Price changes when upgrading to Droid

estilo

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a basic verizon plan which suits me just fine, as almost everyone I talk to is on Verizon, and I have unlimited text. This is on a "dumb" phone.

I'd like to upgrade to a Droid Eris. I like the style of that phone more than every other Droid. I really don't care to use all the smartphone features. I just want to feel current with the times and have one.

I would like to simply have the $15 data plan added on. Is this possible? Or are there several other fees that show up when you add a smart phone?

Last thing, keeping all internet use at a minimum on the phone, is 150mb enough? I'm not one of those people who has to check email or facebook while waiting in line at Subway.

Thanks.

evor1

Reaction score
im at 100 mb so far in 3 weeks. mostly just checking email, browsing forums when waiting in line somewhere, and watched a couple youtube videos so 150 is enough for light usage. im on wifi at home though.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
im at 100 mb so far in 3 weeks. mostly just checking email, browsing forums when waiting in line somewhere, and watched a couple youtube videos so 150 is enough for light usage. im on wifi at home though.

I would probably use none of that. My concern is, the phone going through "data" just to function even when you aren't using those features such as email, facebook, youtube. Therefore, making it easy to go over this 150mb limit.

What about additional fees just upgrading to a smart phone besides data? Do they exist?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Depending on what offers the big box store you go to has going on, you're not going to be able to get the phone for free, like you can with a lot of "dumb phones" with the purchase of a contract. My Droid was $149 (which included the rebate) with a 2 year contract. These phones can cost like $600 full retail price.

Depending on what applications you allow to function in the background, services could use your data plan allowance even if you're not directly using the service.

To be honest, my impression is that you should maybe hold off on getting a smart phone unless you plan on using more of its features. Sure, you'll look cool, but I'd rather save the money for something else if I weren't going to take full advantage of the device. Just my opinion.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
The price of the actual phone itself isn't an issue, they go on ebay average $120. Sometimes as low as $90. I wouldn't run any unneeded applications in the background. Whatever the phone includes is fine.

I'm wondering about extra fees on the bill, besides the minimum data plan at $15.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
There should not be extra fees, aside from if you go over your minutes/texts/data. I think there will be an activation fee on your first bill, but that's about it. Your best bet is probably to go to your carrier and ask the representative to detail all the account and plan fees if you're unsure. I myself experience no extra fees that I was not expecting.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Eris is far from current, if you don't need a smartphone don't get a smartphone, and any smart phone in the Droid lineup going for $90 can't have a good ESN because you can get ~$140 turning an Eris in to Verizon if it's in good shape.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I would have to agree. Most sellers know they can get pretty close to retail, or at least close to what the big box store would sell it for with a contract). I'd be wary of someone selling one for under $100 in case it had a bad ESN. Sometimes they don't specify whether or not it's clear, and you specifically have to ask. I had been interested in getting a Droid X on Ebay recently, but none that I could find were selling under $300 that had a clean ESN and were not damaged in some way.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
The Eris is far from current, if you don't need a smartphone don't get a smartphone, and any smart phone in the Droid lineup going for $90 can't have a good ESN because you can get ~$140 turning an Eris in to Verizon if it's in good shape.

I don't think most people know that. Most of them do show some use, which is fine. I know it's an old phone, but it's by far the best-looking droid out there.

I would prefer the Motorola Crush, as it is a touch screen, non-Android phone. It's just not available on Verizon yet.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
Found one today for 97$. Good deal overall. Says ESN is clean - if not, I'll return it. So I should have it next week sometime. Will I still be charged the full $15 for the minimal data plan, although I'll only be using be using it half this month, considering January is halfway over? Or will I be giving verizon $7.50 for free? Considering all the people who probably upgrade towards the later part of a month, that's a lot of money for them.

I receive my bill the last week of every month.

J

Johnly

10 bucks..........or 90! ha ha ...who is concerned? It is just VZW at the dentist.......