Droid 2...what we want

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this is a ridiculous conversation to have a few months after the Droid came out. Wait 2 years and then have it be "which new phone am I going to get".

iPirate

Reaction score
As a developer of android, the hardware of MotoDroid is plenty powerful. I'd instead opt for FAR better hardware reachable capabilities.. by that I mean, presently video games and music apps like those you see on iPhone are no where near possible on Android, even with 2.1. :( The latency for audio production like apps on iPhone (BeatMaker, for example) is impossible on Android. As well, high end video graphics are just not possible due to limitations with how the native layer of Android (called NDK) can work with graphics hardware. It's coming, for sure..just not there yet.

I'd say tho, the "next gen" android devices.. would include Android 3.0 (or 2.5..which ever is due out end of year), a dual-core cpu 1Ghz or better, 512MB to 1GB ram and allow each running app to not be stuck to 24MB ram. Give us full ram capabilities with the ability to offer the user a single-app run mode.. so that high end games and music apps can sort of take over the android device and not potentially be shut down by Android due to using too much memory and some background task needing more. Basically, in order to compete with iPhone on games and music apps, which is a very big segment for iPhone, we need more underlying hardware access so us developers can get apps/games to the iPhone level.

To clarify the last part.. Android OS has total control over shutting down apps that are consuming too much memory. I do not know yet if it would actually shut down the current app running, but it will shut down background processes (services) and "paused" apps (those that you ran then hit back/home to start another app.. are currently paused). Thus, it would be nice if there was an iPhone like mode where you could run one main app, pause/suspend/stop all background tasks EXCEPT specific ones (such as the phone app..which handles incoming calls, outgoing calls, and SMS for messages, and a few others like the battery app, home page, etc). It would make it possible for us developers to offer more iPhone/Nintendo DS like games and music apps for Android.
Duel core 1GHz.. what kind of battery life would it have? 6 minutes?:icon_eek:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
In a few years (probably less) battery life will be WAY longer. They are already testing batteries that will last significantly longer.

I would imagine speech to text will be perfected (I prefer brain to text).

Some of this may be usable on what we have.

gdoane

Reaction score
I have a tendency to skip every other generation so my next phone would probably be a Droid 3.

Things I'd like to see (and could maybe happen on Droid) are:

1. Support for a USB keyboard and mouse. It would probably take a more sophisticated dock than the current one, but it would make a pretty cute little microcomputer if it had support for a keyboard and mouse in a docking station. Maybe even add support for printing.

2. Apps organization. Maybe I'm missing something here but there's no good way to group apps by category and reduce clutter on the screen. I'd like to put games in one folder, navigation/gps in another, utilities in a third and get my apps down to a more manageable arrangement than just alphabetical in a stack 8 phone screens high.

3. Quiet time setting. The phone has a clock, it should be able to figure out that I really don't want to hear "DRRROOOOIIIIDDD" at 2 AM scaring the nightmares out of me in bed. My old Moto pager can do that so why can't the far more advanced Moto Droid?

4. If they MUST have a d-pad, at least put it on the left side of the controls like every d-pad controller made this side of 1980. It would make games and apps a lot more intuitive to use. Right hand on a d-pad is just wrong.

5. Do something about the battery life roller coaster ride. I understand that the more things are going on that the shorter the battery life is going to be, but it would be nice to know if your battery usage is getting excessive and putting the device into a death spiral before it actually croaks.

cb2000a

Reaction score
As a developer of android, the hardware of MotoDroid is plenty powerful. I'd instead opt for FAR better hardware reachable capabilities.. by that I mean, presently video games and music apps like those you see on iPhone are no where near possible on Android, even with 2.1. :( The latency for audio production like apps on iPhone (BeatMaker, for example) is impossible on Android. As well, high end video graphics are just not possible due to limitations with how the native layer of Android (called NDK) can work with graphics hardware. It's coming, for sure..just not there yet.

I'd say tho, the "next gen" android devices.. would include Android 3.0 (or 2.5..which ever is due out end of year), a dual-core cpu 1Ghz or better, 512MB to 1GB ram and allow each running app to not be stuck to 24MB ram. Give us full ram capabilities with the ability to offer the user a single-app run mode.. so that high end games and music apps can sort of take over the android device and not potentially be shut down by Android due to using too much memory and some background task needing more. Basically, in order to compete with iPhone on games and music apps, which is a very big segment for iPhone, we need more underlying hardware access so us developers can get apps/games to the iPhone level.

To clarify the last part.. Android OS has total control over shutting down apps that are consuming too much memory. I do not know yet if it would actually shut down the current app running, but it will shut down background processes (services) and "paused" apps (those that you ran then hit back/home to start another app.. are currently paused). Thus, it would be nice if there was an iPhone like mode where you could run one main app, pause/suspend/stop all background tasks EXCEPT specific ones (such as the phone app..which handles incoming calls, outgoing calls, and SMS for messages, and a few others like the battery app, home page, etc). It would make it possible for us developers to offer more iPhone/Nintendo DS like games and music apps for Android.
Duel core 1GHz.. what kind of battery life would it have? 6 minutes?:icon_eek:

Actually not bad with the new form factor (and newer battery tech). I agree with above poster....it's not the hardware on the Droid....it's the software that needs to be improved.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Comments Below....

I have a tendency to skip every other generation so my next phone would probably be a Droid 3.

Things I'd like to see (and could maybe happen on Droid) are:

1. Support for a USB keyboard and mouse. It would probably take a more sophisticated dock than the current one, but it would make a pretty cute little microcomputer if it had support for a keyboard and mouse in a docking station. Maybe even add support for printing.

-- Meh, get a tablet :)

2. Apps organization. Maybe I'm missing something here but there's no good way to group apps by category and reduce clutter on the screen. I'd like to put games in one folder, navigation/gps in another, utilities in a third and get my apps down to a more manageable arrangement than just alphabetical in a stack 8 phone screens high.

-- Download Apps Organizer. DONE. (and free)

3. Quiet time setting. The phone has a clock, it should be able to figure out that I really don't want to hear "DRRROOOOIIIIDDD" at 2 AM scaring the nightmares out of me in bed. My old Moto pager can do that so why can't the far more advanced Moto Droid?

-- There is an App for that also I just didn't want it and don't remember the name. DONE

4. If they MUST have a d-pad, at least put it on the left side of the controls like every d-pad controller made this side of 1980. It would make games and apps a lot more intuitive to use. Right hand on a d-pad is just wrong.

-- I'd prefer no D-Pad...

5. Do something about the battery life roller coaster ride. I understand that the more things are going on that the shorter the battery life is going to be, but it would be nice to know if your battery usage is getting excessive and putting the device into a death spiral before it actually croaks.

-- There are companies that will come out will longer lasting batteries soon from what I read. I would imagine in the lifetime of the Droid.

andjarnic

Reaction score
In response to the one replying to me about dual-core and how long it would last.. I believe as a few others have said, in the next few years we will see a major increase in battery capabilities. As an example, do some searching on the nano-tech batteries being developed for electric cars. They have a much longer life and extremely quick recharge time of minutes instead of hours. While they are still in development, it's only a matter of short time before they make their way into smaller devices.

As for the next-gen phones.. I can almost guarantee you will see pico projectors and laser based keyboards. They already have this possible now, but with the ability to do the "all in one" device.. a dual core cpu with 1GB ram, pico projector, laser keyboard.. pretty much obsoletes most computers for most people.. and makes it especially handy for business folks. Couple in some virtual glasses (for when you don't want to use the pico projector on a plane), and you got yourself a present day netbook in a much smaller form factor. It's coming.. for sure. It's just whether or not we the people are ready to adopt such a device over our mouse/keyboard/large screen... are we ready to move to privatized screen glasses (and will they perfect it so that our eyes dont hurt after an hour of use) and a laser keyboard on any surface over our current keyboards and mouse.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Since I'm happy with what I've got, I'll say my next phone will have 4G support and that'll be after 4G is widely deployed. That gives you a pretty good idea of how happy I am with the Droid cause that's gonna be a while.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
The keyboard on the Droid is too cramped. I can't type anything without hitting one or two additional keys. If the keys could be spaced out more as well as having a dedicated numeric row, that would be my only wish. Everything else about this phone is wonderful!

huerito323

Reaction score
This is almost getting stupid..... people just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Well, I would suspect that if Moto is being at all savvy they monitor these forums to get a read on what users want.

I'd like to see more built in memory, faster CPU, lose the keyboard, add a second micro-SD card slot since they are small, more battery life, LTE, HDMI, and a headphone jack that is modular and user or store replaceable (would be accessible from under the battery cover). I'd also like to see them make it more robust as far as being able to handle being dropped.

Why the hell do they need to get rid of the keyboard?. That was a big selling point for me. Not all people are willing to type on a touchscreen for the rest of their life. I only use the touch keyboard when i type something quick. Motorola should just make the keyboard better. Im typing this from my droid, i already got used to it but it could be better.

wickedkae

Reaction score
KEEP the keyboard. What is wrong with people.

With more keys we have access to more sophisticated games. Add 2 analogs, and some shoulder buttons. Yes this sounds like a psp, but that's a good thing.

Do people really prefer to play lame games with their fingers covering up half the screen?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could live without the keyboard but only if they OEM'd Swype on the phone. I find I barely use the keyboard after I got Swype.

However if given the option of a slim phone with a much better keyboard I'd still take the keyboard. I find my accuracy is better with a good keyboard than with Swype or Speaking to it. But typing with my fingernails on the droid is not what I really enjoy.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a certain "crack" site forum. Always dreaming of the next phone... because what was offered were all cookie cutter versions of each other.... not the case with the Droid.
I don't want a Droid 2... I want my Droid :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a certain "crack" site forum. Always dreaming of the next phone... because what was offered were all cookie cutter versions of each other.... not the case with the Droid.
I don't want a Droid 2... I want my Droid :)
to be fair, the next DROID is already in development. these devices take years to research, develop, manufacture and market. other phones that Moto decides to release were subsequent of the original release. if a revision to the DROID were to arrive, it would be 2-3 years from now.

with that said, i LOVE the styling of my DROID. chin or not, i've come to get used to it. the length and width are damn near perfect and i can actually put the phone under my ear, while resting it on my shoulder.

i want the device to remain exactly the same with a few improvements. the lip surrounding the screen should be flush with the screen, the d-pad should be a similar material to the keyboard, the outside buttons need to be stronger and moisture resistant and the gap between the screen and keyboard should be closed up a little.

beyond that, moto should concentrate on shoving more powerful hardware in the same package as well as producing a slightly larger battery in the same space. they should also redesign the battery door to include a clip at the top to further secure it.

oh and lose the LED flash and replace it with a xenon (wishful thinking).