Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
HTC Pyramid to have 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon, heading to T-Mobile in Q2

HTC-Pyramid-to-have-1.2GHz-dual-core-Snapdragon-heading-to-T-Mobile-in-Q2

2 tech blogs confirmed that HTC has lined up a 4G device for T-Mobile, under the codename Pyramid, which is supposed to land on Big Magenta May or June.

The HTC Pyramid Stats So Far:

• Chipset is supposed to be Qualcomm's MSM 8260,
  • Third generation Snapdragon.
  • 1.2GHz dual-core CPU.
  • The usual 4.3" screen size that the company uses for its high-endmodels, here receives the new and hip qHD resolution of 540x960 pixels, like the Motorola ATRIX 4G.

http://www.youtube.com/user/QUALCOMMVlog#p/search/0/9zO5rX5tL1Yhttp://www.youtube.com/user/QUALCOMMVlog#p/search/0/9zO5rX5tL1Y

Source Phone Arena:via TmoNews

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Why can't WE ever get cool phones like this, over here on Verizon? It seems the really top of the line phones are going to other carriers, while Verizon gets somewhat similar, not quite as good variations of those phones. :icon_eek:

-Mike

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this makes me want to hold off on the thunderbolt because that means their may be a dual core htc phone for vzw.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't see HTC releasing the TB and then a successor until at least Q4. Just a guess.

Adrozz07

Reaction score
I stand by my decision of not considering a dual core until an optimal OS is released to take advantage of it. Don't be distracted by the shiny bells and whistles, guys. I think high end single core is still the best option for now. I will be getting the TB.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mjforte

Reaction score
Isn't this Snapdragon only a cortex A8 architecture still? So while it may be clocked higher it won't perform as well as say the Tegra 2 and OMAP 4 which are both cortex A9's, right?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
this makes me want to hold off on the thunderbolt because that means their may be a dual core htc phone for vzw.

It seems strange that we haven't seen what we expected on VZW yet, which is dual core LTE with at least 768ram.

Of course, there's none with a physical keyboard yet. I guess we've heard of a DX2, a Droid 3, and DInc2 but not much in the way of specs.

AT&T is getting 12 new Android devices this year. We know of about 4 for VZW so far. The question is, AT&T was behind the curve and so if VZW were to get only 8 I'm worried the 4 we haven't heard about might be mid/low-tier. It's possible the DX2, D3 and DInc2 are the only other high-end (aside from IPhone 5G) we'll see on VZW this year.

electric6

Reaction score

Exactly. The Droid incredible 2, according to my vzw rep will have the same 4.3" screen as the TB, and is supposedly going to have "updated hardware over the thunderbolt". This may be the big red equivalent coming in april/june, just like the original incredible did. I think we'll see for sure at the MWC on the 7th. Only time will tell! If it is, then I will just wait till it is released instead, unless they start upcharging for 4g by then.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Isn't this Snapdragon only a cortex A8 architecture still? So while it may be clocked higher it won't perform as well as say the Tegra 2 and OMAP 4 which are both cortex A9's, right?

I think all dual core chips are A9's. or the ones that are from major manufactures.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I stand by my decision of not considering a dual core until an optimal OS is released to take advantage of it.

Which will probably be in a matter of months. With 2-yr contracts I'm not about to pull the trigger on a phone that's already behind the curve the day it's released.

And the simple fact is, there was a video of the Optimus 2X just destroying the IPhone on browser speed, and that's not even optimized for dual core, as you said.

I'm sure the newer phones will all be better in that regard, but if I step-up to LTE there's no way I'm getting a single core phone. It's the equivalent of getting high-speed home broadband and piping it through a crappy out-of-date wireless router.

With the pace of smartphone tech, if you aren't buying the cutting edge you are going to end-up wanting to or being forced to upgrade well before you'd otherwise have to. The OS and apps will catch-up to dual-core pretty quick and phones running single-core processors are going to be left in the dust almost yesterday. I would say if you can remember the PC biz around the time it was having similar jumps in tech I wouldn't be wasting my money on a single core phone. Nor do I think you can say "new tech, let the bugs get worked out" because that's not entirely accurate but more a new application of old PC tech (yeah, different architecture blah blah blah but a lot of the lessons have already been learned).

Adrozz07

Reaction score
I stand by my decision of not considering a dual core until an optimal OS is released to take advantage of it.

Which will probably be in a matter of months. With 2-yr contracts I'm not about to pull the trigger on a phone that's already behind the curve the day it's released.

And the simple fact is, there was a video of the Optimus 2X just destroying the IPhone on browser speed, and that's not even optimized for dual core, as you said.

I'm sure the newer phones will all be better in that regard, but if I step-up to LTE there's no way I'm getting a single core phone. It's the equivalent of getting high-speed home broadband and piping it through a crappy out-of-date wireless router.

With the pace of smartphone tech, if you aren't buying the cutting edge you are going to end-up wanting to or being forced to upgrade well before you'd otherwise have to. The OS and apps will catch-up to dual-core pretty quick and phones running single-core processors are going to be left in the dust almost yesterday. I would say if you can remember the PC biz around the time it was having similar jumps in tech I wouldn't be wasting my money on a single core phone. Nor do I think you can say "new tech, let the bugs get worked out" because that's not entirely accurate but more a new application of old PC tech (yeah, different architecture blah blah blah but a lot of the lessons have already been learned).

You make some good points, but I guess it boils down to how fast to you "need" your phone to be. Purchases are all a matter of opinion and as long as you're informed you can make the best decision for yourself. as a function of Moores law, anything we decide to buy will be obsolete before our contracts are up anyway, but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't still be a quality piece of equipment that serves its purpose. It really just boils down to, for me, wanting the freedom of customization in the TB rather than "needing" my web page to load 1/2 second faster.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It really just boils down to, for me, wanting the freedom of customization in the TB rather than "needing" my web page to load 1/2 second faster.

don't disagree with any of that, but before you settle on the TB you really should compare side-by-side with a dual core. For me, the ability to load and play flash video before the other finishes downloading the site (with no video, just that arrow) is significant leap in functionality. I'm sure the TB fairs better, but then the OS will be optimized for dual-core soon.

I hate the "arrow" and definitely would like to auto-download the video preview (without the wait). I just feel like a single-core LTE is ultimately like putting a Honda engine in a Ferrari.

moosez3

Reaction score
It really just boils down to, for me, wanting the freedom of customization in the TB rather than "needing" my web page to load 1/2 second faster.

don't disagree with any of that, but before you settle on the TB you really should compare side-by-side with a dual core. For me, the ability to load and play flash video before the other finishes downloading the site (with no video, just that arrow) is significant leap in functionality. I'm sure the TB fairs better, but then the OS will be optimized for dual-core soon.

I hate the "arrow" and definitely would like to auto-download the video preview (without the wait). I just feel like a single-core LTE is ultimately like putting a Honda engine in a Ferrari.

I think maybe you are putting a little too much faith in the processor and its abilities, I dont think any of the first dual cores are going to be noticeably better than a great phone like the TB...