I think I bricked my DroidX!

jfulcher

Reaction score
So I was on 2.3.15 from an early release and had the rubix focused rom I believe. I was going to change ROMs and figured I should go ahead and go to the OTA 2.3.40 while I was at it.

So I did a TI backup of all my apps/data and booted to the koush bootloader and restored the original backup I took before I did anything else to the phone.

At this point when my phone boots up it goes to the M logo and it's stuck there.

I've tried holding home and power and wiping the data and cache, no luck.

I downloaded the SBF and RSD lite but when i go into flashing mode it tells me my batter isn't strong enough even though it's been plugged in the whole time.

Now when I plug it in to the AC adapater I get a battery symbol with a ? mark so it doesn't seem like it's charging at all.

I don't know what else I can do at this point? Does anyone have any ideas?

OP
J

jfulcher

Reaction score
And I just realized I posted this in the regular forum - any chance a mod could move to the droid X RS forum?

D

dankarlinski

the battery doesnt charge if it doesnt get to the android boot image/animation. at least thats how it goes on my D2.

what i did was cut a charger cord, take the red and black (+ and - respectivelly) and connect them to the phone's battery charging "tabs"

i do not sugggest this as you could ruin your phone if you short it, but it is an option. it tricks your phone into thinking the battery is fully charged since the amps and volts will never go down.

sbf if likely your own recovery from this point unless you can manage to boot into clockwork again

Droid2G-0369

Reaction score
You could always buy a battery only charger and give it a go with a fresh one.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

OP
J

jfulcher

Reaction score

At that point it's still under warranty - could verizon tell I had the phone rooted or anything if I just get them to swap it out?

D

dankarlinski

At that point it's still under warranty - could verizon tell I had the phone rooted or anything if I just get them to swap it out?

they could in theory tell, but it is not illegal to root the phone. android is OPEN SOURCE. that means you can basically do whatever you want with it. lol i have had my D2 replaced 3 times now. i sent it in rooted, and didnt hear anything from them

Droid2G-0369

Reaction score
I doubt it I took back three phones before this one because they were "defective" and they switched me out no questions asked. I think you would be fine to just make a trip to the store for a new drop x.

D

dankarlinski

I doubt it I took back three phones before this one because they were "defective" and they switched me out no questions asked. I think you would be fine to just make a trip to the store for a new drop x.

you have my return record tied. lol. not to thread hijack, but do you know if there is a way i can get the D2G sent to me instead of a droid 2 if i ever have problems again? the reps at the store always tell me they can only give me the d2, and they never carry it. so im always waiting a day or two for the overnight package

Droid2G-0369

Reaction score
It can't hurt to just ask them especially since you have had trouble with the d2 . That's actually how I got the global. But I went into Verizon and they upgraded me because of all my" defective" regular d2s. Give it a shot

yuusharo

Reaction score
I'm starting to see why P3Droid is annoyed by all these people returning their "defective" phones. The fact is your phone isn't bricked, and it is, and always has been, your responsibility to fix it, maintain it, and follow all the safety guides regarding keeping your phone charged if you're going to hack it.

Verizon and Motorola has to eat the cost of replacing your phone, which in turn makes them work harder to lock them down and drive up costs.