God I hate Verizon

Caesars

Reaction score
I bet fox could do it because he swapped it with a DROID, making me believe Amazons policy is based on your monthly rate going down (or not going down). Many dealers will charge your credit card if you don't pay your bill, cancel, or change an esn because they get paid commission on what they sell you, and have charge backs on commissions for up to 6 months.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
MonKENy

MonKENy

Reaction score
This is completely backwards. Straight from Verizon (using your example)...

Your first sentence is accurate. Where the information becomes inaccurate is in the second sentence.

If you use line A which has an upgrade available to purchase a phone at the upgrade price, line A will now have the newer contract and will have to wait 2 years to terminate without an early termination fee. It doesn't matter what phone line or number that new phone is ported to, all that matters is that line A was the line used to effect that upgrade and so line A will now be on the new two year contact.

Now, you can move phones from one line to another by swapping ESNs (MEID). I did this with my wife's phone. She had the same number for over 15 years (sane as me), but the line she was on wasn't eligible for an upgrade. At that time, Amazon was running the .01 cent sale on RAZRs, so I opened a new line on my family plan for her new phone, adding a new two year contract with the double data plan (4GB for the 2GB price . Then I swapped that phone over to her grandfathered unlimited data plan, stuck my OG Droid on that line to continue the obligation and now my wife has a RAZR, same old phone number and her number is still grandfathered for unlimited data, and is not under the new 2-year agreement, the new phone number with the OGD is. Also, I used the available upgrade on one other line I had that was out of contract to subsidize my RAZR purchase and again, I am still grandfathered and beyond my contract cutoff date Meanwhile the line I used for that upgrade is now under a new two-year agreement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You are correct Im sorry I got so convoluted I mixed myself up LMAO

So in Turn Line A has available Upgrade Line B wants upgrade. Line B can Take the Upgrade but it then Resets Line A to a 2 year contract again. Thats what Happened to me duh. I went in circles so many times I wound up backwards. He used MY upgrade locking my plan. But no it was in January Tis so that ships sailed.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Okay, I got it, I got it! I got the skinny! And I also now know why my lines' contract end dates are according to the date the phone was purchased and not who had the eligible upgrade. So here's the deal straight from Verizon (FoXKat-you leave me alone. I know I have to eat my words for trying to use FoxKat and incorrect in the same sentence. I think I am going to go up there and edit my post, lmao!):

So FoxKat is correct. The contract end date changes for whoever's eligible upgrade was used. In my case, the Verizon rep explained that the reason why my contract dates were specific to the phone and not who had the eligible upgrade is because I never activated the phone on the line who was eligible for the upgrade. IE. When I bought the Maxx on my son's eligible upgrade, I immediately activated it on my line and never activated it on his line so even though my line was not eligible for an upgrade, the phone was activated on my line first so it was automatic in their system to change the contract date on the line the phone is first activated on. If I had activated it first on the line that was eligible for the upgrade then moved it to my line, then his line would have had the new contract date and that contract date would have remained the same even after moving the phone to my line. In addition, if I now move my maxx over to line D, it will not change my contract end date nor the contract end date I move my Maxx to.

So yes, FoxKat is correct! (I know he is just loving hearing this, LOL)!

One caveat for using a tiered data line to get a subsidized phone and use that phone on an unlimited line: In order to retain the unlimited data, the new subsidized phone must first be activated on the tiered line that was eligible for the upgrade. Once that new phone is activated on that tiered line, it updates that line's contract dates and then the new phone can be moved to any line on the plan without any changes being made to the other lines. BUT if that new phone purchased on the tiered data line's eligible upgrade is first activated on an unlimited data line, it will trigger the contract end date to change on the unlimited data line and cause that line to have to change to a tiered plan. So for those that want to keep your unlimited data but get a subsidized phone, you can if you have a tiered line on your plan that is eligible for an upgrade but you must activate the new phone on that tiered line first before moving it to the unlimited line.

Man, I am so happy I got this figured out! I hope I have not confused anyone in the process. Of course the Verizon rep tried to talk me into going on the family share plan.

iveman89

Reaction score
Okay so that makes sense. In my case, all I have to do is use the upgrade and activate the phone on Line E. Then switch the phone to desired line.

Did you by any chance ask if you can use multiple upgrades on a line? I dont see that as a possibility now that I think about it.