Google maps

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I looked at my app list. I don't see anything that would be using my GPS? Any other suggestions?

WillRunForBeer

Reaction score
I looked at my app list. I don't see anything that would be using my GPS? Any other suggestions?

Based on something on google mobile help forum (link to thread), I tried removing battery AND SD card, then the GPS which wasn't working for several hours started working -- was seeing just a couple of satellites (GPS Status and GPS Test), but now seeing 10.

No idea why removing SD card helped (I'd tried the battery a couple of times before), but it did.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with google maps? Under settings satellite and wireless are checked. Problem is it can't find my location and my navigation keeps saying searching for GPS signal. I was outside and let it search for 20 mins. Nothing. Any ideas or is my phone messed up? May need to take it back. I bought the Droid for the GPS navigation. Any suggestions? Nexus One is sounding so good. Only if VZW had it already.

Hey, I had this happen after the last google maps update too. I let my phone sit for like 10 mins and it still couldn't find a GPS signal. No matter what I did (uninstall/install/*228-2/shut offon) the GPS couldn't find the signal.

Yesterday, I did a *228 - 1 just for the heck of it and restarted the phone. Now the GPS signal works immediately like before.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Big McGuire what is the *228-1 you are talking about? What does it do? Also, does anyone know if twicca uses GPS for anything?

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
Big McGuire what is the *228-1 you are talking about? What does it do? Also, does anyone know if twicca uses GPS for anything?

He is talking about dialing *228, and then when it tells you for programming select 1.

I didn't think you could use this with a Droid. I tried it once and it failed on me.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Tried the battery and SD card pull. Actually today it worked somewhat. The GPS got me where I needed to go but then couldn't find location with places directory to find a place to eat for lunch. Will try the *228 and see if it helps. I feel im running out of options. Any other suggestions?

funken

Reaction score
Occasionally it can take awhile for the Droid to acquire satellites. One thing that really speeds this process up (at least for me) is rotating the phone on it's axes. Think 3-D figure-eight. My Droid usually finds it's location within a few seconds after that. Might want to give that a try.

This has worked for me.