Qualcomm's Dual-CPU Snapdragon CPU

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
qc-snapdragon1.jpg

Today Qualcomm announced it's unleashing a new dual CPU snapdragon processor. I'm still impressed with the current snap dragon processor found in the HTC Droid Incredible, so I can only imagine what the next wave of Android phones will be like. Check out the full press release below:

Third-generation Snapdragon Solutions Feature Two Application Processor Cores Running up to 1.2 GHz to Enable Advanced Smartphones

TAIPEI, Taiwan – June 01, 2010 – Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of wireless technologies, products and services, today announced the Company has sampled its first dual-CPU Snapdragon™ chipsets. The Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) MSM8260™ and MSM8660™ solutions integrate two of the Company’s enhanced cores running at up to 1.2GHz. Targeted at enabling high-end smartphones, the MSM8x60 solutions are third-generation chipsets from the Company’s expanded Snapdragon platform, which has been powering smartphones, tablets and smartbook devices in markets around the world.

“Qualcomm’s first-generation Snapdragon chipsets set a new standard for advanced smartphones and smartbook devices, and our second-generation solutions are already shipping in volume,” said Steve Mollenkopf, executive vice president of Qualcomm and president of Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. “We are very excited by the innovation our customers are already showing as they begin designing products based on our dual-core MSM8260 and MSM8660 chipsets.”

The MSM8260 for HSPA+ and MSM8660 for multi-mode HSPA+/CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. B feature two enhanced CPU cores running at up to 1.2GHz for high levels of Web application and multimedia performance, including a powerful GPU with 3D/2D acceleration engines for Open GLES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 accelration, 1080p video encode/decode, dedicated low power audio engine, integrated low power GPS, and support for 24-bit WXGA 1280 x 800 resolution displays.

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon family of chipset solutions includes:
• First-generation products: QSD8x50™ with 1GHz enhanced core
• Second-generation products: MSM8x55™ and QSD8x50A™ with 1GHz enhanced core, including multimedia optimizations and 1.3GHz enhanced core, respectively
• Third-generation products: MSM8260, MSM8660 and QSD8672 with dual-CPU architecture featuring enhanced cores running at up to 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz, respectively

Source: Qualcomm

bizzshow

Reaction score
Nice but let's hope they prove to be much better than the first gen. Which they will still waiting on the ti equivalent

him

Reaction score
Damn....was going to get the new droid but i guess ill wait until this chip comes out...

Droids

Reaction score
Damn....was going to get the new droid but i guess ill wait until this chip comes out...
You'll never have the latest and greatest for more than 6 months, from this point on. In 2011 we'll see dual-core procs from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, each leapfrogging the other every six months. Probably only the iPhone will do once a year updates.

g8gt2012

Reaction score

This just starts a long time of waiting and never buying. The PC market is exactly the same, I bought brand new stuff for my build and a month later I was already old news haha. Eventually you just have to buy and be happy, because the tech will kick a** regardless.

g8gt2012

Reaction score
You'll never have the latest and greatest for more than 6 months, from this point on. In 2011 we'll see dual-core procs from Qualcomm and Texas Instruments, each leapfrogging the other every six months. Probably only the iPhone will do once a year updates.

haha looks like I got beat to it. :icon_evil: :D

brando56894

Reaction score
hopefully these will be in a decent amount of phones come next year when I might upgrade.

This just starts a long time of waiting and never buying. The PC market is exactly the same, I bought brand new stuff for my build and a month later I was already old news haha. Eventually you just have to buy and be happy, because the tech will kick a** regardless.

Isnt that the truth, I remember I ordered a motherboard once and it was backordered, once I finally got it the damn thing was obsolete already!

dhinged

Reaction score
Scopecreep!

This is great and all, but this doesn't mean they'll be on any Droid phone.

bizzshow

Reaction score
On a Verizon Droid branded phone. I think you will see it who knows when but. The way Verizon is pushing high end phones you can bet their asking for. A phone to be built with this

Krish

Reaction score
wow dual-core. I'm guessing the overclock speeds will be amazing with that kind of power under the hood.

bizzshow

Reaction score
The stock speeds will be amazing overclock crazy. Let's just hope they built some wiggle room so we can get some crazy speeds

Anomander

Reaction score
I'm wondering if over heating is going to be an issue. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

Hell as much as I want to see one in a Smartphone I'd like to see what the dual core can do with and Android Pad. Having that run 1080P on a 11" display would be nice on the eyes for videos.

I think by the time I get around to upgrading my Moto Droid I can probably get a phone with a dual core in it. :)

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
hopefully these will be in a decent amount of phones come next year when I might upgrade.

Isnt that the truth, I remember I ordered a motherboard once and it was backordered, once I finally got it the damn thing was obsolete already!

Your motherboard is FAR from obsolete. Obsolete would be a socket 1 motherboard that uses ISA components. Last computer i built, I built right when the Intel Core2 came out. Is it obsolete? Heck no, still kicks butt on hardware intensive games. But is it obsolete? (as long as PCI-E is still the standard, it won't be)

g8gt2012

Reaction score

Your motherboard is FAR from obsolete. Obsolete would be a socket 1 motherboard that uses ISA components. Last computer i built, I built right when the Intel Core2 came out. Is it obsolete? Heck no, still kicks butt on hardware intensive games. But is it obsolete? (as long as PCI-E is still the standard, it won't be)

Right, it takes awhile for something to become truly obsolete, I was just saying that my PC was old in terms of what the new tech was. But it was only a month or so old, by know means obsolete. I mean graphics cards get outdated about every other month or so now it seems. But that doesn't mean that the old ones are worthless.

So just be happy with what you get because regardless of what you get, it will be beat in a short amount of time. Just be happy with it.

Just wanted to clarify a little haha. Besides I personally think that a dual core CPU in a phone is a little ridiculous I can understand wanting it and all, but its borderline cheap laptop territory haha.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I am just curious as to whether or not these new Qualcomm parts are still based on their "Scorpion" Cortex A-8 cores or are they Cortex A-9? That's the only thing the announcement has not made clear and there is no information anywhere on the interwebs that gives specifics.