PNG Image and APK help?

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I like the Red GB theme from draya but would like to change a couple things to complete the set. I've got to edit a PNG image for a customized Lock Screen (Minimal Mod) through WidgetLocker. Reason being is because there is no red for this one. Just whiite.

Here's the link to what I'm talking about:

Minimal Mod | WidgetLocker

You'll see the Lockscreen image. It's white. I'd like to turn that into red. I've got the whole .zip file from that with all the PNGs in it.

Problem with that is, I'm still new to the Photoshop and gotten used to creating stuff but not being able to figure out how to edit something thats already been created. It would be easier if I had that person's .PSD file but I rather see if I can edit the white color to red in the PNG file on Photoshop.

Also, I'm thinking about trying to learn how to pull APK files (example: notification bar) and editing them up a little. I understand I must have an SDK and Java? Not sure. Not even really sure what is a good way to pull these files, what to use to edit (I assume Photoshop CS5), how to push the signature and all that stuff.

Last thing, I can't seem to find a proper App Drawer Icon but if I could figure out HOW to edit a PNG file then I can find one I like that is in a different color and just edit that and I'm satisfied. Here's what I'm talking about:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20698958/appsdrawer.png

I'd like to turn the white into red to go with the Red GB Theme.

Any help would be much appreciated.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I have Adobe Photoshop CS5. It should be able to edit the color in the image of the PNG file. Just can't figure out how the heck to do it.

trook

Reaction score
alot of themers swear by gimp, gimp is freeware that can edit png's there is also an autosigner out there, here is a writeup I found that is very good for learning, I pretty much replace icons in themes with other icons I steal to make my own, sometimes I use gimp to change the colors. Anyways, here ya go.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Thanks. Reading through that now. I was using GIMP for a few minutes and it seems harder to figure out where to replace the colors. I kind of finally figured out how to do it on Adobe Photoshop but it's turning the color I want (red) to grey over and over again. Pissing me off. At least I managed to turn it from white to grey. But still no red.

trook

Reaction score
theres a few you tube videos on using ninjamorph to change colors, or you could just find one with the color you want and replace it inside the drawable hdpi folder. open your theme, system- framework- framework.res- res- drawable hdpi. just drag the new png into that folder and use 7 zip to zip it again. You'll get it, if I can, you can.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Alright, I'm trying here. I'm new to editing these kinds of things. It's not like just creating a text icon, save it as a png image file, transfer it via USB to the Droid and change icon image to custom image.

This is more advance stuff. But I'm willing to try and push past these boundries to get where I want to get to.

mreyn3693

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you're wanting to do or not but I downloaded the lockscreen image and used PS CS4. If it isn't what you're talking about then sorry but if so, u can usually change the colors of anything with photoshop by making an adjustment layer..

View attachment 28406

ah, i just re-read your post and I guess you want all of what is white to be red... not quite sure about that one but i'm trying some other stuff now too.

Edit: here's another one, not sure how it looks but I did this using the bucket fill tool with red and just zoomed way out to make it easier to fill the small white areas.
View attachment 28407

Last edited:
OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
minimalmodwhite2red.jpg

This is what I've done so far. All of the red ones were previously white. Did this on GIMP. Photoshop was giving me a hell of a time doing this. I did have it on RGB mode but it was still turning it gray and then when I tried applying red it turned it kind of pinkish. But on GIMP I went to Image>Mode>RGB then right click the white areas click on Colors>Colorify>click on one of the given colors.

Only downside to it is I couldn't figure out how to just get red on the object icons inside the circle and then turn the circle to a darker shade of grey. Would like to figure out how to turn anything to any color I wish. Even if it is a combination of different colors or something.

Still working on it. I'm really appreciating all this help trook. Thanks for the heads up brewcrewwheels. trook, I like what you did to the rotary one. Nice. I tried doing bucket fill last night but it wouldn't let me use the tool at all. Like it was restricted or something. I hate when Photoshop applies art laws to stuff like that. Really stupid if you ask me.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can do everything you want with PS, 7-Zip and if you want to edit .9.png files, you'll also need Xultimate. The regular png files are a pretty straight forward adjustment and replacement with 7zip. You don't need SDK

mreyn3693

Reaction score
In Photoshop, were you making a duplicate layer of the original png? Doing so usually makes it easier to edit the colors..at least for me. Here is another one I did by opening up the image of the icons you have above and using the color picker to choose the same red you used. I don't have the skill to change other stuff like the background of the lock image to white without it looking kind of crappy. View attachment 28408

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Jim 777, PS, 7-zip, and Xultimate is all I need to be able to change anything I want? Even on a notification bar? I've read the guides provided by trook and each one mentions needing SDK and other programs.

I'm kind of lost at what EXACTLY I need to change these stuff. Like if I were to revamp a whole theme changing colors, and maybe change out something like the battery icon (in the notification bar) to a circle battery icon with a different color. I do have 7-zip now. I have SDK. I have Eclipse (Java work). I have GIMP and Photoshop CS5. All on my PC. And I have NinjaMorph (free version) on my Droid 2. Kind of confusing when one says you need this and that and another says nah, you don't need this and that just use this or that. Know what I mean?

mreyn3693, I didn't do any duplicate layers whatsoever on any png image files. I was mainly trying to figure out how to just replace the color. Wish it was simple like Paintshop was where if a color inside an object was white, you could just get the bucket icon, choose a different color, and then apply onto the white to change the color. But, Photoshop is way more advanced than Paintshop. So, I'm assuming I have to duplicate a layer of the image, choose a color, then apply the new layer over the image?

Edit to mreyn3693: That image you provided is exactly what I just did to mine. There is no background to it. The Minimal-Mod Rotary Locker is a transparent one. The background image you see on that one is from a screenshot off someone's phone when they took pictures of their work to put on that site. The rotary lockscreen is transparent, so you're good on that.

Last edited:

trook

Reaction score
my knowledge is limited to opening the drawable hdpi folder inside framework-res and replacing and recoloring icons already there, I've never used sdk for any of that, thats more for theme creation rather than just editing. Let me pm justjack, and get him in on this, he always helps me when i get stuck.