The Snapdragon from Qualcomm Will Have New Dual-Core Progeny on the Near Horizon

smokiedabong

Reaction score
However, you have to remember that it's only powering a 3.5"-4" screen with much lower resolution then what the xbox 360 or ps3 pumps out. The end result will be graphic performance that is on par with those consoles.

SIGH..... yet another thread of misinformation.... It is a complete JOKE to think that the adreno 300 series will be as fast as a PS3 or xbox360. LAUGHABLE joke.

This forum is turning into a landfill of misinformation. :(

False , Xbox360 games have at best an internal resolution of 720p and the image is upscaled to 1080p , so it only calculates 720p , the image you see from Xbox is not true 1080p . The Droid Bionic has a resolution of 960 x 540 , Alan Wake , the Xbox game has an internal resolution of 960x544 . The resolution that needs to be calculated on the phone is the same with the Xbox .
This is complete BS , PS3 has around 500 GFLOPS of computing power (that's 500.000 MegaFLOPS ) 230 GFLOPS only from the Cell Processor , the same processor that's used in one of the most powerful supercomputer on the planet , Your Droid gets under 100 MegaFLOPS ( 0.01 GFLOPS ) . Now you see why this is a complete joke ? It's like comparing desktops with laptops . Maybe in many years from now there will be a phone capable of reaching 230 GFLOPS , but that won't be for sure the 3rd Snapdragon generation .

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I was saying the Thunderbolt more because HTC uses the Qualcomm processors and the Thunderbolt is the only LTE phone coming out with a single core. I was considering the TB but I may wait now and see when a dual core Evo-sized beast comes out.

Bolded is false. Revolution and Samsung have single-core. To say the Bionic is the only LTE phone with dual core would be more accurate.

thorton02

Reaction score
SIGH..... yet another thread of misinformation.... It is a complete JOKE to think that the adreno 300 series will be as fast as a PS3 or xbox360. LAUGHABLE joke.

This forum is turning into a landfill of misinformation. :(

Our imaginations are running wild. It can't be helped. It's really an exciting time just to be having this discussion.

Seriously though. I'm still trying to perfect Ps2 emulation on my desktop. There's no way anything made in the next 2 years will be comparable to xbox or Ps3. Although just like everyone on these boards in the last few days, I could be wrong.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
The xbox and ps3 are both sporting a 3.2Ghz cpu if my memory is right... I have a hard time beliving that it can keep pace. I know Xbox is sporting a new xbox live mobile feature but that has to be dialed down somewhat. Just saying. :)

^+
Exactly... I don't know what crack those people were smoking but you simply can NOT get MULTI-core performance from a 'dual' core, duh... also 1.5G is a FAR CRY (pun intended) from 3+G... it might be 'comparable' to the arcade games perhaps but that it.... The graphical processor alone in both those consoles hold more calculation ability than anything you're going to find in a phone in the next few years (simple limitation of HEAT and POWER with the current technology)
Let me wet you flame lit log a bit my friend now take this into thought the sony psp has a processor click s speed of 333mhz max if I recall correctly with 32Mbs psp phat and all others having 64Mbs of ram if I remember correctly, and the psp graphics are close to if not = on most games to PS2.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was saying the Thunderbolt more because HTC uses the Qualcomm processors and the Thunderbolt is the only LTE phone coming out with a single core. I was considering the TB but I may wait now and see when a dual core Evo-sized beast comes out.

Bolded is false. Revolution and Samsung have single-core. To say the Bionic is the only LTE phone with dual core would be more accurate.

I've seen on some sites claims that the Revolution is dual core... although I do believe it is not.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^+1 there's something to be said for architecture. Ps1 was 34 MHz!

Darkseider

Reaction score

I've seen on some sites claims that the Revolution is dual core... although I do believe it is not.

Yeah. Most though are now reporting that it is a single core Snapdragon 8655. Personally I was hoping for it to be an Optimus 2x clone but oh well... I am liking the Bionic but will wait to see if T-Mo gets the 2x and will play with the Atrix as well.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah. Most though are now reporting that it is a single core Snapdragon 8655. Personally I was hoping for it to be an Optimus 2x clone but oh well... I am liking the Bionic but will wait to see if T-Mo gets the 2x and will play with the Atrix as well.
I was hoping for it to be an Optimus 2x clone as well... but I've drawn the same conclusions as you have....

I too will play around with other devices in making my next purchase.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

I stand corrected.

Levenly

Reaction score
The xbox and ps3 are both sporting a 3.2Ghz cpu if my memory is right... I have a hard time beliving that it can keep pace. I know Xbox is sporting a new xbox live mobile feature but that has to be dialed down somewhat. Just saying. :)

^+
Exactly... I don't know what crack those people were smoking but you simply can NOT get MULTI-core performance from a 'dual' core, duh... also 1.5G is a FAR CRY (pun intended) from 3+G... it might be 'comparable' to the arcade games perhaps but that it.... The graphical processor alone in both those consoles hold more calculation ability than anything you're going to find in a phone in the next few years (simple limitation of HEAT and POWER with the current technology)

Don't forget that consoles have to push out 1080p resolution on massive TVs where every detail can be seen. On a 4" screen, its much different. I used to be able to play Crysis on my computer with ultra settings, but in a very small window. Full screen it and thats a much different story.

most games on consoles don't render at 1080p... they're upscaled and fps is capped usually at 30, which is why games like GTA4 would otherwise run too poorly due to the constant framerate jumping.

but yes, i don't think that the phones will be able to render games at the exact quality of ps3 and xbox 360. perhaps player textures, but not world textures / shaders. not to mention DOV should be severely limited not only because the screen is too small, but the phones don't have much memory or processing power to keep up to even ps3/xbox 360. forget about AA and AF techniques as that would cripple the phone.

thesandman00

Reaction score

^+

Yeah, considering the Cell in the PS3 is verging on near supercomputer processing prowess, this is hard to believe to say the least. I guess it's just marketing mumbo jumbo like usual.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course it marketing mumbo jumbo. Like when the Incredible came out everyone wanted a phone that had a 1Ghz Snapdragon....Snapdragon, Snapdragon, Snapdragon....buzz word.

Everyone wanted a 1Ghz Snapdragon, yet the gpu in the 550 Mhz OMAP in the Droid 1 was better.

G

Grimster

Of course it marketing mumbo jumbo. Like when the Incredible came out everyone wanted a phone that had a 1Ghz Snapdragon....Snapdragon, Snapdragon, Snapdragon....buzz word.

Everyone wanted a 1Ghz Snapdragon, yet the gpu in the 550 Mhz OMAP in the Droid 1 was better.
lolz, I would recommend getting an education in smart phones before posting again. The 550mhz TI OMAP cpu in the Droid 1 does NOT contain any kind of GPU. It has a seperate chip PowerVR SGX 535 gpu along side of it on the circuit board. It does NOT run at 550mhz like the CPU nor does the snapdragon run its Anderno 205 GPU at 1ghz. You cant just "make things up" and pretend they are real. I would like to thank you though for displaying this trait so now we know to dismiss anything you post from now on.

G

Grimster

Also, everyone was excited about the snapdragon not for its GPU but for its 1ghz CPU which blew away everything out there. Nobody cared about playing stupid 3D video games on a phone. The CPU performance at the time was holding back all smart phones and the snapdragon was a revolution.