Root + Free Wifi hotspot is illegal

patfactorx

Reaction score
Aren't you stealing if you hotspot for free? Cuz the carrier charges for it if u didn't root.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^I don't get it. You said it is illegal in the thread title but your post was a question of its legality.

hatcyl

Reaction score
I'm usually againts piracy and stealing and although I don't tether myself (no use for it) I support those who do.

If you want a smartphone you are forced to get a data plan for it, if you are forced to pay for data you should be able to use it however you want.

People who tether might be doing something illegal but it's Verizon who's doing something wrong.

And don't get me started on all that crapware they preinstall on almost all phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a instigating topic, that's going to lead to nothing but a counter productive thread.

Last edited:
OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
This sounds like a instigating topic, that's going to lead to nothing but a counter productive thread.

Sorry I meant to present my point of view and ask others (especially those who work for a carrier) what the actual law saws about this

regulis7

Reaction score
Using the Rooted WiFi or the non root Tether without adding the Mobile BroadBand Connect feature to your account is not "illegal" but it is against the Terms and Conditions of your service agreement with VZW.

If for some reason your account get flagged for review and it turns out you are tethering via a third party app or with Rooted WiFi then your account could be disconnected due to violation of the T&C agreement you entered with VZW.

Does this happen? Not often but it can happen. If your average data useage is 1-5GB per month on your handset and then jumps to 50-100GB a month you should not be surprised to get a call/email/letter from VZW.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Rooting your phone is NOT illegal, it just violates the TOS and your Warranty. However some of the apps and or things you can do with a rooted phone MAY be illegal.

Sent from my DROID X.

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Sounds to me like someone is upset cause they can't figure out how to hack apps...

DROID X Rolling On £IBERTY ROM 1.0 // TapTalk Pro™

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In a sense, it's illegal because you're technically stealing a service. I can't justify it, and I'm not going to try, but I do tether.

I really don't feel bad now that VZW is giving iPhone users tether access for free.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
In a sense, it's illegal because you're technically stealing a service. I can't justify it, and I'm not going to try, but I do tether.

I really don't feel bad now that VZW is giving iPhone users tether access for free.

Nobody ever said the tether access on the iPhone will be free. They just mentioned that the option is in the menu. It will STILL bring you to a VZW signup page if you try and use it.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nobody ever said the tether access on the iPhone will be free. They just mentioned that the option is in the menu. It will STILL bring you to a VZW signup page if you try and use it.

VZW has openly stated that it's free, as they're trying to makeup for the inability to talk and use data at the same time.

In fact, iOS 4.3 is installing the free wireless tether app on all iPhones.