First Dual-Core Snapdragons Are Shipping... Where to?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
THE DROIDX IS NOT ON THE OMAP 3630

EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE THIS.

OMAP3640 - 1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3630 - 720 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

Sorry to sound ANAL!

you are correct, sorry. i have made the appropriate changes in my OP

here's the source link for anyone interested: TI extends OMAP 3 product family |Texas Instruments

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
THE DROIDX IS NOT ON THE OMAP 3630

EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE THIS.

OMAP3640 - 1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3630 - 720 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

Sorry to sound ANAL!

I'm almost positive that I read TI is using the 3630 and overclocking it to 1ghz. Do you have a link stating that it is is 3640?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I hope you're right! If it is the 3640 instead of the 3630 being pushed to 1ghz, that should leave a decent amount of wiggle room for OCing if/when we get root. I know we shouldn't need to OC anymore, but it's still fun to see what this newer OMAP is capable of.

Reaction score
I wonder how the battery life would be on a phone with a 2ghZ proccesor, the 16mp camera is outrageous for a phone IMO
:reddroid:

goldenu

Reaction score
correction and update

the dual-core snapdragons will be dual cpu + gpu (not single cpu + gpu)

So is the MSM7200 series. However, upon reviewing the specs, the Dual-core snapdragons will allow user processing on both cores, where the MSM7200 series has one core dedicated to phone-only functions, while the other is dedicated to user processing. Uncertain what the impact of this arrangement will be as the two cores will have to support both functions.

Mfusick

Reaction score
Very nice but I don't really see a point in having such power until we actually have some games that need it...I think phones using the 1 ghz TI Omap should be plenty fast enough.

agree. future applications might require this kind of processing power...

bu currently it is too much

Jmart922

Reaction score
Funny thing,i ws just reading about the snap dragon processor last night and remember looking over those same processor models, with the integrated adreno 220, hope it finds its way into that BGR leaked htc phone

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Okay I gotta rant on this one guys...

• 16 megapixel camera
ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME? STOP GIVING ME GIANT CRAP PICTURES AND WORRY ABOUT ACTUAL QUALITY LENSES AND SENSORS. HAVING SKYSCRAPER SIZE IMAGES DOES NOTHING WHEN IT'S 1/15TH THE QUALITY OF A STAND ALONE.

Quality manufacturers, a QUALITY lens and sensor is what we want, not your marketing ploys.

Fun fact: my LG Dare produced a much, MUCH better photo under all conditions except sunny outdoors compared to my Droid. Know why?

Quality.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Cell phones... I am seeing them replace a lot of stuff we use today unless you are a professional in the field. Cameras, laptops, tablets, computers, my time and life, gaming systems, etc..

Small enough to fit in your pocket, capable of doing all the things those media can do and the ability to hook upto something with a larger screen.

I imagine being able to, instead of hooking by big old computer upto the tv, to just be able to set my little phone on the mantle and go nuts.

As far as the battery is concerned, if its gets out of hand, they will just replace the standard battery with a bigger one.