Please help me! I think I bricked my Droid!

boarder120

Reaction score
Ok, so today is the first day I started experimenting with customs roms and kernels. I already had my Droid rooted for about 3 months. I installed a few roms and everything was fine. Next, I tried over clocking using setcpu. That worked as well. BTW, I used SPRecovery to install roms. Setcpu only allowed for me to over clock up to 950MHz, and I wanted to try to get it above 1GHz. So I watched some tutorials on YouTube and downloaded ROM Manager from the market. I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery, while using the smoked glass rom, and tried to install a kernel so I could OC over 1GHz. Upon rebooting, I was stuck on the Motorola "M" screen. Then, I decided to do a battery pull and reboot into recovery mode. I was expected to be put into SPRecovery but instead I was put into ClockworkMod Recovery. And now I can't access my Nandroid backups to restore my phone. If anyone could help me I would GREATLY appreciate it. Again, this is my first day doing this. Maybe I tried doing too much in one day.

Thanks to anyone who could help me.

Penguissimo

Reaction score
If you can get into recovery mode then you're not bricked, so don't worry.

If you've got current nandroid backups and would happy restoring to those, your best bet would be to install a new (clean) ROM from within CWR, then boot that ROM. Reflash SPR, boot into it, and restore from your backup.

The only question here is how to get a new clean ROM to install. If you already downloaded a full ROM (and not just a kernel) in ROM Manager, install that from within CWR; otherwise, you can either use an SD card reader on your computer or USB mode in CWR to get a ROM zip onto the card.

OP
B

boarder120

Reaction score
If you can get into recovery mode then you're not bricked, so don't worry.

If you've got current nandroid backups and would happy restoring to those, your best bet would be to install a new (clean) ROM from within CWR, then boot that ROM. Reflash SPR, boot into it, and restore from your backup.

The only question here is how to get a new clean ROM to install. If you already downloaded a full ROM (and not just a kernel) in ROM Manager, install that from within CWR; otherwise, you can either use an SD card reader on your computer or USB mode in CWR to get a ROM zip onto the card.

The ROM needs to be in .zip format correct? I have a clean ROM in .zip format on my sdcard and can access it from CWR. But when I install it, it takes about 2 seconds. I'm pretty sure it takes longer than that to install a ROM. And is there any way to install extracted ROMs? Thanks for helping me btw.

Penguissimo

Reaction score
The ROM should be a .zip, yeah. Just make sure it's a full ROM and not just a kernel, because those also come in .zip format. Installation shouldn't take too much time, but 2 seconds seems awfully quick. If you want to remove all doubt about the file you have, just grab a copy of Pete's Bugless Beast here:

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/ESE81/ROM/ESE81V1.zip

and make sure not to extract it. Technically you could install a ROM after extracting it if you re-zipped the file without compression, but most of the time it's way less hassle to just get a clean copy.

Hope it works out for you!

xliderider

Reaction score
I probably don't need to say it now, but the nandroid backups are not interchangeable.

I made sure to create backups of my favorite rom in both Clockworkmod recovery and SPRecovery.

pinesal

Reaction score
You don't know what "bricked" means because you used the term in correctly.

You aren't and weren't ever bricked.

OP
B

boarder120

Reaction score
Just hit factory reset. Then RSDLite to use SPRecovery. Then you're good to go :)

Is there anyway you could elaborate just a bit? I have RSDLite and have used it to downgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.1. And by factory reset, do you mean clear the data and cache using CWR?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You don't know what "bricked" means because you used the term in correctly.

You aren't and weren't ever bricked.

Don't harp on the guy he just needs some help......besides you spelled in correctly incorrectly.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just hit factory reset. Then RSDLite to use SPRecovery. Then you're good to go :)

Is there anyway you could elaborate just a bit? I have RSDLite and have used it to downgrade to 2.0.1 from 2.1. And by factory reset, do you mean clear the data and cache using CWR?

You can use rsdlite to flash sprecovery. Go to droidmod.org and you can find the sprecovery sbf and you'll be set. It just flashes sprecovery.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk