Ota 6.12.173

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I think I am going to stay away from this, my phone is working beautifully and don't want to mess that up. If it isn't broken don't break it applies here I believe.

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
So have you seen any changes that warrant upgrading to this version whatever it may be? My phone is more or less running perfectly on rooted 748 right now and don't want to invite problems in. Only problem I have had is sometimes it won't auto cap the letter "I" when typing messages.

The worthiness it's subjective just like much of the debate among phones. It is Android 2.3.6 and there are quite a few noticeable changes to their look and feel. Without a changelog, I really can't say what kind of internal changes were made (although I did see that it installed a new version of recovery during installation). I have not been one to experience data drops too much before so I can't comment on that either.

Guys be VERY VERY VERY careful before flashing this update. You risk NEVER being able to upgrade in the future. Bionic owners found this out the hard way. I recommend not downloading it unless you don't mind being off the upgrade path potentially through the life of your contract w/ the RAZR

OP you should add this warning to the OP.

With fastboot files returning your phone to stock 744, there would be no issues with future updates. Big brother isn't watching individual phones to see what we are doing so its not like we will get blacklisted. Even if that were the case, every update is released and upload to file sharing servers like mega upload so the updates will always be available.

I am only using this thread to point those interested to the original post on droidrzr to share the info and help with any how to questions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

nubia

Reaction score
Cerealkiller
thanks for the heads up.... i think i will opt to heed that warning and just wait. thanks again..[
QUOTE=cereal killer;1967425]Guys be VERY VERY VERY careful before flashing this update. You risk NEVER being able to upgrade in the future. Bionic owners found this out the hard way. I recommend not downloading it unless you don't mind being off the upgrade path potentially through the life of your contract w/ the RAZR

OP you should add this warning to the OP.[/QUOTE]

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The worthiness it's subjective just like much of the debate among phones. It is Android 2.3.6 and there are quite a few noticeable changes to their look and feel. Without a changelog, I really can't say what kind of internal changes were made (although I did see that it installed a new version of recovery during installation). I have not been one to experience data drops too much before so I can't comment on that either.

With fastboot files returning your phone to stock 744, there would be no issues with future updates. Big brother isn't watching individual phones to see what we are doing so its not like we will get blacklisted. Even if that were the case, every update is released and upload to file sharing servers like mega upload so the updates will always be available.

I am only using this thread to point those interested to the original post on droidrzr to share the info and help with any how to questions.

Junkle King 76 I have no doubt you know what you are doing. I'm afraid this is going to create a lot of unhappy people when the official update is released. If anyone flashes this leaked update (root or no root) they will not be able to get the OTA update when it is released unless they go back to stock (sbf...there isn't one or fastboot) and then update to .478. We saw the same issue with a leaked Gingerbread that a lot of people flashed, and when the official Gingerbread came out there were a bunch of users that couldn't get it, didn't know what sbf was or how to do it. I agree with cereal killer...unless you really know "you stuff" leave this alone...wait for the official OTA.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

It really does warrant a disclaimer or warning. Messing with files from cheesecake is risky and members should be aware

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Junkle King 76 I have no doubt you know what you are doing. I'm afraid this is going to create a lot of unhappy people when the official update is released. If anyone flashes this leaked update (root or no root) they will not be able to get the OTA update when it is released unless they go back to stock (sbf...there isn't one or fastboot) and then update to .478. We saw the same issue with a leaked Gingerbread that a lot of people flashed, and when the official Gingerbread came out there were a bunch of users that couldn't get it, didn't know what sbf was or how to do it. I agree with cereal killer...unless you really know "you stuff" leave this alone...wait for the official OTA.

The last sentence is obvious. That is why I only pointed people to the original thread and advised them to follow directions there. As with any flash of a leak or mod, the user is taking responsibility.

I am just a little confused about the no sbf or fastboot part. The fastboot files are there so no matter what a user will always be able to flash back to stock 744, and follow the necessary upgrade path. If a user doesn't know about sbf or fastboot, they should test up on it as it is clearly stated that they may need to go back if problems occur later.

Androidatic

Reaction score
The fact that this is already the second update to the Razr seems to be overlooked. I have no doubt now that we'll be getting ICS sooner rather than later. Moto really is the best phone manufacturer at this point in time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The last sentence is obvious. That is why I only pointed people to the original thread and advised them to follow directions there. As with any flash of a leak or mod, the user is taking responsibility.

I am just a little confused about the no sbf or fastboot part. The fastboot files are there so no matter what a user will always be able to flash back to stock 744, and follow the necessary upgrade path. If a user doesn't know about sbf or fastboot, they should test up on it as it is clearly stated that they may need to go back if problems occur later.

I understand where you're coming from and realize that in your mind it is clear, unmistakable and "a piece of cake". I know you're not new to these forums and most likely have read post (a lot of them) from users who rooted hours after buying their Razr and wondered why they couldn't get the latest update when it was released OTA. You post "The fastboot files are there so no matter what a user will always be able to flash back to stock 744, and follow the necessary upgrade path"...that the rub...many don't even understand how to do that.

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Ok ok. I concede but as I mentioned (and added a statement to my first post) I was only pointing them in the right direction, I was not giving anyone a direct download. The actual OP on droidrzr has the warnings.

Kimo91

Reaction score
Without a changelog ill just wait for tge official update. But that's awesome news that another update is on the way :)

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
The fact that this is already the second update to the Razr seems to be overlooked. I have no doubt now that we'll be getting ICS sooner rather than later. Moto really is the best phone manufacturer at this point in time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That was my first thought. In fact based on some of the visual changes that were made I get the feeling this is step one towards ICS. I recall reading somewhere that motorola stated they would patch like 4 updates leading up to ICS. "If" this is 1 of 4, that is good news.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
For those on the fence or concerned, everything had been tested, devs/mods on droidrzr have verification this leak will NOT interfere with your ability to update in the future.

Worst case scenario, if the update gets a minor change between now and official release, a fast boot back to 744 would be necessary. I have updated my OP to this thread.

Last edited:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
That was my first thought. In fact based on some of the visual changes that were made I get the feeling this is step one towards ICS. I recall reading somewhere that motorola stated they would patch like 4 updates leading up to ICS. "If" this is 1 of 4, that is good news.

I read the same thing...I think it was from the Forum Manager on the Motorola Support Forum. All the more reason to wait for the OTA updates:gotmyvote:

Rouger

Reaction score
Just updated with no issues. Only hiccup was getting into stock recovery but your steps proved to be the ticket. Was following on droidrazr.com and they didn't have those steps. thanks for the directions...

OP
Jungle King 76
Reaction score
Just updated with no issues. Only hiccup was getting into stock recovery but your steps proved to be the ticket. Was following on droidrazr.com and they didn't have those steps. thanks for the directions...

Glad I could help. You will have to provide some insight if you notice any majore changes with 4g data since the lte radio was updated.