Battery drain - possibly related to wifi?

kgoodwi2

Reaction score
I have had the Droid Razr for about a year now and has generally been a pretty good phone. But lately something new has started to happen. The phone will start to get very hot and the battery will drain in a matter of minutes. After testing a few things it appears that it is probably related to the wifi somehow. If I turn the wifi on, it will cycle on/off continuously, the phone overheats, and the battery drains very quickly. Turning the wifi off does not stop the overheating issue. The only way to stop the on/off cycling is to reboot the phone. This issue has already affeected my overall battery performance. Even if I do not turn the wifi on, the battery life is just not what it used to be before the wifi problem started. Anyone know of possible solutions that would allow me to use my wifi again?

ddfuji

Reaction score
Check battery info in your setting to see if it list what is abusing your battery.

PauletteL

Reaction score
Battery draining and overheating

I just accepted a Fido/Rogers/Motorola offer of the RAZR HD 4G LTE and received it late Dec 2012. A few days ago the phone overheated to a dangerous level (117 degrees) when left on a cushion and the phone went into some kind of protection mode. I placed it near cool air to cool it down. The phone heats up regularly a lot. Everyday the battery drains down from 100% to 4%. I have not downloaded any apps or videos or music. I have browsed the internet a bit and used phone and text minimally. Yesterday charging the battery (using AC outlet) for over 6 hrs only made the charge increase from 17% to 86% and heat up. I unplugged it overnight and the charge went down to 4%. I have looked at the tips on battery saving and followed instructions. Is this battery defective?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
A couple things I have found that cause a lot of battery drain on WiFi are:
1. Gallery - set it to not download friends pictures. (apparently no longer a problem on JB)
2. If you use google play music, it can be syncing in the background with your primary computer.
3. Picture upload to FB, instagram, etc.

Not sure why you are cycling on and off with WiFi though. I had that problem in the past with my Motorola Xoom but it spontaneously resolved it self. Perhaps you should try rebooting your wifi router.

Fianlly, it seems the moto phones are somewhat sensitive to non-motorola chargers. Some people have mentioned their phones getting hot while charging and others have mentioned funny screen problems. IMHO, you should always use the supplied OEM charger. My Maxx never gets hot while it is plugged in charging, however, if it is charging through the USB port on my PC or the car charger, it seems to get quite warm.

David

ddfuji

Reaction score
I just accepted a Fido/Rogers/Motorola offer of the RAZR HD 4G LTE and received it late Dec 2012. A few days ago the phone overheated to a dangerous level (117 degrees) when left on a cushion and the phone went into some kind of protection mode. I placed it near cool air to cool it down. The phone heats up regularly a lot. Everyday the battery drains down from 100% to 4%. I have not downloaded any apps or videos or music. I have browsed the internet a bit and used phone and text minimally. Yesterday charging the battery (using AC outlet) for over 6 hrs only made the charge increase from 17% to 86% and heat up. I unplugged it overnight and the charge went down to 4%. I have looked at the tips on battery saving and followed instructions. Is this battery defective?

Sounds defective. They should have no problem with switching out your phone. Just let them know what you just said here and they will send a warranty replacement.