Help! I think i have bricked my phone!

Kmac

Reaction score
Hey.

I am new to the droid, it is the first fancy phone i have had. I was reading on here about rooting, and custom roms, and well who wouldn't be intrigued?

I know you have to try to brick your phone, well i wasnt trying!

Here's what happened:

I rooted phone successfully.

I made nandroid backup successfully

I tried to download paid version of Rom Manager, but i kept getting some error, so i gave up and downloaded free version.

Installed free version, and then installed some rom(i dont remember which one, it could have been the only one on there not sure).

Everything was still smooth sailing.

Then i wanted to make a back up, and went in through Rom Manager to do so. I thought it created a backup.

Then i went to reboot, and the screen was stuck on the Motorolla M. I tried to turn it off to boot into recovery and phone would not turn off. I was going to unplug the battery but the back cover wouldnt come off!

So the phone finnally died. I have charged it back up a bit, but it will not boot into normal mode nor recovery. nothing happens. but when it is charging (or what i assume is charging) the mororolla m is displayed.

Any suggestions!?

OP
K

Kmac

Reaction score
Thanks, but i cant even get into recovery.

The phone has the motorolla logo when charging. when i unplug it, it goes away. and the phone will not boot in normal mode or recovery mode.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
maybe your battery is completely dead? are you holding down the X while you power on?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Charge off wall moto charger, not any other, for 1 day, retry.

Battery likely is not charged enough.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Charge off wall moto charger, not any other, for 1 day, retry.

Battery likely is not charged enough.

+1 for low charge on battery. it will keep cycling through the M logo then when it has enough juice it will boot up and you'll see you have 25-50% charge

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Can I ask why you rebooted and how long after creating (or at least thinking you created) your backup it was that you rebooted?

Also, when you went to create the backup using rom manager, how'd you go about doing it? Did you simply click to backup your current rom? In addition to that, what did the phone do when you clicked to backup? Did it reboot itself into recovery and was there a status bar near the bottom that turned yellow as words changed on the screen?

And can you remember how much battery life you had before you clicked to create backup?

I have to agree that you need to charge it up as suggested above at this point, because creating a backup just copies files to the sd card. There's no reason that would brick your phone.

Creating backups and installing/restoring roms takes a lot out of the battery. You should never attempt those actions without at LEAST 50% battery as stated by the system itself and not some third-party app that estimates your battery level. (Just a friendly tip/reminder for anyone who reads tis thread!)

OP
K

Kmac

Reaction score
Phone should be 100% charged, but still when i try to boot into normal and recovery mode nothing happens. However when it is plugged into the wall i still see the moto M

Can I ask why you rebooted and how long after creating (or at least thinking you created) your backup it was that you rebooted?

Also, when you went to create the backup using rom manager, how'd you go about doing it? Did you simply click to backup your current rom? In addition to that, what did the phone do when you clicked to backup? Did it reboot itself into recovery and was there a status bar near the bottom that turned yellow as words changed on the screen?

And can you remember how much battery life you had before you clicked to create backup?

I have to agree that you need to charge it up as suggested above at this point, because creating a backup just copies files to the sd card. There's no reason that would brick your phone.

Creating backups and installing/restoring roms takes a lot out of the battery. You should never attempt those actions without at LEAST 50% battery as stated by the system itself and not some third-party app that estimates your battery level. (Just a friendly tip/reminder for anyone who reads tis thread!)

I rebooted immediately after creating backup. The backup did display the status bar. the backup was created through rom manager.

RoLa

Reaction score
Try pulling the battery, hold x....then re-insert the battery while holding x-down....may have to flash the sbf file if that doesn't get you to a recovery image...what do you guys think?...

OP
K

Kmac

Reaction score
I have tried to pull the battery, but for the life of me the back cover wont come off!!!!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
battery pull. I know the feeling I have a case that is hard to get off when I need to do a battery pull. I spend at least 5 mins getting the case off.