Droid 3 OTA

negropy

Reaction score
I've been rooting and Modding my droids since the OG Droid and did the same with my D3. I'm far from being a dev or expert so I have a question for those of you that know more than me. I read in the Motorola support forums a post by Matt saying that to get the upcoming OTA update you couldn't be rooted, let alone having frozen apps or according to him, even backup apps. Now, I thought it was not possible for the update file to recognize a rooted phone. I understand I'll have to defrost all the bloat most likely, but do you guys know if just because I'm rooted I won't get the OTA? I haven't used the leaked file, so I'm hopeful. If it is true, is there any way to unroot? Thanks guys!

Mugen

Reaction score
From what I've read, the new leaked OTA unroots your phone for you. But that's just what i've read. I'm trying to install the leaked OTA right now but not sure how lol. Not to thread jack but do i need an SD card ?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the new leaked OTA unroots your phone for you. But that's just what i've read. I'm trying to install the leaked OTA right now but not sure how lol. Not to thread jack but do i need an SD card ?

Yes it unroots your phone, and yes you need an sdcard. The update.zip goes into it. Won't work on internal memory.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
N

negropy

Reaction score
I guess for clarification purposes I was talking about the real OTA, not the leaked one. Thanks for your answers!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, I gotcha. I don't believe anyone's gotten the real one yet, so who knows for sure.

pistacio

Reaction score
Of you want to keep root, just use Rootkeeper in the market. Works awesome. You can temporary unroot, then re root after you install the (leaked) OTA.

The official OTA is unknown at this time... root status that is.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Jerminator617

Reaction score
I'm a newbie when it comes to manually installing updates. I downloaded the leaked update, and I have a SD card in my phone. After I put it on the card, what do I do to install it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

pistacio

Reaction score
Make sure all your bloat is back the way it was when the phone was shipped(if you rooted and messed with it). Power off, then power on holding x to boot into recovery. Hold volume up after your phone is booted into recovery, then tap volume down while holding vol up. This will give you a list of choices. Choose install, pick your update, and let it do its thing! All choices are picked by pressing the power button.

..no need to rename the file to "update.zip", and the file must be on the root of the sdcard(not in a folder).

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App<- the D3 is on the charger :(

Jerminator617

Reaction score
Make sure all your bloat is back the way it was when the phone was shipped(if you rooted and messed with it).

You have to have all of the bloatware? because at first i deleted a few apps totally, but after i did that to like 2 or 3 apps, i decided i should just change the extension incase i needed them... so since i dont have access to all of the apps i cant use this update? :frown:

pistacio

Reaction score
Yes, you need all the bloatware. I think the installation will abort if it is not all present. There is a list of the D3 apps around somewhere, or if you remember what you deleted, just find those apks and re install them.

sent from my D1 while the D3 sleeps a little...

Jerminator617

Reaction score
So if I don't get all of the bloatware back, when the actual OTA update comes out, would it install? Or would it also need all of the bloatware?

Jerminator617

Reaction score
Ok well disregard my last post. I got the update to work. But now I have another problem. When I plug in my phone via USB to my computer, the computer makes the normal noise, but says it can't find the device, and my phone just says its charging, with no USB connection found. Anyone know what could be causing this?

OP
N

negropy

Reaction score
I signed up to be part of the soak test this week, that's why um concerned...

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. I looked all over the internet as to why it was doing it and for a bunch of fixes for it too.. Then I read somewhere that eventually if you're using a cord that isn't the one that came with the phone, it can eventually stop working. I was using my OG Droid's USB cable. When I switched back to my Droid 3 one, it started working again.

Jerminator617

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. I looked all over the internet as to why it was doing it and for a bunch of fixes for it too.. Then I read somewhere that eventually if you're using a cord that isn't the one that came with the phone, it can eventually stop working. I was using my OG Droid's USB cable. When I switched back to my Droid 3 one, it started working again.

wow gotta say thanks for that lol. went and got my cable that came with my D3 and it works... though i dont see what the difference is between cables. but whatever! as long as it works im happy