"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

Psychlone

Reaction score
I've had mine since the minute the Verizon store opened up (first kid in my area code to get the Bionic!), and I've had GREAT luck with my battery so far - but I suspect that just like my previous phone, the OG Droid, there's a few settings that will really help extend the battery life.

If someone could come up with a standardized list of settings that we all have, then it would be easy to see what each of us has turned on and turned off, followed by a day's worth (or more) testing to show how our settings are affecting our phone's battery life... This is exactly what we need.

I personally have 4G disabled (I'm not in a 4G area, so no sense in having it search for an LTE network that doesn't exist)
My Brightness is set to minimum instead of Auto
I turn off Background Data when I'm not using the market
Google Location Services is DISABLED
Standalone GPS Services is ENABLED
VZW Location Services is ENABLED

Little things like sharing pic location, GPS location tagging, etc. is all turned off.
10:00pm to 8:00am is set as Off-Peak hours in Custom Battery Saver
Turn Off Data After 15 minutes
Peak Hours Data is set to Always On

30 seconds timeout on my display

I'm getting a little over 24 hours after 4 days of these settings with what I consider moderate usage (2 hours of phone calls, 30 texts (inc. vid/pix), 20 minutes of random browsing, and a good 15 minutes of specific apps (WiFi Analyzer, Network Info II, etc. - I run a computer repair business)

Any takers on creating a standardized list of settings? I'd LOVE to see what others are doing and how long your battery lasts!!

sbodell

Reaction score
Got mine two days ago. Switched from Atrix and the battery life on this is 2x better.

scdown

Reaction score
I've been running 4G only for the last few days, as having WiFi enabled also seems to drain much faster, as others have posted.

Using the standard battery, minimum brightness, I made about 90 minutes of phone calls, with a few speedtests, a couple short (10 minutes or so) games, some light web browsing, a little Facebook, and light e-mail.

Last week when I did that, just shy of 16 hours (15:55) took me all the way to zero.

Yesterday, I installed LauncherPro Plus, and ran a similar usage pattern. 15:55 has taken me to 32%.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I've been running 4G only for the last few days, as having WiFi enabled also seems to drain much faster, as others have posted.

Using the standard battery, minimum brightness, I made about 90 minutes of phone calls, with a few speedtests, a couple short (10 minutes or so) games, some light web browsing, a little Facebook, and light e-mail.

Last week when I did that, just shy of 16 hours (15:55) took me all the way to zero.

Yesterday, I installed LauncherPro Plus, and ran a similar usage pattern. 15:55 has taken me to 32%.

I'm sure the pretty animations in the stock launcher do take their toll on my batter.. but personally I really like them!

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
I've had my phone since release day and use very similar settings as most people on here. However with less than 30 minutes of phone calls, very little internet and just sending 100ish texts, i wear my phone down completely in around 8 or so hours. Compared to the 15 hours+ I'm seeing from others, something is obviously wrong. Should I just request a replacement battery? Suggestions??

obsquacious

Reaction score
Im coming up on two hours of streaming from tunein, and playing on my blutooth headset... so far im down to about 20%... that doesn't seem too bad, does it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mdroid2g

Reaction score
I get 8 or 9 hours of use from my battery. Thats with about 4 hours of heavy browsing, 30 minutes of streaming video, maybe 5 minutes a phone call and maybe 50 texts. I have not went through and shut all the option off. My screen is usually on auto. Last night I was trying to kill my battery by browsing and it was in the red for about 20 minutes so I decided to stream netflix and it took over 30 minutes for to finally shut off. I'm very pleased with this battery life specially compared to the thunderbolt, I would get about an hour and half with thunderbolt with light browsing and 2 or 3 random restarts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pikes

Reaction score
Barely used my phone all morning except viewing some RSS feeds on it. About 4 hours in today and down to 60% (using extended battery). 42% cell standby, 40% phone idle.

:icon_evil:

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I got 17 hours last night and had 40% left. I dont use my phone much at all though. Total screen on time was a little over 1 hour.

Like I said before, use the battery profile to shut off data after a certain time period if you dont absolutely need push notifications right away. It saves MASSIVE battery.

MacDuffie

Reaction score
I thought my battery life was pretty good. Then last night I decided not to charge it overnight, as it was at 90 percent when I went to bed. I even put it in airplane mode.

This morning it would not turn on without removing the battery first (same thing happened when I put it in sleep mode) and when it came on it was at 30 percent!

alboboy10

Reaction score
I thought my battery life was pretty good. Then last night I decided not to charge it overnight, as it was at 90 percent when I went to bed. I even put it in airplane mode.

This morning it would not turn on without removing the battery first (same thing happened when I put it in sleep mode) and when it came on it was at 30 percent!

Might be reading battery wrong. My girlfriends atrix does that sometimes. She restarts it and it shows 100% after like five hours of it being on. Then after a while the battery goes back down. Should be fixed with an update I think.

The tb has problems reading battery as well. In this case though it drains. For example when I had extended battery on and I used my phone heavy it only lost 1% after half hour of use. But then when I shut off my screen and turn it in half hour later it lost 10%. The battery reading catches up with the actual battery percentage...or something like that. I read it somewhere in the forum.

MacDuffie

Reaction score
Possible - though it is charging and the numbers are going up as I expected. I was actually wondering if it was because it was hung - if somehow that was draining the battery.

papapena25

Reaction score
With the regular battery in my Bionic I'm getting about the same battery life as my droid x with extended battery. I do have the extended battery for my bionic, I charged it last night and started using it at about 8pm till 11pm (playing games), woke up this morning at 7am used it to play music through bluetooth for about 2 hours. Then started playing a few games at 9:30am till about ten min. ago. It's now 12:30pm and I'm at 50%. This is the first charge for the extended battery and i'm trying to run it down all the way then recharge, I have a battery calibrator app. Those apps realy work. Last night when I fist put the extended battery in to charge I left the phone off till about 50% I then turned it on and no more then 10 min later it was fullly charged (or at least said it was). I guess this is because of the memory file in the was used to the original battery. So I rooted my phone downloaded the battery calibrator app i used in my droid x and follow the instruction's. I would suggest a calibrator app to anyone switching from the original battery to extended. It may have calibrated right on its own if I would have left my phone off till fully charged. But I don't know for sure.

segdoh49

Reaction score
Mine was doing really good until I started adding more Apps. I don't know for sure but it seems to be draing the battery more now. I'll have to run some more testing and see if I can find just which app is causing the drain if I can. Any thought on this.....