Root + Free Wifi hotspot is illegal

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you want a smartphone you are forced to get a data plan for it, if you are forced to pay for data you should be able to use it however you want.
Not if you agree to the TOS which states otherwise.

People who tether might be doing something illegal but it's Verizon who's doing something wrong.
Perhaps but that's a matter for the courts.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I think Verizon just wants the ability to go after users who abuse their device. Yes, us Droid users have been able to tether (rooted) for a long time. Yes, Verizon had the option of charging us for tethering but never did. Of the thousands of droid users tethering, Verizon hasn't done anything about them, why? Because they stay under the 5GB limit and don't abuse their wireless data. I've called Verizon Wireless probably 10 times and gotten every tech to say it is ok to Tether as long as I stay under 5GB and that there is no way to pay for tethering (I even asked to pay so I could do it without breaking the TOS) -- and they said they couldn't and that it was ok to tether as long as I didn't go past 5GB.

I think the TOS is there to legally slam users doing XX GB tethering on their droid loading up the network.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Verizon just wants the ability to go after users who abuse their device. Yes, us Droid users have been able to tether (rooted) for a long time. Yes, Verizon had the option of charging us for tethering but never did. Of the thousands of droid users tethering, Verizon hasn't done anything about them, why? Because they stay under the 5GB limit and don't abuse their wireless data. I've called Verizon Wireless probably 10 times and gotten every tech to say it is ok to Tether as long as I stay under 5GB and that there is no way to pay for tethering (I even asked to pay so I could do it without breaking the TOS) -- and they said they couldn't and that it was ok to tether as long as I didn't go past 5GB.

I think the TOS is there to legally slam users doing XX GB tethering on their droid loading up the network.

i hope you got those techs' names if vzw ever does come after you haha...but seriously i doubt they'd ever try to stop you, itd be a waste of their time

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

There is a $20 plan that will allow the use of tethering via 3G Hotspot.

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
I called Verizon and had them show me where the Terms and Conditions and the Customer Agreement are. I asked if rooting or tethering were illegal or a violation of either of the above and they said that they could not see where it said that. We know it is now legal as the Library of Congress has said so. Correct? Can someone post a link with the quoted text that says that it would be a violation of Terms and Agreement?

want a droid

Reaction score
Is the Verizon iPhone really going to have free hotspot access? I don't understand how they could offer that to just one specific phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the Verizon iPhone really going to have free hotspot access? I don't understand how they could offer that to just one specific phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

No it's going to be twenty a month

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
Palm Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot

Just checked my wife's phone and the Mobile Hotspot is free...

Again, nowhere on the Terms and Conditions or Customer Agreement does it say rooting or tethering is a violation.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nobody ever said the tether access on the iPhone will be free. They just mentioned that the option is in the menu. It will STILL bring you to a VZW signup page if you try and use it.

VZW has openly stated that it's free, as they're trying to makeup for the inability to talk and use data at the same time.

In fact, iOS 4.3 is installing the free wireless tether app on all iPhones.

I never read anywhere that it was to be free, if you can provide me a link saying so I will retract my statement. Everyone assumed it would be free with the Droid X/Droid 2 - and in fact, it is not. Just because the app is there doesn't mean there is no charge to use it. In the case of the DX/D2; attempting to use it without having a broadband connect plan will simply take you to VZW's signup page. The app is on all D2/DX devices, but it is not free at all.

If VZW makes it free at all, it will probably be a limited time deal.

According to this article on Cnet, it will be $20 extra per month for 2GB allotment, and $20/GB overage charge.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20029568-37.html

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I think its stupid in some cases, like myself,I jump on my home wifi and tether to my non wifi capable( ancient) laptop. I'm already paying for home internet, why should I pay again for theirs? now if I were using my 3G data,I could understand that. They need to seperate wifi and 3g tether somehow.a simple block of the native tether option when not on wifi would do fine, and I could live with that. I understand paying more to tether 3g because you'll likely be using considerably more data. Though, just to gauge usage for one month I tethered 3g and barely cracked 1gb and that's using the phone outside tether. I'm sure others would be much higher but I really just use the laptop for business.

Sent from my DROID running UD2.5 @ 1.25Ghz

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Again, nowhere on the Terms and Conditions or Customer Agreement does it say rooting or tethering is a violation.

The Palm Pre Plus is the ONLY device on VZW with free mobile hotspot. I think they did this as an attempt to boost sales numbers for the Pre.

My take on free tethering on other devices is that it is okay ONLY if you do not abuse it, and your using it doesn't cause you to use more data than you normally would per month. If you are going to tether excessively, you should pony up the $20 monthly fee.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its stupid in some cases, like myself,I jump on my home wifi and tether to my non wifi capable( ancient) laptop. I'm already paying for home internet, why should I pay again for theirs? now if I were using my 3G data,I could understand that. They need to seperate wifi and 3g tether somehow.a simple block of the native tether option when not on wifi would do fine, and I could live with that. I understand paying more to tether 3g because you'll likely be using considerably more data. Though, just to gauge usage for one month I tethered 3g and barely cracked 1gb and that's using the phone outside tether. I'm sure others would be much higher but I really just use the laptop for business.

Sent from my DROID running UD2.5 @ 1.25Ghz

I don't really think they care if you are using your own WiFi connection to tether, as they would really have no way to tell. They can only see the packets going thru their own network. All you are doing is using your phone as a USB wifi card for your laptop.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

seriously? sure it does. Terms & Conditions

i've said it before and i'll say it again. what makes people think a multi-billion dollar corporation would have a loophole that big...why do people continue to think that VZW is a mom and pop organization?

no one here is going to uncover anything groundbreaking. Tethering violates your TOS, so does rooting...just accept it and then make the choice if you want to do it or not...

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score

seriously? sure it does. Terms & Conditions

i've said it before and i'll say it again. what makes people think a multi-billion dollar corporation would have a loophole that big...why do people continue to think that VZW is a mom and pop organization?

no one here is going to uncover anything groundbreaking. Tethering violates your TOS, so does rooting...just accept it and then make the choice if you want to do it or not...

Dude, firstly chill out... I did not attack you or anyone else on here. Secondly, stop taking my post out of context and then adding words into my post. I never said Verizon was a "mom and pop shop" as you put it or that I had found out some new epiphany regarding Verizon's service. I am simply looking for factual information with actual quoted text from the Verizon site.

I've already read the Customer Agreement but you left out the part where I asked for a quote that shows WHERE it says anything about rooting or tether or indicates anything even remotely similar. The only thing that I could find in both the Terms and Services and Customer Agreement was this in the Customer Agreement:

"(d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications"

It does not say your device software, your OS, your anything but the device. Again, I'm asking here; Can someone please quote the Customer Agreement or Terms and Services where it says that this activity is a violation of your Customer Agreement/Terms and Services?

Finally, if the Verizon people are so against tethering and rooting, why doesn't Verizon train their Customer Service department to understand what this means and how to deal with the questions appropriately. The woman I talked to this evening basically read me the paragraph that contained the quoted text above from the Customer Agreement and stated that she could not find anything that was against what I was asking about. I also don't understand why they just don't change their TaS and CA with the exact terms "rooting and tethering".

Thanks in advance for any input that isn't inflammatory, out of context or just plain rude.

Last edited: