Question About purchasing Nexus from stranger

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Just wondering if any verizon or people with knowledge on this could give me some advice? I found someone in my area who is selling their brand new Nexus. The catch is its on one of his lines from a his family plan that he recently activated and he wants to get rid of the line. The line would be transferred over to my name and then I would cancel the line for the early termination fee which is 350.00. For doing this I would get the phone which is only a month old for free. So basically I would be paying 350 for a Nexus off contract in the end.

Is there any catch here that I should be looking out for? I contacted Verizon and they said there is no hidden fee it would only be 350 and my credit would not be hurt by canceling this line immediately. I offered this person that I could just pay for him to cancel it and he just give me the phone. He said he would rather I put it in my name and cancel it from my account. He said he would meet me at a Verizon store to do it. If his account checks out with no past dues and the phone is not stolen then why would I not do this? Also though why is he insisting I put it in my name? My wife thinks something is not right but I cant seem to figure out what could be bad?

Im not up for a upgrade yet that is why Im looking for a Nexus. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe ETF goes on as a note on your account? I don't know, never had to deal with it before. You did the right thing contacting Verizon and making sure to agree you both will be in store dealing with the transaction. Hopefully someone with more knowledge posts, but to my knowledge, nothing fishy here.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is that he's assuming an ETF would fall under the category of defaulting on a payment (which would affect your credit score). I'd make damn sure with Verizon this wasn't the case before going through with it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ambrown

Reaction score
Yeah I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Maybe the guy just wants to make sure the line is gone, or he has some other notion about how ETFs and line cancellations work. I mean I saw people do funny things to be rid of stuff they don't want, especially when they felt slighted by the company, when I used to work credit cards.

But hey, it gets you that GNex for a good deal. I would just make sure everything was very clear with Verizon so they don't give you the wrong info or later try to charge you for something (besides the ETF of course).

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Last edited:
OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Ya I will definitely talk to Verizon at the store and make sure they cant ding me for something else in the future. Knowing my luck I will get an employee that doesn't know any better, say everything is good and a month from now find out Im screwed and owing a ton of money for something this person did last year on their account.

Part of me wants to push the idea of me just paying him to cancel it. I hope syndicate0017 is right and this person just thinks that if he cancels it on his own line that he will be dinged.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Disregard the 1 week old. There was nothing said about it being only one week.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm just confused about why he wouldn't cancel the line/return the phone? Doesn't Verizon still have a 14-day return policy? This sounds like too big of a hassle for HIM. Seems fishy IMO.

t35rk

Reaction score
Huh? Unless I'm missing something, the phone will have a bad esn if the contract is cancelled early.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Huh? Unless I'm missing something, the phone will have a bad esn if the contract is cancelled early.

That's not true.

I've canceled early before, and as long as the ETF is paid by the due date on your bill, it's open to be activated on another line. If the ETF is not paid before the due date, the phone will be black listed until it's paid.

This was also before the $350 ETF fee was added, but I'd assume it's the same as it was with $175.

t35rk

Reaction score
That's not true.

I've canceled early before, and as long as the ETF is paid by the due date on your bill, it's open to be activated on another line. If the ETF is not paid before the due date, the phone will be black listed until it's paid.

This was also before the $350 ETF fee was added, but I'd assume it's the same as it was with $175.

If I read the op I wouldn't have missed that. Whoops.

So the seller paid Verizon $300 up front for the Nexus and is willing to give it away for free a couple weeks later to someone who will pay the ETF? Something sounds fishy.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
To be fair to the seller he was just trying to get someone to take over his line that was not being used on his family plan. When I found out the ETF was 350 I came up with the idea to pay his ETF for him and he would give me his phone. He said he would rather have me just take over the line.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No phone equals no deal. Plus if you pick up that line you will have to place a phone on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Do you guys think that maybe he just wants to get a new phone has no upgrades and doesn't want to go into Verizon cancel one and open up another so he add another line to get another upgrade? I dont know Im just trying to talk myself into doing this because it sounds like a good deal and I really want a Nexus.
Also thanks for everyone who has already responded. Its good to hear other voices other than your wife and your own.

t35rk

Reaction score
Do you guys think that maybe he just wants to get a new phone has no upgrades and doesn't want to go into Verizon cancel one and open up another so he add another line to get another upgrade? I dont know Im just trying to talk myself into doing this because it sounds like a good deal and I really want a Nexus.
Also thanks for everyone who has already responded. Its good to hear other voices other than your wife and your own.

I can't figure out why he'd be willing to give away a phone he just paid $300 for just to cancel his line.

It sounds squirrely and is only saving you $100 from another used nexus. What is your upgrade status?