OTA 5.8.894 spotted in the wild

rduckwor

Reaction score
Reported over on XDA, a bionic located and d/l an OTA that resulted in 5.8.894.

Update 5.8.894 - xda-developers

Anybody else got it yet? Potentially the "official" OTA for the soak test???

RMD

Last edited:

ripper2860

Reaction score
Saw that post earlier this morning, but it did not say that root was retained when I read it. I was just about to flash 5.7.893. Guess I'll hold-off and see what develops re: 5.8.894. Initial reports seem to indicate ROOT is retained. If so -- very nice!! :D

markwebb

Reaction score
This is exciting news....for a soon to be Bionic owner. Reports also indicate camera is much snappier.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
P3droid tweeted that no updates from moto should be taken as they have patched the root path.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ripper2860

Reaction score
Yeah but if the comments on XDA by the person that took this update via cheesecake is to be believed, root was retained.

This may be a different update than the "official" or soak test file P3 was referring to.

Last edited:

Abadus

Reaction score
If they got it from cheesecake then it was not an OTA.

Question is is this push any better than the 5.7 that a lot of us already have. My data issues are minimal but they are still there.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
There are a few things about this update which quite frankly suck. The worst of which is you have to be 100% stock to apply it, i mean stock system, radio, bootloader, kernerl, webtop....everything. If you upgraded to ANY of the leaked OTA's you cant switch your system back and apply this update, it will fail.

From what others have reported, this update seems to update the kernel and lte radio so it might have something worthwhile in it compared to 5.7.894 which only blocked forever root. Since I am on 5.7.893, I cant install this update.

I cant believe motorola would go out of their way to block people from applying this update from one of the leaked OTAs. All of the previous updates would apply regardless of the radio/kernel/bootloader on the device....why the sudden change?

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
There are a few things about this update which quite frankly suck. The worst of which is you have to be 100% stock to apply it, i mean stock system, radio, bootloader, kernerl, webtop....everything. If you upgraded to ANY of the leaked OTA's you cant switch your system back and apply this update, it will fail.

From what others have reported, this update seems to update the kernel and lte radio so it might have something worthwhile in it compared to 5.7.894 which only blocked forever root. Since I am on 5.7.893, I cant install this update.

I cant believe motorola would go out of their way to block people from applying this update from one of the leaked OTAs. All of the previous updates would apply regardless of the radio/kernel/bootloader on the device....why the sudden change?

Dont worry.... Im sure a developer will have instructions posted soon :)

B

bens42608

Dont worry.... Im sure a developer will have instructions posted soon :)

I hope so. All I want is to have my bionic running as good as possible which is why I updated to 893. If there's a new, better one, that's important to me. We should be able to have it.. we always have to be so clever to do things that should just be easy and provided to us

OP
R

rduckwor

Reaction score
" If they got it from cheesecake then it was not an OTA." True in didn't arrive "OTA", but I lacked a better term for it's description. "Update" really was descriptive.

RMD

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Looking forward to the devs creating an install package for us with 5.7.893 ;)

silver6054

Reaction score

Not sure what you mean here. AFAIK, the official OTAs on all their phones (perhaps with the exception of the OG) have required stock as that is what the OTA is patching.