Anyone else having trouble with GPS? Moto Droid

minmongoblin

Reaction score
The gps icon is enabled on my power bar, and Google Maps can find my location and give listed directions, but when I ask it to Navigate, it loads the program ("Google Navigation Beta", etc), then just gets stuck saying "Searching for GPS". The satellite icon is in my notification bar so it seems like it's trying to work...anyone experiencing something similar, or have a fix?

ChooChoo

Reaction score
Yup, I've had this problem about three times in the last two weeks. Case in point, I navigated to some tennis courts about 15 miles away using the Droid's navigation -- I keep it in a motorola car dock on my windshield. 2 hours later after finishing my tennis match I tried to navigate to my next appt, used the voice search and got the constant "searching for location". Even a reboot didn't fix the problem (but the reboot did let me see maps, which implies that the GPS was working).

I'm wondering if it overheats or something like that...

OP
M

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I GUESS it may have been hot...I was playing music too...but that's never been an issue before, I've used music + GPS lots of times before...hoping there's a fix, or an issue at Google and not the phone.

ShowTime

Reaction score
It's been a relatively common topic/problem as of late. I've experienced it more recently myself as well. We may just have to wait and see if FROYO brings any help.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I've had this problem too. A reboot sometimes helps if I've been waiting a while. Lately, I've noticed that it sometimes takes about 10-15 minutes to find a signal.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty common issue (don't forget that there is a search function as well as site restricted Google searches). The GPS receiver is having a problem getting a fix for whatever reason.

Try toggling GPS off and then on. If that doesn't help, try power cycling the Droid. If that doesn't help, dial *228 and pick option 1. That approach has, at least, worked for me so far everytime the GPS receiver starts to act up.

GPS Status is a handy app that will show you what satellites the receiver is picking up and whether or not it is able to obtain a fix.

No idea what the actual cause is but I'd suspect it has something to do with GPS being assisted and having issues falling back to standalone mode.