Upgrading from Rapture to Droid Eris on vzn

estilo

Reaction score
I recently decided it's time to upgrade to a smartphone. I currently have the Motorola Rapture on a Verizon plan with unlimited text/pictures. I've purchased Droid Eris off Ebay that I look forward to using. Is it possible to activate this phone using my current ESN? I have full internet capabilities that I rarely use on my Rapture, although because it is not a smartphone I am not required to pay the charge. I would like to continue this on my Eris.

I understand all new smartphones after November 14th, 2009 require the data plan - yet the Droid Eris was released in October 2009, and I already have a current plan including internet without paying the data fee with Verizon, so I was wondering if anyone could help explain this scenario, and what will happen when I enter my ESN to activate the Eris.

Thanks

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
I've noticed this is a controversial topic...the data plan being required and all. I'm not here to discuss that.

All I want to know, if I have a current plan (no data) on a regular phone, can I transfer that to my Droid Eris?

Only reason I ask is because there has not been clarification on this when someone buys the phone from a third party, who doesn't currently have a data plan, but has internet access (which I've only used a few times).

I do understand, if you buy it under contract...it's required.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I don't believe you are able to activate any Smartphone (based on it's ESN) without adding the data plan. But you would be better off calling and asking Verizon.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All smartphones require at minimum the $30 data plan....

Not the $10 multimedia and email plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crspang

Reaction score
The ESN is tied to the specific phone, so when you enter the eris's esn that's when you'll find out if you need a data plan. And to my knowledge you'll have to sign up for it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've noticed this is a controversial topic...the data plan being required and all. I'm not here to discuss that.

All I want to know, if I have a current plan (no data) on a regular phone, can I transfer that to my Droid Eris?

Only reason I ask is because there has not been clarification on this when someone buys the phone from a third party, who doesn't currently have a data plan, but has internet access (which I've only used a few times).

I do understand, if you buy it under contract...it's required.

It does not matter where you get the device. If it's listed as a smartphone, $30 Data is required, if it's listed as a multimedia device the cheaper $10 web/email pan is required.

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
The ESN is tied to the specific phone, so when you enter the eris's esn that's when you'll find out if you need a data plan. And to my knowledge you'll have to sign up for it.

I didn't know that. Will I still be able to activate it myself, considering its a smartphone and my current phone is not? I was hoping I'd be able to stay under my current contract. I really had no idea about this required data plan until this week. In my case it's unneccessary, I rarely check email from my phone..only use for calls/text but wanted a nice looking phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I didn't know that. Will I still be able to activate it myself, considering its a smartphone and my current phone is not? I was hoping I'd be able to stay under my current contract. I really had no idea about this required data plan until this week. In my case it's unneccessary, I rarely check email from my phone..only use for calls/text but wanted a nice looking phone.

You can activate it yourself online, no problem.
Your contract will stay the same, but the $30 data plan will be added. No extension on the length...

The data plan is necessary....You'll see once you get going on it. The Droid eat buckets of Data....

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
If that's the case I will have to resell the phone most likely...don't want to, but I can't justify something I don't need because the New World Order has taken over the world and the consumer has no choices anymore.