Droid vs Eris

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know...with the Droid, you're not forced to pay for stupid subscriptions to things you may need....like you CAN use the Verizon Visual Voicemail that comes with the phone if you wanna pay a monthly fee...OR you can just download a free visual voicemail from the Market... :)

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
well now, you guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks alot, made my decision easier............... going to the moto............... been trying to save tips from work evry day to help pay for it....... so far its looking good!

Silver Member
Reaction score
let me throw this out there for you Eris lovers, whatever...

i had the HTC touch in black. with the black rubberized paint. it's basically an idential layout. two buttons at the bottom, a way to navigate.. etc., etc.

the case is junk. HTC's quality control is questionable. the internals of my touch seemed to withstand the abuse i gave it, but everything you actually touch wore out, fell off, chipped, scratched or peeled.

the white HTC touch was worse, but as a direct comparison, the rubberized paint is a joke.

the N1 feels alot nicer. it's teflon coated and has various other goodies that make it attractive, but i still question HTC's quality control.

Newps

Reaction score
No, meaning that the UI is more refined and complete with Sense.

Never understood that. I have the Droid and my wife has the Eris. The Droid is faster, the Eris has terrible battery life. So much so that I got her the 3500 extended battery. I don't get the fascination with the Sense UI, I much prefer the Droid.

mattygabe

Reaction score
No not at all....
Let me try to set you stright here, Both of these phones run the android os and verizon has not touched either of these devices interface or app wise. VZ navigator or any verizon app is not going to work on these phones the verizon apps are for the dumb phones you could say. Since both these phones run android your apps and games are basicly almost going to be the same on both because they both pull from the same android marketplace. Now if your looking for a phone thats going to survive a fall the droid does well i think i read on here someone droped theirs from a balcony and it survived with no case on the keyboard was a littel messed up if i remember right. Basicly im going to sugest the droid for you.
Not entirely true. Verizon does have the Visual Voicemail app for Android, but most of their proprietary pay apps for other "dumbphones" will not be found, as you correctly stated VZNavigator is one of them.

You know i knew someone was gona mention that but i decided not to say anything about it guess i should have lolz but i didn't because its more of basicly a glorified bookmark ^_^ but good catch. I also want to say when i say "Dumb Phone" i don't mean it disrespectfully its just what i call all non smart phones.
Haha, yeah no no offense taken. It is somewhat derogatory, and when you consider what these small small devices can do they're not dumb at all, just not as "smart" as the phones that can browse the web and check email, etc. My fiance actually just got a dumbphone, and when I referred to it as such she quickly quipped, "It's not dumb at all... I like it."

r-dubya

Reaction score
I'm tough on phones. The droid has withstood every attempt i have made to break it. I have dropped it getting out of a car, accidentally threw it, and dropped it while walking multiple times. It is a beast of a phone. One recommendation however, BUY AN AFTERMARKET "SKIN" FOR YOUR PHONE. There are tons of choices out there, i went with "Invisishield". Just google them, chances are you even have a local retailer working at a mall nearby that will even install it. There are other companies out there, no matter which one you chose, just BUY ONE. It has keep my droid scratch free and looking like new even after the abuse.

cuskit

Reaction score
Motorola makes the most rugged phone out there. Mine gets really beat on every day - keeps coming back for more! My old Razr also handled most of my "abuse" rather well. :) mike

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
Talking with ppl recently here in my area that have it... they say they love it and with this forum i think i am going with the Moto Droid. i am about 30 or so dollars away from getting it and that is with saving tips (as a bartender and server) taking half or so and putting it towards a new phone. with 8 days left i will have enough for my phone and a shield, and probably a case for it too (so i don't drop it too much).......... will stay on here even after i have it..... thanks guys for the help....

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Damn decisions decisions...... So basically I need the navigator so it looks like I will have to getthe moto

trust me its a good choice. i was worried about switching from my last phone that had vz navigator to using google nav but im glad i did. google nav blows vz navigator out of the water

Ditto.. I used VZ navigator on my old LG Voyager but their is no comparison with Googles navigator. I didnt like the look of th droid when it came out, but it grows on you and you do get used to it and I like mine alot :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm tough on phones. The droid has withstood every attempt i have made to break it. I have dropped it getting out of a car, accidentally threw it, and dropped it while walking multiple times. It is a beast of a phone. One recommendation however, BUY AN AFTERMARKET "SKIN" FOR YOUR PHONE. There are tons of choices out there, i went with "Invisishield". Just google them, chances are you even have a local retailer working at a mall nearby that will even install it. There are other companies out there, no matter which one you chose, just BUY ONE. It has keep my droid scratch free and looking like new even after the abuse.

I really hope you dont borrow alot of phones from other people :p j/k

OP
drivinfocused

drivinfocused

Reaction score
well to bring up an older thread that i started when i was new(er) . and i jumped up on the wagon, and i bought the Moto Droid....... and so far LOVE it. kinda hard to get used to coming from a non moto user ever.......

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I have had both phones. I started with the eris because I only really use the touch screen. The UI is great, the phone is small and light. I tried it for a month and on the last day decided to go into the store and look at the droid again before committing for a year. After an hour or so I paid the restock fee and got the droid, I can say for me I am very glad I did. Other than the UI and small size i like more about the eris than the droid. My droid gets better reception than the eris, the screen is MUCH better on the droid, and the speed/power of the droid is very noticeable.

There were 2 reasons I decided to switch. The 1st one is the eris just seemed slow to me. Switching screens, bringing up contacts, opening applications, everything. It was just slow, that .5 sec delay with everything you do just gets to you after a while. With the droid there is none of that. The second reason (probably stupid to most people) is that I get a lot of text messages. For some reason if i received a text longer than the 160+ characters on the eris the person who sent it (also on verizon) would get an error saying that my phone did not support EMS and the messaged had to be altered. I would still get it, however they would get a "spam" error text back every time they sent one. I went into VZW and they told me it had to do with the network and how that phone interacted with it and there was nothing that could be done. After some google research it apparently is a known issue for many people.

Anyway, with the droid that doesnt happen. Overall its a great phone, the eris is too. If you are a powerhog who cant deal with delays when opening/closing or changing screens get the droid. If you dont mind a full touch screen and a little lag the eris is also a great choice.