Question about switching from Verizon to Sprint

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have 4 lines with verizon right now, and all of them except 1 (my dads line) are on month to month with no contract. My dads line will be off-contract on December 15th. I was planning on leaving Verizon on that day and going to sprint, however I started thinking and I'm wondering if this is possible: Could I go to Sprint now and switch those 3 lines that arent on a contract to Sprint, and keep my dads line on Verizon by itself until December 15th? I'm assuming I would be able to switch the plan to a basic line as my dads phone is a dumb phone and my phone (the main line) is a smart phone. Currently I pay about $190 a month for all 4 lines, but if I can do what I explained above, could I keep my dads line for maybe like $50 a month until the contract ends and then cancel on that date?

I'm just wondering how that would work because I heard that when you switch carriers, you go to the new carrier before canceling your old plan, so I'd go to Sprint, tell them I'm switching to them from Verizon, and they would handle all of the cancelations. But if I'm keeping one of those lines open with Verizon, would they drop my plan to a basic one for the phone my dad has without me doing anything, or would I have to go to Verizon right after and tell them?

Anyways, sounds confusing but I hope someone knows what I'm trying to say and if you do, I'd love to know if I can do this!

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I would move your Dad's line with VZW first to whatever plan you want to keep him but be sure that it does not lock you into a 2 year contract...then port the remaining numbers to Sprint.

Also, if you end your contract (4th line) it should be considerably less as VZW decreases the amount each as it nears the end of the contract but I cannot tell you how much. Also, if you port to Sprint, they might offer some monetary enticement which might make cancelling (terminating contract on your Dad's line) worth it...

Good luck!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As STG stated you can end your father's contract early. If he has a basic phone then the ETF (early termination fee) is $175 - ($5 x the number of months you have completed with his contract/ So if his contract ends on December 15, on the 15th of October he will have completed 22 months of his 2 year contract and you could end his line for $65 and switch to sprint then.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As STG stated you can end your father's contract early. If he has a basic phone then the ETF (early termination fee) is $175 - ($5 x the number of months you have completed with his contract/ So if his contract ends on December 15, on the 15th of October he will have completed 22 months of his 2 year contract and you could end his line for $65 and switch to sprint then.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.

+1. You'd probably save the $65 in hardly any time. Verizon will add the $65 to your final bill. Let Sprint handle the entire port (all 4 lines now not 3 now,1 later) would be my advice.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Hm that makes a lot of sense, didn't think about the ETF fee being relatively small. One question about that though, would my dad have to get a new number? His number isn't as crucial since he's only had that phone for less than 2 years and barely uses it, but wont he have to get a new number if we switch before his contract expires?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Hm that makes a lot of sense, didn't think about the ETF fee being relatively small. One question about that though, would my dad have to get a new number? His number isn't as crucial since he's only had that phone for less than 2 years and barely uses it, but wont he have to get a new number if we switch before his contract expires?

No, when you port a number, you are taking it with you. If you just cancel his line without porting, then the number goes dead and he would need a new one. You technically own the number.

You could just take the 3 lines now and wait until Dec 16th (if you port the number on the 15th, you're still charged an ETF). Is your dad on a basic phone?

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
No, when you port a number, you are taking it with you. If you just cancel his line without porting, then the number goes dead and he would need a new one. You technically own the number.

You could just take the 3 lines now and wait until Dec 16th (if you port the number on the 15th, you're still charged an ETF). Is your dad on a basic phone?
Yea it's a basic line. Not sure if that affects things but i'm glad to hear he can keep his number!