Progress on battery drain...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I've been messing around with the Android System as well as the *system wakelock* massive battery drain. Fact: Android System should never be above 7ish% and system wakelock shouldn't even appear in the Gsam list.

I'm almost POSITIVE all of the battery issues have to do with wifi. I still can't say for sure what's causing it, but for some reason on certain occasions, it's like the phone puts everything it has to use while asleep and on wifi. Everytime I've had it I've had wifi on, even though yes I've had it on far more often without having the issue, is when it's had the Android system drain. Whenever it definitely hasn't been there, I haven't had wifi. Coincidence? Perhaps...

As for the system wakelock, that was a random issue after having widget locker installed for a month or 2. However it went away with wifi off AND after an uninstall/reinstall. But I really think it's something to do with wifi that set's it off.

So here's my thought - If everyone who has this issue, regularly or on and off, can go 2 days without wifi. I'm on a 2gb data plan and am a heavy user and only used about .1mb after going 3 1/2 days on 4g, only at .3 when the pay period ended, so it really won't hurt your data too much and IMO it's a fair trade off to diagnose this issue nobody can seem to officially pinpoint.

This is a mystery all across the internet...let's be the ones to figure it out!

alboboy10

Reaction score
My system wake lock goes high when I use Pandora. My battery drains pretty bad when I have poor service. Other than that it's great

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yeah this phone easily has one of the best batteries out there right now. Unfortunately there's something that causes the phone to freak out and drain itself completely in a matter of 4-5 hours, even while asleep. I'm pretty sure this something is somehow related to wifi...

The system wakelock is relatively new for me, but did only appear with wifi on. Somehow a reinstall of widget locker did the trick though.

JerseyJeanie

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Desire 601
Yeah this phone easily has one of the best batteries out there right now. Unfortunately there's something that causes the phone to freak out and drain itself completely in a matter of 4-5 hours, even while asleep. I'm pretty sure this something is somehow related to wifi...

The system wakelock is relatively new for me, but did only appear with wifi on. Somehow a reinstall of widget locker did the trick though.
I don't have widget locker but my phone has been doing this drain thing since the latest Android update. I have tried all sorts of things and just now turned off wifi and will see what happens. It is so weird because after one night I woke up to my phone being totally dead. NOW I make sure it has at least 80% battery but then I wake up and only have 20-35% and there isn't any sign of any apps running. IN FACT, I use apps to close all apps and then a battery optimizer to clear the "Close Apps" app. Frustrating. I was thinking my battery is funky or something...

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
This was a known "bug" after updating to KitKat I believe! Every time I try to figure out why it happens, I can't find a reason. But the three I have worked on, only fix was to reflash the OS using odin or Kies. And one was the actual battery was quick charged to often and damaged the battery.

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This was a known "bug" after updating to KitKat I believe! Every time I try to figure out why it happens, I can't find a reason. But the three I have worked on, only fix was to reflash the OS using odin or Kies. And one was the actual battery was quick charged to often and damaged the battery.

Tap'n on my Galaxy S4!
In Gsam go to the icon on bottom right that looks like a vacuum and tap it. On top tap the area and change to kernel wake locks, choose the highest user and tap it. Tap Google me. It'll take you to what's causing the problem
nahu6yzy.jpg

aqe3ygeb.jpg

ede8etyn.jpg

eguvava8.jpg

I chose Combined Apps as an example to get the screen shots for but you can do the same for any of them.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk