patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
ATT btw is charging for tethering if u got the laptop dock =0(

write your congressman if you don't like how the carriers are price gouging

metasoarous

Reaction score
Something is amiss

I agree with those here who are making the point that Verizon is the carrier and they have the right to establish their plans and user agreements the way the see fit. And naturally, it does make sense for them to ask for more from users who will be tethering/hotspotting, as these users really are much more likely to be using quite a bit more data (and should therefore carry more of the financial load for keeping the network running). However, here is what doesn't make sense - the amount extra that they are charging.

Take a look at Clear Wire - They sell unlimited 4G mobile internet for $45/month ($55 for 3G/4G). So if I download 100GB of data off of their network within a month, my $45-$55 is able to cover that on their network (even if it requires averaging with all of the other users $/data usage). So then why is it that if I'm already paying in the neighbourhood of $80/month for Verizon's voice and unlimited data, I should have to pay $20 more for only 2GB? That seems retarded. And then $20 for each GB on top of that? By the time I've used 4GB, I may as well have just gotten Clear wire service on top of cell service, which seems stupid if I already carry around an Android phone. I can see paying a little bit more for the convenience of having the phone be my hotspot (and it is a lovely convenience), but for these usage fees, screw that. I'm either gonna tether out of contract or pay Clear Wire.

My hope is that Clear Wire is able to capitalize on this situation by digging into the wireless market. If they do, Verizon and others will be forced to stop being so asinine in their pricing.

vatothe0

Reaction score
As soon as Clear offers a service that can provide 20mbps to a moving target, they can charge what Verizon does. Until then, they will be less expensive because it's a less valuable product.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

illmatic636

Reaction score
This thread sucks and is about as productive as my post.

Cheers

camshazam

Reaction score
Using the Rooted WiFi or the non root Tether without adding the Mobile BroadBand Connect feature to your account is not "illegal" but it is against the Terms and Conditions of your service agreement with VZW.

If for some reason your account get flagged for review and it turns out you are tethering via a third party app or with Rooted WiFi then your account could be disconnected due to violation of the T&C agreement you entered with VZW.

Does this happen? Not often but it can happen. If your average data useage is 1-5GB per month on your handset and then jumps to 50-100GB a month you should not be surprised to get a call/email/letter from VZW.

Doesn't that Barnacle app hide your usage though?

vatothe0

Reaction score
It still goes through Verizon's network, so no.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

ktackel

Reaction score
Thanks!

turn on "3g mobile hotspot w/the check mark (preinstalled, no need to download a new hotspot app.) Find the connection on laptop wireless setup and try a webpage and get the Verizon block. Then proceed to the phone home page and tap on the phone dialer and type: <br>
*#*#info#*#* the screen should default to the testing page. click on phone information, scroll to bottom, turn the radio off and back on. Laptop should now be able to bypass the Verizon block page until the next session
<br><br>Thanks! I rarely have a need to tether but for the few times I may need to this is a good option without rooting. Have you run into any issues doing this?