OTA 5.8.894 spotted in the wild

318Droid

Reaction score
Well damn, my guys at the store yesterday was swamped and I was impatient so I left. Didnt get a chance to get the file. Anyways, is the file above 100% stock EVERYTHING? radio/kernal/etc??? I just saved it, dont plan on downloading it yet as my phone is running fine but if it helps with official OTA then I will give it a shot.

EDIT: oh crap this is the new OTA huh? Smh. Well I'll try Verizon again today after work.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
R

rduckwor

Reaction score
Well damn, my guys at the store yesterday was swamped and I was impatient so I left. Didnt get a chance to get the file. Anyways, is the file above 100% stock EVERYTHING? radio/kernal/etc??? I just saved it, dont plan on downloading it yet as my phone is running fine but if it helps with official OTA then I will give it a shot.

EDIT: oh crap this is the new OTA huh? Smh. Well I'll try Verizon again today after work.

Yeah, this is the OTA file for the 5.8.894 OTA Update. What I was trying to say was that you must be stock to apply this update.

Sorry for the confusion.

RMD

wilboy

Reaction score
notice there are no unlocked HTC Verizon devices on htcdev.com... just sayin... ;)
I didn't say it pushed already...i just say...HTC will be the first one if that happens...just for clarification..:)
Btw...did you have it already installed(8.894)?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it pushed already...i just say...HTC will be the first one if that happens...just for clarification..:)
Btw...did you have it already installed(8.894)?

Sorry, I was just saying VZW will never allow HTC to unlock any of their phones on VZW, the official way anyway.

I did 8.894 a couple of days ago, was stock (rooted) .886 prior to that.

tmotts

Reaction score
i installed it with no problems i am convinced yet it makes a difference and i think battery life was better on 5.7.893 IJS . You do have to be completely stock for it to work and using the forever root method before u install the upgrade does allow u to maintain root after the update !

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Yup, for '8.894 you have to be bone stock...

Besides root , the only thing I'd done to my Bionic was flash the deodexed 'stock' ROM, the one that hadn't stripped out the bloat. The '8.894 failed so I used dhacker 29's excellent download to restore, root and forever root. Got me back to rooted stock. I still had to do a complete restore with Titanium of course. After that I found the earlier mentioned master-sdc100.blurdev.com that is the 5.8.894 OTA udate on the Staging server. It downloaded and worked , tho it seemed to take a while to flash. Just did this last night so I can't say that it's an improvement accross the board, but my Bionic seems just a tad faster and things SO FAR are working very smooth. My Quadrant scores always kinda sucked so I was reluctant to even go there, but am now getting in the 24xx range. Still not great but an improvement over what I was getting...

While I was messing around with settings between Quadrant runs I found something useful tho. I had been using SD Speed hacks and had even tried the 4k setting. Not a good idea. My score dropped to lower than my Droid 2 running 2.3.3 and OC'd to 1.3. How much I'm not sayin - too embarrassing. Anyhow I dropped the SD setting to 128 and that's when Quadrant went back to above 2400.

While I was on the staging server I noticed a master-sdc200.blurdev.com. Any speculation as to what that might be?:happy3:

thunder550

Reaction score
I installed .894 last night. Battery life seems to have marginal if any improvement. I would get about 10 hours of light to moderate usage from the stock battery before, and now I'm at 43% remaining with 6 hours on battery, which equates to about the same 10 hours. The big difference for me is that today I decided to leave bluetooth turned on all day. Previous to the update, I had it off all the time because it would eat as much battery as cell standby even without being connected to another device. Today I have been connected for a total of about 15 minutes, disconnected the rest of the time, and BT has only eaten 2% of the battery.

I didn't have frequent issues with data drop before, so I can't comment on that.

Reaction score
Instead of going the fastboot route, why not try using Root Explorer and taking the webtopsession.apk and sticking it /system/app/ and then changing the the permissions to " rw-r--r-- "

Vwuala. You have webtop again. You can google a Bionic system dump. And maybe (just in case search for i.e. Bionic .893 system dump pr whichever gersion you are on. And maybe taking an .886 webtop version will be enough to "trick" the update into letting you install the update successfully, speaking of possible "stupod things" that tend to work sometimes...

Last edited:
Reaction score
(Hey, Thunder, I grew up in Tempe. Guadeloupe Rd/Kyrene Rd (between Kyrene and Hardy on the south side of Guadeloupe Rd - across from Benedict Park/Tempe Union High Schoold Dist bus garage). I wonder if that Circle K is still on the corner... )

thunder550

Reaction score
(Hey, Thunder, I grew up in Tempe. Guadeloupe Rd/Kyrene Rd (between Kyrene and Hardy on the south side of Guadeloupe Rd - across from Benedict Park/Tempe Union High Schoold Dist bus garage). I wonder if that Circle K is still on the corner... )

I'm in way north Phoenix but lived in an apartment Hardy and Baseline for a year while I was attending ASU, right around the corner from where you grew up :)

Reaction score
Way north like Deer Valley? Or like Glendale/Peoria?

Go 'Devils! (Last I checked the Devils were doing pretty well this year)

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program...

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

jeremym

Reaction score
i installed it with no problems i am convinced yet it makes a difference and i think battery life was better on 5.7.893 IJS . You do have to be completely stock for it to work and using the forever root method before u install the upgrade does allow u to maintain root after the update !

How did you go back to stock from 5.7.893? I ask because you state battery was better on 5.7.893 than it is on 5.8.894.

wilboy

Reaction score
How did you go back to stock from 5.7.893? I ask because you state battery was better on 5.7.893 than it is on 5.8.894.

hahaha..Good point!!...but to make it fair...TMOTTS said, "I think battery life was better.....";)

Camoxjeep

Reaction score

I lived in Mesa before I moved here to Kentucky 7 years ago. Dang I miss Az..............:icon_ devil:

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
I've been in Tucson since 92...I used to be stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB until I retired in 01.