Ok so V 1.0 is out - What do you want to see in DROID V 2

dean.collins

Reaction score
Coming from a curve the keyboard sucks. My typing speed has gone down at least 50% or so. I'm willing to overlook that though based on everything this phone can do!

My thoughts exactly BUT motorola have less than 9 months to bring out the next generation that solves this problem otherwise they are going to get eaten alive by the other Android handsets coming.

So now that the Droid has been out for a month and people have consolidated their first thoughts... What do you want to see in Version 2.0?

The obvious one is a much better keyboard - lets face it we all love DROID but we all admit the keyboard sucks.

What else?

For me the next thing would be a bigger phone/screen. I would be happy if the phone was about 1 inch longer and about 1 inch wider.

This would add about 2.5" to the diagonal screen size. (also solving the cramped keyboard problem.

Do you think this is too big?

This would also allow people a much better browser experience, i love the resolution we now have but continually find myself zooming in.

So what else do you want? Maybe some VZW/Moto people might read this thread and start working on it now.....before they get eaten by HTC.

Cheers,
Dean

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So now that the Droid has been out for a month and people have consolidated their first thoughts... What do you want to see in Version 2.0?

The obvious one is a much better keyboard - lets face it we all love DROID but we all admit the keyboard sucks.

Maybe some VZW/Moto people might read this thread and start working on it now.....before they get eaten by HTC.

Cheers,
Dean
Keyboard is great for me. Actually like to use it....

HTC won't eat the Moto Droid...you may prefer it over the Droid and thats an entirely different story.

as far as "version 2"? Who knows I'm still enjoying "version 1" and am quite satisfied right now.

Ask in another 8 months : )

BeefyBeefo

Reaction score
When I played with the keyboard in the store, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I expected. A bigger phone would be nice for some, but draw others away. Considering the trend seems to be that the next generation will come out a year after the original, I'm tempted to wait for that version, although I highly doubt I'll be able to hold back.

yearn

Reaction score
For me the next thing would be a bigger phone/screen. I would be happy if the phone was about 1 inch longer and about 1 inch wider.

This would add about 2.5" to the diagonal screen size. (also solving the cramped keyboard problem.

Do you think this is too big?

Yes I definatly think thats to big, I have been pleased with the size of the screen, and I dont use the HW keyboard(except for SNESoid) so thats not an issue either.

I might not mind the screen being a little bit wider but not an inch, and definatly not any longer.

OP
D

dean.collins

Reaction score
People don't all hate the keyboard... I love it lol

go play with a HTC handset for an hour or two and you'll understand what a real keyboard can feel like. Maybe if you've never used a Treo etc the Droid cool (eg coming from an iPhone) but basically it suxs - though as i said still the best handset on the market all things considered.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

go play with a HTC handset for an hour or two and you'll understand what a real keyboard can feel like. Maybe if you've never used a Treo etc the Droid cool (eg coming from an iPhone) but basically it suxs -
it sucks for YOU we get that...

Everybody has a preference why argue over something so subjective? It goes no where.

sir

Reaction score
yea, i came from the iPhone and from Blackberries, and I love the physical keyboard. I'd probably be happy if they increased the size of the screen and left the unit the size it is (just stretch the screen to the sides of the device instead of having a black border).

other than that, I'd be happy with more horsepower under the hood - that's always a good thing if you're coming out with a new phone!

but they better not make it so different that the motorola dock isn't compatible!

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I'm happy with the current display. I'd like one with the following:

• No physical keyboard
  • Android 2.0
  • Faster processor
  • Landscape mode available on all screens.

I don't expect to replace mine for a while so it'll be interesting to see how they evolve and what's available a year from now.

OP
D

dean.collins

Reaction score

go play with a HTC handset for an hour or two and you'll understand what a real keyboard can feel like. Maybe if you've never used a Treo etc the Droid cool (eg coming from an iPhone) but basically it suxs -

Everybody has a preference why argue over something so subjective? It goes no where.

lol keyboard mechanics is hardly 'subjective' unlike what kind of cereal someone munches on in the morning.

There is a reason Treo and HTC are so highly regarded in this space. "concave buttons" wtf were they thinking??

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

lol keyboard mechanics is hardly 'subjective' unlike what kind of cereal someone munches on in the morning.

There is a reason Treo and HTC are so highly regarded in this space. "concave buttons" wtf were they thinking??

I also like the keyboard. I do understand that you aren't a big fan and that's cool. I am actually satisifed again with a phone. I like it the way it is :)

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
+1 Satisfied (it works) with the physical KB. Could be better, could be worse. Personal preference comes into play here.

In regards to screen / phone size, I can't see it going too much bigger without being considered a netbook. LOL It's widescreen already, and the biggest screen size on the block right now. I'm <personally> happy with the size right now.

If I would change one thing, I'd not have the top row of the KB so close to the top-half of the phone. This makes it difficult to hit the keys on the top row when typing.

- Mega

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

sure it is...you are saying it sucks and i am saying it does not suck. Who's right?

I was a hardcore BB user and have adapted perfectly to the keyboard. Is it as good as a BB keyboard? No...but it's great for what it is. A simple keyboard used for typing. It's nothing fancy or space age. It gets the job done, which is all I care about.

ncc1701p

Reaction score
As a former blackberry user:

BlueTooth Voice Dialing. I know every anDROID phone out there lacks this but I am praying they implement this in the OS eventually. I do miss this feature terrible.

lauriep

Reaction score
I also think the keyboard is just fine. Had a Voyageur with a great keyboard, and although this one is different, I got comfortable with it quickly and can type just as fast as I did on the V.

I think it is important to remember just how VAST the needs of users are today. No matter HOW creative the developers are, there is no way that they can forsee EVERY single feature a user will want. This is step one. I am VERY confident that future software upgrades and phones will continue to get closer to being a universally satisfying phone. But there will always be some who will tear it down because of one small flaw (to them).