Worse battery drain after KitKat update

Bara65

Reaction score
It looks like battery drain in standby got noticeably worse, almost twice compared to JB. I don't see any particular app causing this. Still it's not terrible with battery but I like to get back to where it was with JB.

After some looking into what's going on, I figured WiFi is biggest hitter which was never the case prior to KK. If I keep WiFi off in good signal area, it seems to be about the same battery life. But at my work, verizon signal is horrible and I rely on work WiFi for data on phone. I'm not sure if FDR will resolve this WiFi drain issue. It seems more like a bug in KK update. Anyone had similar problem and did factory reset resolved it?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
An FDR is common practice after a major update to avoid any hiccups. I have heard bugs about KK update, but I've already heard that an FDR has fixed a variety of issues that users suffered with the update.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree that Battery life has taken a huge hit. Not sure I'm willing to do a FDR though.

OP
B

Bara65

Reaction score
An FDR is common practice after a major update to avoid any hiccups. I have heard bugs about KK update, but I've already heard that an FDR has fixed a variety of issues that users suffered with the update.

I'm hearing that too. But given this is apparently due to WiFi consuming more power, not sure if FDR will resolve it. Last weekend, I had my phone connected with weak WiFi source at church and it knocked 10% of juice under just 10 minutes of browsing. Never experienced it even with weak WiFi signal prior to KK update.

Seems more like a WiFi bug in KK update, but I will give FDR try this weekend.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Let me know. As a "Tech Guy" in the IT INdustry for... well let's just say a long time... I have a hard time believing a Factory Reset will magically make it start working better.
And YES I know that sometimes full on resets (or reboots for a PC) will do wonders... but I have big doubts here.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

^this^ an FDR has corrected a number of issues across multiple devices, especially after a major update like this.

OP
B

Bara65

Reaction score
I see a lot of battery complaints on KK updates on other phone forums too. The same issue on Maxx HD (which makes sense as it's the same phone with bigger battery), Galaxy Note 3, S4, etc. I wonder why because KitKat is supposed to be more power efficient according to Google. Some folks say FDR fixed it but some others are saying it doesn't change. Seems it only works well for brand new phones that comes with KK from get go.

Anyway I will try FDR on my Razr HD this weekend. If it doesn't improve after that and there is no imminent update to fix bugs, I will bail out earlier than my upgrade cycle and get G3 or S5.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Cool, Bara65. LMK please. I can't believe how bad the battery is now. Yes, KK was supposed to imporve battery life but obviously they missed something... there's a bug somewhere that doesn't seem to affect everyone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I see a lot of battery complaints on KK updates on other phone forums too. The same issue on Maxx HD (which makes sense as it's the same phone with bigger battery), Galaxy Note 3, S4, etc. I wonder why because KitKat is supposed to be more power efficient according to Google. Some folks say FDR fixed it but some others are saying it doesn't change. Seems it only works well for brand new phones that comes with KK from get go.

Anyway I will try FDR on my Razr HD this weekend. If it doesn't improve after that and there is no imminent update to fix bugs, I will bail out earlier than my upgrade cycle and get G3 or S5.

I know I have a Razr M with a smaller battery, but a FDR gained me 10% more battery afterward. I don't know if 10% is worth a FDR or not to others but it has helped me a little. My wife's phone is experiencing bad battery drain so hers is next. I also noticed that if I turn the main Location settings to OFF, I am gaining another 10% more battery each day while at work and not using GPS, etc. If I need Location stuff I turn it back on. After turning Location Off Android OS is now usually #2 or #3 on the battery usage list and not #1. I think KK introduced more location type services & stuff running in the background and that's what is killing batteries. It's just a theory right now, but both of those things gained me 20% battery.

OP
B

Bara65

Reaction score
OK. I did FDR last weekend, going through every setting the way I want (Wifi, location, auto sync with google apps). It automatically reinstalled all my apps though I didn't tell it to do that.

Seems it's slightly better but not where it used to be with JB. The biggest issue is still WiFi draining too much juice. It's always near the top of battery usage chart. If I leave WiFi on when there is no access point to connect with, it takes rapid downturn during standby. I never had this issue prior to KK. Battery life was equally good regardless of Wifi on/off. So now I have to remember to turn it off when going outside. If it's on good LTE connection, it seems to do much better with battery though still a little worse than JB. I tried turning location on/off (battery saver mode or off), but don't feel much difference.

As above poster mentioned I think KK is doing a lot more location related stuff as android OS is always very high in battery chart which is the case in other phones. But I don't see this excessive WiFi drain issue in other phones like Moto X, G2, S5, etc. My wife has G2 on AT&T and that phone has WiFi very low in the battery chart despite it being always on. Since it's on different network it's not fair comparison, but that phone blows away mine on battery life almost twice longer. Seems snapdragon 800/801 is very efficient phone processor. I will upgrade in the second half anyway but I hope Moto fixes this issue soon in next update.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you looked at WiFi > Menu > Advanced? There is an option for Always Scanning and Optimize Battery. Turn always scanning off and optimize to On and it might help...might.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bara65

Reaction score
Have you looked at WiFi > Menu > Advanced? There is an option for Always Scanning and Optimize Battery. Turn always scanning off and optimize to On and it might help...might.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yep. it's set up that way. Can't imagine how worse it could be if that option is checked on.

Seems it's closest to battery life with JB when in good LTE signal area with both WiFi, location turned off. Problem is Verizon signal is horrible at my workplace building and I need WiFi connection for data and to prevent battery life from tanking.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep. it's set up that way. Can't imagine how worse it could be if that option is checked on.

Seems it's closest to battery life with JB when in good LTE signal area with both WiFi, location turned off. Problem is Verizon signal is horrible at my workplace building and I need WiFi connection for data and to prevent battery life from tanking.

That's been my observation as well. I have almost no reception where I work so my battery life was bad with JB and worse with KK. But...when I am home and in excellent 4G coverage my battery life is almost as good as JB after the FDR. Maybe there will be some kind of patch before too long that helps? I'm not holding my breath for one...our phones are 2 year old models...but it would be nice.