"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

TeeX

Reaction score
ever since installing and running the bionic toolbox my battery life has increased noticeably.

are you referring to TBH's toolbox?

just wanna make sure I'm not missing out on anything :D

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Debating the same.... bad cell reception at work 0-1 bars + 4g almost all the time kills even the extended... 6.5 hrs with 2.5hrs screen on time and I have 30% left

Still better than my d1 or dx... id be charging long ago... the 4g gets me internet where those phones didnt

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Ended with 8hrs 40 mins on one charge.... over 3hrs screen on time about 3.5 .... that's way more than the d1/dx in this building.... usually I'd charge after lunch, now im good!

Droichuck

Reaction score
I am coming from the original Droid, to the new Bionic. I live in 4G fringe area, and usually am not on it.

My old phone, I had 6 regular batteries, and 2 extended batteries. I play golf everyday and the use of GPS for yardage would drain it usually at hole 10/11. Two extended batteries, or 3 regular batteries would get me through the day. 4-5 hrs per round.

Bionic @ course in 3G area, will run full 5 hours of GPS, and still have 40% left. Car charger will get me charged on the way home for full day of service.

I ordered a new original battery, not ex-battery, for backup.

I love the Bionic. It works well for me. ;-)

mikeruoc

Reaction score
Maybe when people state their battery life we can add what email accounts you have on the phone and if push is on or not.

For example:

My batt life has not been great on the Ext Battery. I can make it a day if I use it light.

I have on Exchange Account and one Gmail account.

Thanks

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Battery seems to keep getting better here. I'm averaging 50% - 60% charge at night after being on for 16+ hours.

One thing I've always wondered with batteries, I know it's important to completely charge and drain the battery on its first cycle, but what about after that? I hate the idea of charging my battery when it's at 50% at night, but I also don't want to wake up with a 40% or lower charge and then have to take my charger with me during the day. I love the convenience of charging at night and using the phone all day freely. Should I be changing my habits to prolong life?

Dougw133

Reaction score
Wow. 2nd charge cycle with extended battery. Medium use last night for a few hours. left off the charger last night. Medium use today and 22 hours and 30 minutes later at 50%!!! So worth it...

DroidMedic

Reaction score
Had it for 3 days now, one was in a full 4G area and with heavy use i killed it over 6 hours. That was after the first full charge. After the second full charge i ran it for upwards of 10 hours with moderate use and i got it to 30%. I used it in a alternating 3g/4g spot with moderate use and it didn't touch the battery after the third charge. Battery/OS seem to be better then it's predecessors.

Psychlone

Reaction score
Obviously there are WAAY too many variables for us all to get together on what's working and what's not.

Personally, with what I consider moderate usage (2+ hours of calls, ~30 texts, at least an hour with multiple apps with the screen on, etc.) - I'm getting 30 hours VERY consistently.
I downloaded and installed JuicePlotter so I could track my battery discharge more effectively, and I've held a license of UltimateJuice/JuiceDefender since it's inception, but have yet to actually install it on the Bionic.

After 4 complete discharges and recharge cycles, I'm consistently hitting the 30-hour mark on a single charge with my current usage.

Now, the next step is to install JuiceDefender and using JuicePlotter, I'll be able to see what the differences are in battery life and why.
This will help TREMENDOUSLY in being able to post up specific settings that I've used, along with a fairly detailed log of my usage and phone settings.

If ANYONE would like to help create a standardized list of our Bionic settings (literally everything on our phones that may have anything to do with our battery life) so that everyone posting in this thread is comparing oranges to oranges instead of the random way it's going now. Then, I'll add to it with one for JuiceDefender and all of it's options. (providing that JD actually helps the battery life)

The way I see it, we just need to standardize our posts in this thread so everyone can see the information in an easy way, and everyone just copy/paste the same stuff with their own numbers or settings in it.

i.e.

..Wireless Networks >
...Airplane Mode....[OFF]
...WiFi..................[ON]
...Bluetooth..........[OFF]
...Mobile Networks >
.....Network Mode.....[CDMA Only]
.....System Select.....[Home Only]

..Display >
...Brightness [MIN] (meaning the slider is set to minimum)
...Animation.........[OFF]
...Screen Timeout.[30 Sec]

..Battery & Data Manager >
...Battery Mode.....[CUSTOM]
....[CUSTOM SETTINGS]
......Off-peak hours [10:00pm] to [8:00am]
......Turn off data after [15 minutes]
......Peak hours data off after [Always On]
......Display brightness [MIN] (meaning the slider is set to minimum)
...Data Saver [OFF]
...Data Delivery >
.......Background Data.[ ]
.......Data Roaming.....[ ]
.......Data Enabled......[x]
.......Social Applications
..........Sync over Wi-Fi Only....[x]
..........Data deliver frequency.[60 minutes]

^That's literally half of the work already done right there. If someone would be kind enough to pick this up and finish just the rest of the standard Bionic settings, then we could ALL just copy the template and paste it into our posts, then change the values to what OUR settings are. Follow that up with a caption at the bottom of how many phone calls (in minutes/hours), how many texts (inc. pix/vid), how much browsing (minutes/hours), etc. ...and we'll have a standardized template that we ALL can use to compare correctly.

Psychlone

lkevinl

Reaction score
Ok, I've been really concerned about my battery life, so today I did a test where I changed to max battery saver in the battery mode settings and turned off 4G with the thought that I'd only turn it on if I needed the band width. I also manually controlled wifi and bluetooth... bluetooth on in the car, off elsewhere, wifi off out and about but on at home or in vicinity of known hot spots.

I'm at 15h 15m with 20% left. My OG Droid could never last that long.

Interestingly, I never turned on 4G once... no need to.

I understand this is not ideal. I'd love to use thing without the ext. battery but the biggest pain would be manually managing wifi and bluetooth. Since 4G usage was so minimal, manually managing might not be an issue, but still not ideal.

I'll try to experiment tomorrow with just turning off 4G and leave wifi and bluetooth on as I used to to see if I still get good battery life.

lkevinl

Reaction score
Barely using right now but still at 20%.

fucco

Reaction score
I had my bionic and ext battery swapped out yesterday due to a draining battery issue. I charged the new phone to 100% overnight cleared the battery stats (rooted) and after 3hr 40 min hours i am down to 50%. It shows Media 36%, cell standby 29%, phone idle 23%, display 9% voice calls 3%. I am having the same battery issues with the new phone and battery. I am in 3g area so I have 4g off, the wifi and bluetooth are off. I am not playing games or have google sync running at all. I cant figure what is draining the battery. The is the second phone and 3rd ext battery i have. I do not have any task killers downloaded. Also, do you think i just need to drain and fully charge the battery 5-7 times to get its full potentital since I am am starting from scratch with a new phone/battery??? From what i read on the forum people are getting aroung 15-20 hours on the ext battery with moderate usage. Since i had the bionic on Day 1 with the ext battery i am getting 7-8 hours with light usage and cant figure out why?

On a side not since I am grasping at straws rooting will not affect battery life correct? I have had the orignal droid since day one and that was rooted. It would last me 14-15 hours with ext battery.

what setting should I have the phone too? I have it on "full performance" I want it to sync data only becuase i have beautiful widgets clock/weather on my homescreen i believe if i set it to somthing else and the data sync stops then the temp and time will stop. Is this correct?

fucco

Reaction score
Should I clear the Battery stats bin file when the phone is at 100% or when the phone is just about to die??