Turn off 3G/2G but retain wifi

nka

Reaction score
Solved: Turn off 3G/2G but retain wifi

Hey all, Verizon has zero coverage in my school's library. The wifi connection is great. I have noticed in previous phones that the phone constantly searching for a cell-network signal drains the battery like crazy.

How do I turn off the cell-service but keep wifi on? I tried turning off "Network data" but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Update: Due to the kindness of Droid-savvy commenters, it appears that you can turn off cell-service while retaining Wifi.

1) Turn on Airplane mode via holding down the sleep/wake button on the top of the droid

2) select airplane mode

3) Turn on wifi via Network settings or Wifi toggle widget.

Last edited:

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Hold down the Screen Lock/Power button.
A menu will appear with the following options:
-Silent Mode, Airplane Mode, Power Off.
Select Airplane mode, THEN turn on Wi-Fi (Airplane Mode turns off all radios: Bluetooth, Cellular, Wi-Fi).
You can also turn Airplane Mode on and off by going to the Home Screen and pressing Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Airplane Mode

When you are done make sure to turn Airplane Mode off or you won't get any cell service.

justin8338

Reaction score
Select Airplane mode, THEN turn on Wi-Fi (Airplane Mode turns off all radios: Bluetooth, Cellular, Wi-Fi).
You can also turn Airplane Mode on and off by going to the Home Screen and pressing Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Airplane Mode

When you are done make sure to turn Airplane Mode off or you won't get any cell service.

I should of been more clear, like this poster.

OP
N

nka

Reaction score

I tried that and despite turning the wifi on, I can't browse the internet. Are you sure this works?

OP
N

nka

Reaction score

I should of been more clear, like this poster.
You were clear. However I tried that before posting. And I could not get wifi to function properly.

justin8338

Reaction score
It does, I turned airplane mode on, then used the app togglewifi to turn the wifi on, then browsed the web. Do you need a key to gain access to the wifi?

OP
N

nka

Reaction score
It does, I turned airplane mode on, then used the app togglewifi to turn the wifi on, then browsed the web. Do you need a key to gain access to the wifi?

I was already connected prior to hitting airplane mode. I will try again when at home where the network is easier to access. Thanks for testing it out to confirm.