Returning the Rezound - Am I Missing Something?

Burnicus

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm missing anything in terms of the signal working correctly/overall bugs. Evaluating the device for another week, because the VZ rep convinced me that there was no reason not to. Details are below.

I didn't receive any replies on the 3G posting, so I'm posting again here. VZ sent a replacement device (but no SIM) for an issue with 3g/4g signal. Initially, my rezound wasn't picking up any 3g signal. After toggling back and forth last week, the device started rebooting and wouldn't stop. VZ's answer (it always is) was to perform a factory reset. Factory reset got the phone working again, but I lost all my settings (Maybe google services hadn't backed them up yet? I've had very little luck with google backups).

In the mts this past weekend, I had 1x and 3g service but couldn't send messages or make calls. I could receive them, but could not send. I was standing next to someone with a VZ device that was receiving perfect signal. Once I returned to the city Sun, the messaging was working again, but not well. On Mon all of the failed messages were sent after I rebooted (I rebooted multiple times over the weekend).

I was going to activate the new device today, but they didn't send a SIM card.

I'm interested in others opinions on these issues as the support from VZ and HTC has been terrible. Is it possible that a device or SIM card issue could cause these problems or is it more like a (beta) 4g network problem? Is this HTC, or 4g devices in general? Will rooting and installing custom ROMs fix this, and will that void my warranty? I know HTC allows you to root, but VZ does not.

I will try to continue to be a part of the forums, because I support Android at work, but I may have to make the switch to the darkside. I just can't take the lack of ownership/support for issues and flakiness as a tradeoff for having the abilty to customize.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well look at the bright side.. you can always be forced to take your phone to an apple store...and wait over an hour for customers who claim issues with their phone for stuff like turning off tty mode. While you wait for these brain dead folks to get their phones "fixed"

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

cp24eva

Reaction score
your issue seems very intermittent and COULD possibly be the sim. my gf had an issue with her phone. The problem was fixed many hours down the road. problem was they sent her the wrong sim. your problem is different though. I'd say get a new phone, new sim and a new battery. If at that point you have issues then maybe it's a sign that the rezound was not destined to be for you. and then maybe the Nexus was. my Rezound work so good. initially I wanted to root it, but there honestly is no need to other than the fact that the battery could use a little boost.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
B

Burnicus

Reaction score
your issue seems very intermittent and COULD possibly be the sim. my gf had an issue with her phone. The problem was fixed many hours down the road. problem was they sent her the wrong sim. your problem is different though. I'd say get a new phone, new sim and a new battery. If at that point you have issues then maybe it's a sign that the rezound was not destined to be for you. and then maybe the Nexus was. my Rezound work so good. initially I wanted to root it, but there honestly is no need to other than the fact that the battery could use a little boost.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I have a replacement SIM on the way. Replacement battery and phone are sitting at my desk. I appreciate the response cp24eva. I REALLY don't want to go to Apple. I just can't deal with the support runaround and shoddy workmanship.

I can't go Nexus without a decent camera and with the signal problems they've had/have. I'm intersted in the D4, but I'm scared that it will receive the same level of support as my D2 did (read none). RAZR is a non starter with an integrated battery and SIM.

Yakitori, I understand your point, but I think you missed mine. I'm trying to figure out if this is truly a bug, or faulty hardware, or if this is something that people have just learned to live with. I'm particularly intersted in individuals that have signal issues when in 3g areas, because that seems to be when mine acts up the worst.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your problems is like mine was your in a not great service area and your device is trying to connect to *22899 prls and its jacking everything up. My first rezound and sim card tried to connect to another companys towers via *22899 and I had to get a new Sim, I cried enough and got a new device also. Its very important that the first time it communicates it hits verizons towers. In my area it was UScellualar causing the problems. I'm in a HEAVY UScellualar area and the poor phone was getting hyjacked just cause of where we were standing in the store.

I know it sound's crazy but with the new device and new sim they let me go activate it alone where I knew I would have no problem, and it worked/still works amazingly

Nealius

Reaction score
I traded my nexus for a rezound last night. They had a devil of a time activating it. 2 hours on the phone with tech support. No idea why I even bothered to leave with it. I rebooted it today when I couldn't get a widget to stick. Stupid thing went into a reboot loop. It would come up with no signal and reboot. Tried a new sim card but it wouldn't activate. After 2 crap nexus phones I'm waiting for them to get a new rezound in. Sounds like I had the same issue. I'm back on my og and the rezound is dead in my trunk until Friday at least. This is the last attempt. If I huave an issue I'm sticking with my trusty og until the next wave of phones. Its a bummer when you are looking forward to a new cool toy and instead you get a box of poo!

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

Schimm

Reaction score
Ugh..... You're in return h@ll it appears. If it is any consolation, I returned the Nexus for its now infamous crappy signal capabilities and equally crappy battery life. Then I went to the Rezound which had to be returned for a variety of issues I was having. My 2nd Rezound has operated normally. Three phones in three weeks. And this one has been quite enjoyable.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.

Nealius

Reaction score
Ugh..... You're in return h@ll it appears. If it is any consolation, I returned the Nexus for its now infamous crappy signal capabilities and equally crappy battery life. Then I went to the Rezound which had to be returned for a variety of issues I was having. My 2nd Rezound has operated normally. Three phones in three weeks. And this one has been quite enjoyable.

Im hoping for the same result. 3 phone in 3 days is no fun at all.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Wow, I hope you guys have better luck. My phone skips 3g many times and only goes to 1x but I never have a problem with calls and can always send texts. no re-boot problems here either and I haven't rooted it. i only hate the battery life and will probably get the extended battery soon. I tried to get the battery during the VZW mess up but they cancelled my order even though others got theirs. they did offer me a 30% discount though. Maybe I should press for more since the battery life sucks azz.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Wow, I hope you guys have better luck. My phone skips 3g many times and only goes to 1x but I never have a problem with calls and can always send texts. no re-boot problems here either and I haven't rooted it. i only hate the battery life and will probably get the extended battery soon. I tried to get the battery during the VZW mess up but they cancelled my order even though others got theirs. they did offer me a 30% discount though. Maybe I should press for more since the battery life sucks azz.

Battery life can be a bit of a hassle. The extended battery works wonder. If you can get passed the look and feel of it (which isn't bad actually) then I'd say go for it. OR You can get this Cradle plus an extra battery charger slot. Seems nice. I just ordered one today. will post up results when I get the device.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Battery life can be a bit of a hassle. The extended battery works wonder. If you can get passed the look and feel of it (which isn't bad actually) then I'd say go for it. OR You can get this Cradle plus an extra battery charger slot. Seems nice. I just ordered one today. will post up results when I get the device.

Great..you pushed that cradle so hard that you broke the cradle link on Amazon....now I can't order it...Thanks CP haha

Schimm

Reaction score
I'm using the extended battery.... Last nite at 14 hours I was at 60 percent left with moderate use. I was very happy with that.

OP
B

Burnicus

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice/comiseration. I was afraid that this was not isolated to me. It just points to crappy quality control in my mind. How could this many defective devices make their way out the door? I think part of it is that we accept them. I don't care for the Apple ecosystem, but I'm starting to see the logic of it. Is it too much to ask for a device that just works? We don't need 5000 devices a year, we need a few that work.
The lack of ownership when problems like this occur is infuriating. I don't care if it's a VZW or HTC issue, I just care that someone fixes it.
I'm giving my second Rezound a chance (once I get a new SIM card from VZ, and I'll try what you suggested *22899), but if it so much as hiccups during the weekend it's going back. Maybe give the D4 a shot and just hope that they'll support it for more than 8 months......

Mikeinctown - Just a word of warning, that is what was happening with mine prior to the crash. Also, you should be able to get 3g otherwise you're going to have a bad time in any area where 4g isn't avail.

mikeinctown

Reaction score

I already have an extra standard battery that HTC sent me when I complained I was only getting 3 hours or so out of a full battery. (phone was exchanged when the new battery didn't help) i don't really use it because I don't want to worry about wearing out the back cover as it is part of the antenna and after a while I would assume the cover won't stay on the same and would actually start losing signal strength.