OMG, this is so awesome, I didn't know my droid could do this!!!

Freezetron

Reaction score
Ok, I won't rehash my story about hating smartphones, trying them out, getting my first one/droid ect..ect.. you can read up about that here.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ne...ite-assistance/95344-i-must-outa-my-mind.html

Needless to say, i've been enjoying my Droid X alot and I thought I knew everything I really needed to know about. I was familiar with some kinda wifi enabled feature on it, but im a big believer in having all my computers and game consoles wired with my gigabit ethernet so I never bother with wifi at my home. I also don't have a laptop so I never need wifi when im on the go either as I have no use for it.

I was at a local hobby store the other day and I ran into my old IT proffessor from college inside. We chewed the fat for awhile and we eventually got into the subject about smartphones and I whipped out my Droid X, he got his Fascinate. He started telling about the crappy battery life he was getting when he'd use the 3G network for anything internet based.

He then said that you can actually connect alot of these smartphones to a wifi network they will use that instead of the 3g network for data transmission. Because of the design difference of wifi vs 3g, apparently wifi uses alot less battery power and depending on the feed to the wifii access point, you can have speeds beyond what 3g could ever offer, maybe even 4g LTE!

Keep in mind im pretty tech savy, as I do IT work for a large investment firm, build my own PC gaming rigs ect.... but I was pretty amazed as I wasn't aware my phone could do that but it got even sweeter! He said you can also program your phone to attach to multiple wifi networks at a time! He said he's got the wifi networks entered for the local mall, college campus, home, starbucks ect... With that, he apparently is rarely on the 3G network so his battery life has been much improved and he can surf and download much faster depending on the wifi connection!

Wow!!!! I had no idea my little Droid X could do that. I just turned back on my wireless on my gigabit router, found the wifi setting and decided to see what would happen. Sure enough, my Droid X attached right away to my local 18mpbs cable/wifi connection and disconnected from the 3G network. I then tried viewing some of my vids on my youtube channel. WOW!!!!! I couldn't believe the speed difference! Now I can't wait to take my phone around town and plug in several wifi spots so I can have maximum speed and see what that does to my battery life!

Im curious though, what happens to my data/txt message usage when im connected to a wifi network vs the 3G network? Is that even trackable via verizon whem im off the larger tower network? Does my phone maintain a basic connection to the towers so I can make/recieve calls without waiting for it to connect up? What certain apps/widgets will and will not use a wifi connection vs the 3g?

I'll never go back to a non smartphone ever again and hopefully, Droids only! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

drewdown757

Reaction score
if ur connected via wifi then you wont be using any data through verizon because u arent on the 3g connection anymore. and it doesnt matter if ur on wifi or 3g, a text message is a text message so it will still count toward ur text message usage if ur on wifi.

born2golf

Reaction score
if ur connected via wifi then you wont be using any data through verizon because u arent on the 3g connection anymore. and it doesnt matter if ur on wifi or 3g, a text message is a text message so it will still count toward ur text message usage if ur on wifi.

what he said...

If you want free TXT messaging that uses the data network then use google voice.

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Hmm, well I've got unlimited text anyway, dunno how I feel about using a free txt service, there's gotta be draw backs

Sent from my DROIDX

born2golf

Reaction score
Hmm, well I've got unlimited text anyway, dunno how I feel about using a free txt service, there's gotta be draw backs

Sent from my DROIDX

pretty simple. the drawback is that your texts are now being logged in the google cloud, and could be used as part their scheme of world domination. Also you cannot use google voice TXT with any other app such as handcent. You must use the google voice app.

The benefit is that it is free and you can create/read txt message from your computer as well as your handheld. Google voice itself is a pretty powerful tool, and completely free, but that is not the topic here. If you don't about this I suggest you google it (pun intended)

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Im assuming all voice calls are done via 3g no matter what? Will the phone connect to wifi or 3g based on which is fastest? Will I really save on battery life having the wick enabled?

Sent from my DROIDX

Joker

Reaction score
Your standard voice calls are not over 3g or wifi, unless you are using google voice. But the minutes you are paying for thru VZW are not over 3g/wifi

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Your standard voice calls are not over 3g or wifi, unless you are using google voice. But the minutes you are paying for thru VZW are not over 3g/wifi

Even jesus doesn't know what you just said

Sent from my DROIDX

tonydelite

Reaction score
Maybe i'm missing something... don't take this the wrong way but did you really not know your phone could connect to wifi?

harrellj

Reaction score
Basically, voice calls are not on the 3G network (or wireless for that matter). 3G/wireless only refers to data. However, if you have a Google Voice account and use it to place calls, those calls are handled over your data connection, but still use your VZW minutes.

Reaction score

Even jesus doesn't know what you just said

Sent from my DROIDX

Wow. That was offensive.

Honestly, I don't believe you are very tech savvy at all if you don't understand the differences between wifi, data, and talk/text. All of your phone calls and text messages are transmitted via the cellular network and work independently of your data (3g/wifi connection). That is why dumbphones can make phone calls. If you are in area with no 3g or wifi, you can still make and receive phone calls and text messages. The same also holds true if you shut off your data connection or switch to wifi, it will not effect you calls or texts. Savvy?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Careful people. Freezetron is trying to understand how this all works, he didn't mean to be offensive, although he could have expressed it differently. I hope Mr. Orange response cleared the air for you Freezetron.

Remember we are all here to help each other. Be respectful.

Joker

Reaction score
Basically, voice calls are not on the 3G network (or wireless for that matter). 3G/wireless only refers to data. However, if you have a Google Voice account and use it to place calls, those calls are handled over your data connection, but still use your VZW minutes.

:) That's what I meant. Thanks for getting that more clear. Hope this helps. Thanks to Mr. Orange as well.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes, let's please play nicely.

Droid connects to WiFi. This has been a smartphone feature for years now. Texts and voice calls are handled via CDMA voice connection not 3G, so turning off your 3G/mobile data connection won't block texts or voice calls.

If your Verizon rep didn't explain the WiFi feature to you then you have been badly treated by said VZW rep because that's smartphone 101 -- initially it was to speed things up, guarantee data connection for e-mails and the like in areas with low-signal, and as a money-saving measure since the unlimited plans we now enjoy are new.