Root or Wait?

Dmw017

Reaction score
So I just heard that the D3 was rooted two days ago (been keeping up until a week ago). I'm not exactly a pro in this area or have ever rooted a device before but I have spent quite a few hours today reading up on the process and any info I could find.

Basically I just want to know if I should root my D3 or wait out another week or so? I heard that a SBF (?) hasn't been found yet so the stock rom can't be recovered and there is really no recovery net yet so should anything go wrong, there aren't a lot of options.

There is a one-click method to root but I'm going to try the original method using the adb shell (lol still researching what on earth to do with that still, just installed the android sdk :x). I'm not concerned about the process of rooting my droid, it's what comes after that makes me hesitant in doing so.

I read that there is a (seemingly simple) method to unroot the D3 by deleting the su file in some directory and rebooting (can't remember, it seemed legit however). Would "unrooting" have any consequences or would your device be back to the exact same state it was in right before you rooted? I'm not planning to drastically mess around with my D3 should I root it. Just want to take a few screenshots in an app to help out a dev, freeze any bloatware that won't cause problems, do a complete nand backup, and... thats about all that comes to mind right now.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if rooting my D3 tonight would have any irreversible consequences and if there is any benefit in holding off the root?

Oh! Btw the OTA, I know that rooting won't affect ones ability to receive the update but that it will unroot your device and keep it that way. Would the rooting-discovery process have to start anew for people who update using the OTA (Thinking Verizon might patch the root-exploit) ? I know that updating via OTA isn't too bright anyway because devs just take the update and build on it before releasing it on their own custom ROMs and whatnot, but I feel official updates are somehow more stable (most likely flawed thinking, feel free to correct me on that lol).

((Posted this in XDA initially but the dev forums is locked to +30 post members only so I'm trying it here as well)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would root using Super One Click and use a program like Bloatfreezer to freeze all the crapware. I wouldn't go much further than that since no sbf is available...

random rom'd X

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd just root it with one-click as well.. no real reason to use the "hard" way unless you're just doing it for the experience/knowledge(does help if you choose to unroot it, stuff looks more familiar), and then just freeze the bloatware and enjoy some root apps. But ya, don't do much else yet until we have sbf.. if you noticed, one guy already messed it up and is desperately looking for sbf.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
I'd just root it with one-click as well.. no real reason to use the "hard" way unless you're just doing it for the experience/knowledge(does help if you choose to unroot it, stuff looks more familiar), and then just freeze the bloatware and enjoy some root apps. But ya, don't do much else yet until we have sbf.. if you noticed, one guy already messed it up and is desperately looking for sbf.
Yeah the original method using the adb and everything seems like fun (not in the traditional sense but still).
I'm just going to be taking a few screenshots and freezing bloatware using Titanium (only apps that have been reported as safe to remove) but nothing major.
So there's really no point in waiting around with an unrooted D3 other than to play it safe it seems? Because I'm fairly confident nothing wrong will happen, did my research.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah the original method using the adb and everything seems like fun (not in the traditional sense but still).
I'm just going to be taking a few screenshots and freezing bloatware using Titanium (only apps that have been reported as safe to remove) but nothing major.
So there's really no point in waiting around with an unrooted D3 other than to play it safe it seems? Because I'm fairly confident nothing wrong will happen, did my research.
True, either way works. :)
And oh definitely root now. Even though we can't do much yet.. the little stuff is A LOT better. Freezing that bloatware makes your phone instantly faster(you'll be able to notice for sure when doing simple stuff like hitting the home button, camera, scrolling through pages) and the boot is faster too apparently. I really haven't noticed it.. but yeah. Battery life improved as well. Just don't freeze the yahoo stuff, it force closes your contacts.

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
Root it use the one click method, unless you feel the need to copy and paste using ADB. Then Titanium Backup's your best friend, look through the threads at what people have had success with freezing and go to work, do not under any circumstance delete any apps since there's no way to retrieve them and an SBF is not available as yet.

As BenLand mentioned freezing Yahoo will FC your contacts, beware of system apps, if you're not comfortable making the decisions on what to freeze then use Bloat Freezer.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
Huh.. so I followed djrbliss's instructions for root using adb shell and it seems everything worked as I'm at a root prompt. No idea what to do from here on out lol... I know my D3 isn't actually rooted yet but that root prompt probably just needs a quick command line >.> hmm
Maybe I will just use the one click method .. meh

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to load the files woodyman posted.

OP
Dmw017

Dmw017

Reaction score
You need to load the files woodyman posted.

i believe i had to get an su file and use adb to push it into xbin but i just used the one click rooter instead because well, i didnt even know what su file to look for, or how to "push"/move files with adb, and using the one click is assuring because you know everything you need has been done (superuser... beatbox, whatever that is).

still, im considering learning about those missing pieces i skipped for manual root, just to know it for later on.

spruleme

Reaction score
i believe i had to get an su file and use adb to push it into xbin but i just used the one click rooter instead because well, i didnt even know what su file to look for, or how to "push"/move files with adb, and using the one click is assuring because you know everything you need has been done (superuser... beatbox, whatever that is).

still, im considering learning about those missing pieces i skipped for manual root, just to know it for later on.

You're looking for the superuser.apk and this should be pushed (aka copied to /system/data/ using adb or copy it to your internal mem or sdcard and copy to the path using the rootexplorer app) yes you should install busybox, but usually I would just load titanium backup as it's a prerequisite for this app, and it'll prompt for install. Had to do this manually back on my d1 so i've been through it. One click script is certainly the way to go, why reinvent the wheel if it's already been done, unless you want to learn it yourself.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums