Question About purchasing Nexus from stranger

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
I can't figure out why he'd be willing to give away a phone he just paid $300 for just to cancel his line.

It sounds squirrely and is only saving you $100 from another used nexus. What is your upgrade status?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

My upgrade is not till Christmas. My wife used mine last year so she could get a new phone. Im still rocking the OG Droid with Liquid 3.2 :biggrin:

The ext battery is also included.

I just spoke with a verizon rep over the phone and he said it would be a whole lot easier if I just payed for the persons ETF instead of opening another account to my line. So I guess Im just going to tell the seller that I will pay for his ETF for he phone but not take over his line. For some reason he just wants to get rid of the line so not sure if that will work.

Beka27

Reaction score
Hmm. I don't know, but hopefully it works to your benefit. Keep us posted, if you don't mind.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Who knows what's going through his mind and to be honest that wouldn't even be a concern of mine. If I were in your shoes and I knew there were no consequences of taking over his line, canceling it, and getting the Nexus out of it, I'd go for it. I don't know if you could find a used Nexus for that price right now, but if that's how you're gonna get it with extended battery too, go for it is what I say.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Well i talked to another Verizon Rep and he said it sounded like a big hassle and to just pay for the sellers ETF. So I told the seller that I wasn't comfortable with taking over the line and offered to meet him in the store and pay for his ETF. He said no thank you because paying the ETF takes time and that Verizon wont let you pay it right away. You have to wait till the end of your billing cycle for the payed off ETF to show up plus prorated charges.

Well if that is true then it is a good thing I didn't take over the account. I thought I could just transfer it over to my name and cancel it immediately by paying the ETF. Not sure if that is correct but either way it seems like its not as simple as I thought it would be. Sounds like I would have been paying more than 350 with the prorate and what not.

Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully another good deal comes along.

Beka27

Reaction score
Again, HE is really better off just returning the phone/cancelling the line if he IS in fact still within the return period. Sometimes it's just too big of a hassle and not worth saving a few dollars.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Just wondering if any verizon or people with knowledge on this could give me some advice? I found someone in my area who is selling their brand new Nexus. The catch is its on one of his lines from a his family plan that he recently activated and he wants to get rid of the line. The line would be transferred over to my name and then I would cancel the line for the early termination fee which is 350.00. For doing this I would get the phone which is only a month old for free. So basically I would be paying 350 for a Nexus off contract in the end.
That is clever. Yeah, I would do that.

Only downside is that you will probably have no warranty on it, and I dont know if Asurion would even insure it. I am sure there are 3rd party companies that might. Other than that, it sounds like a great deal actually.

t35rk

Reaction score
He sounds like he may be a little desperate to remove the line from his family plan.

Offer him $250. :D

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Besides no warranty it sounds great!

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

t35rk

Reaction score
Probably not applicable to the op, but I have noticed a couple of these "deals" locally. What makes them interesting to some is that these assumed contracts the seller wants to unload may come with transferable grandfathered unlimited data. For a buyer looking to open a new line, this is a win/win. I just saw a locally advertised free Dinc1 to take over a line. That would be a great deal.

Last edited: