Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

J

Johnly

I like and use them both. I prefer the physical when filling out several fields on a web page. It's just a bonus right, what can be wrong with having more? There are a ton of pros. I think not having to slide it out when I am doing something quick is equally stunning. I am a true fanboi.

weezy352

Reaction score
i like having the keyboard as a backup plan but the actual screen is very responsive. only downfall is the top row is way to close to the slider and its ever worst when u have a case on the phone....other than that its nice to have both options

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I stopped by the Verizon kiosk at my local mall earlier, and had the opportunity to get a brief hands-on with the device. I'm looking to pick one up this Christmas, and the last thing I needed to do to secure my desire for the device was to see for myself how it felt, and how the slider and keyboard were.

Honestly, I guess I'm confused as to why so many people are throwing fits over the keyboard. I used it, and I loved it. It was actually pretty humorous when I did so... Initially, I stopped at Best Buy. They had a non-functioning unit there. I didn't realize at the time that it was a dummy unit, so when there was NO budging in the keys at all, I started sympathizing with people were didn't care for the keyboard. When I went to the Verizon kiosk and actually played around with a real, working unit, I couldn't keep myself from laughing. The keyboard was wonderful! It was easy to type on, and very comfortable. The slider was wonderful as well.

In all fairness, anything is a relative gain for me, though. I'm currently with a razr v3m, and with the exception of a brief period with the W755 (worst phone ever, I might add), it's all that I've ever used. So, coming from a dumb phone to a smart phone, I guess I probably have lower expectations for a keyboard than other smart phone users.

All-in-all though, I absolutely loved the keyboard when I had a chance to play around with the device today. It was the last worry I had in considering purchasing the phone, but no longer must I fear a bad keyboard. :)

IAmAPhoenix

Reaction score
I stopped by the Verizon kiosk at my local mall earlier, and had the opportunity to get a brief hands-on with the device. I'm looking to pick one up this Christmas, and the last thing I needed to do to secure my desire for the device was to see for myself how it felt, and how the slider and keyboard were.

Honestly, I guess I'm confused as to why so many people are throwing fits over the keyboard. I used it, and I loved it. It was actually pretty humorous when I did so... Initially, I stopped at Best Buy. They had a non-functioning unit there. I didn't realize at the time that it was a dummy unit, so when there was NO budging in the keys at all, I started sympathizing with people were didn't care for the keyboard. When I went to the Verizon kiosk and actually played around with a real, working unit, I couldn't keep myself from laughing. The keyboard was wonderful! It was easy to type on, and very comfortable. The slider was wonderful as well.

In all fairness, anything is a relative gain for me, though. I'm currently with a razr v3m, and with the exception of a brief period with the W755 (worst phone ever, I might add), it's all that I've ever used. So, coming from a dumb phone to a smart phone, I guess I probably have lower expectations for a keyboard than other smart phone users.

All-in-all though, I absolutely loved the keyboard when I had a chance to play around with the device today. It was the last worry I had in considering purchasing the phone, but no longer must I fear a bad keyboard. :)

I also like the keyboard but I like the virtual landscape keyboard more because I can type faster with it and it also provides suggestions of the word you are typing which is nice. That is pretty much the only keyboard I use and you might feel the same way once you purchase yours. The phone is awesome, so I'm sure you will enjoy it once you get yours.

dean.collins

Reaction score
compared to what

compared to an iphone - yep the keyboard is great.
compared to a htc, the keyboard is crap.

even with the crap keyboard the os is still better than anything from htc so i would still make the same choice again. BUT.... I fully expect the next version to have a much different keyboard with convex keys instead of concave.

basically i bought my handset on a 1year plan (costs you $40 more) for that very reason.

LordKastle

Reaction score
crap?

Every HTC keyboard I see looks like a child's toy. Kudos to Motorola.

The sleek look is what keeps the phone stealth...there is a reason why most would prefer a virtual keyboard over some blocky button clunkfest.

If there ever is a Droid v2 and it has a physical keyboard...if they make changes to make the buttons any bigger then I will immediately cancel it off my items to buy. just my opinion of course.

Also when you buy it at one 1 year price it costs 100 dollars more. Go to Verizon.com and check for yourself.. Not like the 60 matters but why give false info?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I like and use them both. I prefer the physical when filling out several fields on a web page. It's just a bonus right, what can be wrong with having more? There are a ton of pros. I think not having to slide it out when I am doing something quick is equally stunning. I am a true fanboi.
I agree..having a keyboard is just another bonus.

Everybody keeps calling it a slider keyboard but it's not. The screen is the slider.

If you break down the mechanics of it you are actually sliding the home screen up not pulling the keyboard out. The keyboard and most of the internals are not moving at all. The screen is whats moving.....

So from this point on I will say there is not a slide out keyboard : )

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I agree..having a keyboard is just another bonus.

Everybody keeps calling it a slider keyboard but it's not. The screen is the slider.

If you break down the mechanics of it you are actually sliding the home screen up not pulling the keyboard out. The keyboard and most of the internals are not moving at all. The screen is whats moving.....

So from this point on I will say there is not a slide out keyboard : )

Thats not true at all! If I hold my screen still, I can pull my keyboard out from under it :p By this interpretation, the phone itself has moved, not the screen :)

But in all seriousness, the keyboard isn't perfect. It could be better but between using this and the virtual keyboard I find myself in a comfortable place.

ociopia

Reaction score
I like the physical keyboard. It is pretty good. Not the best - I believe it could be better - but it is great compared to not having one at all. What shocks me is how good the touch keyboard is. I could never type on my iphone without jillions of mistakes and the Droid touch keyboard is so much easier. Hard to say why. I don't know why. But it is. It is great to have both.

jarhead995

Reaction score
The keyboard isn't bad, but its not as good as the voyager plus whats with the material?

daddyd302

Reaction score
Looks very cheap and looks like they rushed the design. I haven't really used it and I don't like it. It always looks like it's coming off and wasn't glued in properly. That or I got a bad one.

yoopermjm

Reaction score
I didn't think I'd ever be able to type on it, but amazingly I've either suddenly gotten much better or the 2.0.1 update vastly improved it. Maybe both. Whatever happened, my single greatest beef has been resolved.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Daddy have you seen every physical keyboard on the market? Cheap looking? This is the most sleek and stealth looking keyboard you will find on the market.

Cheap is what every other physical keyboard looks like...big blocky clunky buttons that belong on a toddler's toy. This is why if it wasn't for the Droid, I would no doubt refrain from getting a phone with a keyboard.

J-Buck

Reaction score
lol i dont get why people say it looks cheap... i have a blackberry curve and the keys r plastic and "cheap" thats how cell phone keyboards r supposed to be. if u can't adapt just continue to use a computer

TreyTreyTaylor

Reaction score
its the best

how could u complain :icon_ nono2:. this makes the droid a dedicated gaming device by itself. imagine how many people would ***** about it if it wasn't there. wait till the psx and n64 emulators come out. bet the keyboard wont be too flat then when your mashing the damn thing :icon_rolleyes:.