OTA / Unroot D3?

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I was wondering how many, if any, people who have rooted D3's have been unrooted by the soak test? I'm wondering what will happen to my Droid 3 when the update goes out, whether it'll brick me or reset to factory or what? Any thoughts guys?:blink:

havocc

Reaction score
my rooted d2 just fails and re downloads the update over and over again..... not that big of a deal just unroot, update, reroot.... *pushes the "that was easy button*

OP
Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Thats what i beleive is going to be needed. How hard was it to unroot our little gadgety friend?

Sent from my DROID3

Reaction score
you can use the 1click root to unroot your phone as well. Just look for it over at rootzwiki
:greendroid:

btonetbone

Reaction score
I received the update OTA on Monday, and it successfully updated me while I was still rooted. I did have to restore all of my system apps, though. The one bugger that was left in .bak form after running Psouza's script was fota.apk. I had to manually change it from "fota.apk.bak" to "fota.apk" in Root Explorer, but then it worked perfectly.

After the update, I no longer had root access. I simply re-rooted, and all was well in the world.

aggiechase37

Reaction score
I just did the update that was over on droid-life. It's appears to be the same version number. After I updated I used the version 7 one click from xda, and I can't seem to get root back. Any ideas? I've ran it twice now, and none of my root apps appear to be able to get superuser permissions. I'm panicking! Help!!!

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Even weirder is that superuser is installed, and can't seem to be uninstalled. I'll try Pete's method here in a little while and hopefully that works. Thanks for the tip. Will report back later. Let us pray!

Edit: Bloatfreezer doesn't seem to be in the market. I thought maybe uninstalling the root apps and installing them again would fix things, but it didn't. Anyone else NOT seeing bloatfreezer in the market? What kind of madness is this?

Edit again: ok I'm back in business. That Root method worked. Back in business. Bloatfreezer still not in market for some reason. But I went ahead and bought jrummy's App Manager in the market and froze all the garbage. So I'm a happy camper again!

Last edited:

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Also, after the update, swype is about as broken as I've ever seen it. Hopefully a couple reboots fixes it...

Anyone else having issues with swype?

Edit: Still having issues with Swype after the update. Done a couple reboots, still not even close to operational...

Last edited:

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Check language option. It set mine to spanish and I had to set it manually back to english in settings.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Check language option. It set mine to spanish and I had to set it manually back to english in settings.

Well holy crap! You're right there buddy! Thanks a million. You will receive many blessings!

Side note: I discovered that the regular multi touch keyboard has the nice ribbon correction thing for the hardware keyboard as well. I think I may actually switch to that for a while. I actually use the hardware keyboard alot. I wonder if there is a way to use swype for portrait mode, yet the hardware keyboard can still use the multitouch keyboard onscreen extras. Why is life so freaking awful!?!?! jk, good problems to have...

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Is it recommended to unroot the phone before receiving/applying the update?

just make sure to unfreeze everything you froze. if you deleted stuff, i can't help you. you don't really have to unroot though. i didn't and it worked fine. just make sure to re-root using the method I think is mentioned in this thread. pete's method or something like that. there's a link...

jjhiza

Reaction score
Agreed…no need to unroot, but make sure you have all apps unfrozen first. I've resisted rooting up to this point, (1) because the phone is still fast, even with 80+ apps installed, (2) this OTA has seemed to really speed the device up even more; and (3) I'm kinda waiting to see if someone finds an exploit to unlock the bootloader… I'm sure Steel Droid's ROM is sweet, but I'm not sure I need/want a firmware with no custom kernel, and thus, no overclocking ability. Speed and stability are paramount to me, and I have that at the moment, but I may go the perm-root path, so I can freeze some bloat. Is anyone else noticing better performance and battery life after the OTA? I'm really happy with it, and noticed it right away! :)

OP
Bullitt6996

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Well last night i installed the update prior to installing the Steel Droid ROM just finished by Chevy. I was told in that string that the update wont pop up since the update I used is more than likely the same. We'll see what happens.:blink: