Battery life issue after official ICS

galactichero

Reaction score
Wait... you DIDN'T mean praying to Franklin Delano Roosevelt... that explains SOOOO much...

Trying Juicedefender in earnest. Will report back. JD includes a lot of what are now called "Smart Actions," but periodically turns the radios on and off to save battery. I was told that it may not work, but if it looks like it's working I may buy the full version. I'll let people know.

deduct

Reaction score
shawn4057 said:
Yes I did the fdr to.did it on all 4 bionics I have on my plan.still only get roughly 4 to 5 hours on each phone fully charged.

What is your screen on time? Standard batteries?

intmd8r

Reaction score
I don't know how old y'alls phones/batteries are, but I just wanted to mention that batteries DO wear out and you will get less out of them over time. I was able to get a new battery for free from Verizon via warranty because mine was needing to be charged by noon everyday - they said that is not normal and something is wrong with the BATTERY, not the phone. Just a thought.

My battery was initially crap after the update, but I've done everything suggested (cache clear, cycle the battery, smart actions) and now I'm getting EXCELLENT life out of it - I can easily go all day without charging it and just charge it up every night.

deduct

Reaction score
intmd8r said:
I don't know how old y'alls phones/batteries are, but I just wanted to mention that batteries DO wear out and you will get less out of them over time. I was able to get a new battery for free from Verizon via warranty because mine was needing to be charged by noon everyday - they said that is not normal and something is wrong with the BATTERY, not the phone. Just a thought.

My battery was initially crap after the update, but I've done everything suggested (cache clear, cycle the battery, smart actions) and now I'm getting EXCELLENT life out of it - I can easily go all day without charging it and just charge it up every night.

Exactly. My extended battery is over a year old now and is not lasting as long as it used too. Batteries do wear out

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. My extended battery is over a year old now and is not lasting as long as it used too. Batteries do wear out

Now there is an idea.

Indeed. It might be worth getting another extended battery.

Trying Juicedefender in earnest. Will report back. JD includes a lot of what are now called "Smart Actions," but periodically turns the radios on and off to save battery. I was told that it may not work, but if it looks like it's working I may buy the full version. I'll let people know.

I got Juice Defender Ultimate back when I had my OG Droid. Toward the end I had it turned off as I didn't see much of a difference. With the Bionic on GB I thought I saw a difference.

That being said, JD worked the first day after the ICS update and then wouldn't start on bootup. When I opened the app and scrolled down to the log it said that the ASOP Helper was either missing or outdated and that regular install not possible for Android 2.3+ (GB) and they would attempt a force install of ASOP Helper. If it worked, fine, if not no JD. I tried the boot workaround that they suggested. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app. The last time the app was updated was December 2011.

Yesterday I opened the app again and it worked. Go fig.

Last edited:

galactichero

Reaction score
Ockham's (or Akkam's) razor: the battery worked before the update, why would it not work after the update? It assumes an awful lot to imagine that all 5 of my batteries went bad on the same day as the update.

jrouss

Reaction score
Me too but, it went away

I haven't read through all the posts so if this is a re-post I apologize. I too had very poor battery results after the update. In my case I had to double check some email account settings and reset them. I believe my phone was constantly checking for new email. Once I did that my battery life is pretty close to normal.

cool318

Reaction score
Got 15 hours out of my phone today.

Little to no use, No Twitter or FB running.

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
I found that a camera app (Camera360) used 17% battery even when not being used. Apparently it's fired up and constantly checking to see if you want to take a picture, to eliminate any delay. Only cure seemed to be to uninstall it. No big loss, doesn't focus any better than the native app.

galactichero

Reaction score
I haven't read through all the posts so if this is a re-post I apologize. I too had very poor battery results after the update. In my case I had to double check some email account settings and reset them. I believe my phone was constantly checking for new email. Once I did that my battery life is pretty close to normal.
Turns out the default for non-gmail accounts is a "push" setting that checks constantly. You can change this in the account settings, but it means you will take at least 15 minutes to get an email. Longer if the radio happens to be off with juicedefender or for some other reason when the phone tries to pull.

Juicedefender seems to have me getting 12 plus hours of light use, which is not great, but grudgingly adequate. If I ever need to read or watch a movie to entertain myself, I am screwed, which still annoys me.