Maps and Battery Drain-post Jellybean-settings

dannyro

Reaction score
Ok so Ive noticed that after Jellybeans, Maps is reported as using an awful lot of battery. I am using Gsam battery pro and better battery stats. Under GSAM, it reports Maps usage around 15-25% on any given time, which is much higher than any other app. When I check better battery stats, when i check partial wakelocks, the following shows us as the most used (all by maps)
1-Network location locator
2-signal collector-scanner
3-signal collector-scanner thread

I have done the obvious and turned off Google Now. It hasnt helped. Maps is still draining my battery like crazy. Does anyone know if one of my settings are off, or what setting I can change to fix this? Or is this basically the way it is now? Anyone with any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Have you tried turning off GPS when not needed? That made my maps settle down. I know it's a pain but worst case, uninstall maps when not needed if the GPS deal doesn't work.

OP
dannyro

dannyro

Reaction score
my GPS is almost always turned off...should I actually turn it ON?

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
dannyro,

I was puzzled by the excess of wake locks with JB on my GN with a custom rom. Initially, I enabled Google Now thinking "how cool" but hated the battery drain by wake locks. When I flashed an update to my rom, I didn't start Google Now but did allow location services. I rarely have GPS on. As of right now, wake lock count on my phone is 119 over the course of eleven hours since I unplugged. I have been reading a few posts and articles about wake locks and not being a programmer, trying to figure out what they are / do.

I came across this post Issue 34458 - android - Google Maps wakelock issue - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting that might shed a little light on the issue. If you want to get to the meat of it, just go to post 64. There are other posts there with suggestions about the relationship of non-Google apps and Google Maps that may be of help. You could try finding out if you have an app that is causing the problem by uninstalling or freezing one at a time. I don't have a ton of apps on my Nexus and the ones that have location options in their menus, I have denied letting the app give my location. My battery with my usage goes for 17 hours after unplugging, with some battery left before I charge when I get home. I am not a "heavy" user but do use it for work, Twitter, G+ and a little browsing. I hope you can track down what is causing the drain on your phone and that revisions to the maps code will mitigate some/all of the issues for users everywhere. Let us know if you find the offender.

OP
dannyro

dannyro

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference is between (or what does each do) the two location settings:

1) Under Maps-Location settings-"Report From This Device"

2)General Settings-Location Services-"Google's Location Service"

How are the two different and what does each do? Can you effectively have one checked and not the other? I currently disabled #1 due to it draining my battery like nobody's business. I do still have #2 checked though. Anyone have any ideas?