OMG, this is so awesome, I didn't know my droid could do this!!!

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Oh, I thought 3g was a combo of data and voice. So what network tech are regular cell calls using?

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Mr. Orange said:
Honestly, I don't believe you are very tech savvy at all if you don't understand the differences between wifi, data, and talk/text.

W
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Were you born with all knowledge of all that is? If so, it must be nice, but the rest of us normal humans need to learn about stuff the hard way

Sent from my DROIDX

Reaction score
Oh, I thought 3g was a combo of data and voice. So what network tech are regular cell calls using?

Sent from my DROIDX

3G/4G refers to data only. The network tech used to transmit calls and texts depends on the carrier. For example, Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology, whereas AT&T uses GSM. GSM is the more common tech worldwide.

Reaction score
Mr. Orange said:
Honestly, I don't believe you are very tech savvy at all if you don't understand the differences between wifi, data, and talk/text.

W
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Were born with all knowledge of all that is? If so, it must be nice, but the rest of us normal humans need to learn about stuff the hard way

Sent from my DROIDX

My apologies. You said something offensive, and I childishly returned in kind.

I do hope we cleared up the confusion for you though.

iPirate

Reaction score

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
GSM is actually older. :)

CDMA uses lower frequencies so, while it has less bandwidth per second of transmission, it also carries further and penetrates more easily so your voice connection is stronger over more areas. 3G in the states is pretty much universal at about 1900MHz, or 1.9GHz if you prefer.

The main difference between GSM and CDMA, for the end user in an area with strong signal, is that GSM allows data and voice at the same time whereas CDMA kills data when voice engages.

Reaction score
CDMA 850MHz.

Ooohhh. So its the same tech from 15 years ago? Wow.... ancient

Sent from my DROIDX

Very. So is the GSM network though. That is why you are seeing a huge push from all the major carriers to the "4G" networks (though none of the new techs meet 4G standards). Verizon is coming out with LTE, Sprint is rolling out their WiMax, and AT&T and others are going to HSPDA+.

interesting...

ill start with wifi is obviously faster than 3g and 4g, and will be faster than any cell services for a long time; probably forever.

the reason wifi might/will save your battery is because it is easier to connect to an access point 15 ft away through a few inches of drywall versus connecting to a tower possibly miles away through several houses, buildings, birds, etc.

Connecting through your cell's data radio also eats battery faster than the wifi, is because as your signal weakens (due to distance, weather, etc) the cell's radio searches for a stronger signal. With WiFi your signal is more consistent (generally). That is why many suggest turning off your WiFi radio if you are not within a WiFi hotspot, so its not searching for a connection, and using battery.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
All I use is wi-fi, I have it set up and home and I rarely leave. It's blazing fast.

Most places I go have wi-fi, even neighbors.

iPirate

Reaction score
CDMA 850MHz.

Sent from my DROIDX

Very. So is the GSM network though. That is why you are seeing a huge push from all the major carriers to the "4G" networks (though none of the new techs meet 4G standards). Verizon is coming out with LTE, Sprint is rolling out their WiMax, and AT&T and others are going to HSPDA+.

interesting...

ill start with wifi is obviously faster than 3g and 4g, and will be faster than any cell services for a long time; probably forever.

the reason wifi might/will save your battery is because it is easier to connect to an access point 15 ft away through a few inches of drywall versus connecting to a tower possibly miles away through several houses, buildings, birds, etc.

Connecting through your cell's data radio also eats battery faster than the wifi, is because as your signal weakens (due to distance, weather, etc) the cell's radio searches for a stronger signal. With WiFi your signal is more consistent (generally). That is why many suggest turning off your WiFi radio if you are not within a WiFi hotspot, so its not searching for a connection, and using battery.
I have seen this a few times. My company's training room has signal for about 1 minute every hour... my battery normally dies after 6 hours. When I don't have training I can get over 24 hours with light use

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can let it search for a connection all day and it will still be the lowest power consumption your phone uses. No point in ever turning it off.

CDMA 850MHz.

Sent from my DROIDX

interesting...

harrellj

Reaction score
CDMA 850MHz.

Sent from my DROIDX

One correction, T-Mobile is indeed going HSPDA+, but AT&T is also going the LTE route.

Joker

Reaction score
You can let it search for a connection all day and it will still be the lowest power consumption your phone uses. No point in ever turning it off.

This I didn't know. This would definitely save me a little hassle of turning on/off wifi when I get/leave home.