Cheapest/Best way to get a Droid or Droid Eris out of contract

onallsortsofroids

Reaction score
My phone is currently on it's last leg, but I'm not due for an upgrade until next December. I'd like to move up to a Droid or Droid Eris. Is my best bet eBay? I'm just worried about bad ESNs and what not.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Droids

Reaction score
Is an early upgrade not an option? I was only 1 year into a 2 year contract and Verizon waived the upgrade fee, which was only $20 anyway. I got the Droid for $199. Otherwise I'd bet ebay is the only other option.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're with Verizon, correct? I'd give them a call and talk to them about it. Tell them your current phone is in bad shape and you're not happy with it. That's what I did in early November only I went to a Storm 2, then went to Droid in the 30 day period. My upgrade wasn't due to August.

They came back and offered me the Storm at that time it was 350.00 and 100.00 rebate. That may not be cheap to you but it only was a 1 year extension to my contract. Now they may make you an offer or they may not. Who knows, maybe you'll get a sweeter deal then I got.

You've got nothing to lose. Give them a call.

ice456789

Reaction score
Convince your mother in law that she needs a cell phone, and that it's only $20 a month. Get her a Droid, swap it to your account, and make $10/month off of her.

If you gotta have a mother-in-law, make the situation work for you. I did. :) She uses about 26 minutes per month.

OP
O

onallsortsofroids

Reaction score
I did call Verizon and the other day I was told I get an upgrade in February and the guy said he could move it up 30 days. Today, the lady said I don't get an upgrade any time soon. On My Verizon it says my new every 2 is next December.

Thanks for the help so far

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I did call Verizon and the other day I was told I get an upgrade in February and the guy said he could move it up 30 days. Today, the lady said I don't get an upgrade any time soon. On My Verizon it says my new every 2 is next December.

Thanks for the help so far

You should of asked what your ETF is..... The Account retention department like to keep users with VZW....

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
Do you have other plans within your family that are linked? My Voyager wasn't due to be upgraded until late January but my aunt's was, so the rep switched the upgrade dates around since she said she didn't want an upgrade before then and I got it. Our numbers stayed the dame too. Best option IMO if you can swing it.

RTracer

Reaction score
It makes sense that V would happily give early upgrades to those coming from a "dumb" phone to a Driod. The extra $30/month...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You can also just add a line...$10/mo + Cost of Droid and your in business...

OP
O

onallsortsofroids

Reaction score
You should of asked what your ETF is..... The Account retention department like to keep users with VZW....

That was my next plan of attack. I was gonna say I'm gonna have to move to the iPhone, but I was afraid they would just say "C ya"

Do you have other plans within your family that are linked? My Voyager wasn't due to be upgraded until late January but my aunt's was, so the rep switched the upgrade dates around since she said she didn't want an upgrade before then and I got it. Our numbers stayed the dame too. Best option IMO if you can swing it.

It's just me on my plan :(

It makes sense that V would happily give early upgrades to those coming from a "dumb" phone to a Driod. The extra $30/month...

I thought this too.

You can also just add a line...$10/mo + Cost of Droid and your in business...

If you cancel the line after a month do you pay an ETF on extra lines?

edit: Upon further review, this is not a reasonable idea, lol.

Last edited:
OP
O

onallsortsofroids

Reaction score
bump for anymore input.

I have nothing to do today, so I'm just going to keep calling Verizon until I get somewhere...

liquidrage

Reaction score
I wasn't due for an upgrade till Oct 2011. I called Verizon customer service (the brick and mortar shop said they couldn't do anything for me) and gave them the "I've been a customer for 8 years, 2 lines, never a late payment, and I want you to let me upgrade" speech and it worked. Only thing was they had to ship me the phone from there, I couldn't get it in store. They shipped it 2-day Fex Ex though so it wasn't that bad.

OP
O

onallsortsofroids

Reaction score
Well I just called again today, and they gave it to me for the 2 year price.

I'll have it on Wednesday :)