Droid vs Eris

dafischman

Reaction score
What are you going to use your phone for? I have the Droid, the wifey has the Eris. I love the form factor of the Eris, and if it had the power of the Droid, I'd be hard pressed not to dump the droid for it. I rarely use the keyboard, and I really like the size of the Eris.

The Droid is a power user type of phone. If you are going to be surfing the interenet, doing lots of data stuff, games, other apps, then the Droid is what you want. If you want a cool phone with the ability to do apps and games, but not as the primary function then the Eris likely will meet your needs.

In regards to durability I see it 2 ways. The Droid is a beefy phone that seems like it'll take a beating and keep ticking, however I do have concerns about the slider keyboard that has seemed to get more wiggly since I've had the phone. On the other hand the Eris is more plasticy, but due to the lack of moving parts and it's lightness I think it could take a bit of dropping and the such without being very affected. My fiance has always been clumsy with her phones and it's stood up to her abuse so far.

Reaction score
As everyone Else said, The droid is like big brother and the Eris is its little brother. It can do everything the droid does just not as fast.

Yes, in the Moto droid the CPU is better,quicker and has proven to be overclocked past twice the speed of the Iphone 3gs (and that is dumb fast) If your a real tech head and want a phone that will not disappoint the droid is the viable choice. But if you just want a phone to do the basics and you don't care for the techy go for the eris.

The other day my best man asked to borrow my phone. so i said "sure" and threw the phone to him. It slipped and hit the wall with reasonable force. He said "Jesus Christ livi" lookes, picks up the phone and sais "Theres no scraches? Wtf? i wanna see you do that with an Iphone. God, it even feels tough"

*That my friend is built Droid Tough*

If you want that Tank with the best of the best the droid is for you. But if you don't care for the specs the eris is cool too.

Oh and don't worry about the feel, it will feel odd for a week but yull get used to it and totally forget that it bothered you, i can promise that.

bllarkin

Reaction score
Right now the Eris doesn't have a GPS, but it will once the 2.1 update rolls around (probably March).

I think you mean Google Maps navigation. The Eris does have a GPS built in, it just doesn't have the Google navigation.

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
DON'T GET A PRE OR PIXI PLUS. DON'T. A droid is probably yur best bet if yur looking for a clean fast cool phone. Eris is better for people that aren't looking for as many features on their phone. Either way they are both good phones, but don't get the pre plus or pixi plus!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Right now the Eris doesn't have a GPS, but it will once the 2.1 update rolls around (probably March).

I think you mean Google Maps navigation. The Eris does have a GPS built in, it just doesn't have the Google navigation.

So it's the vz navigator?

No not at all....
Let me try to set you stright here, Both of these phones run the android os and verizon has not touched either of these devices interface or app wise. VZ navigator or any verizon app is not going to work on these phones the verizon apps are for the dumb phones you could say. Since both these phones run android your apps and games are basicly almost going to be the same on both because they both pull from the same android marketplace. Now if your looking for a phone thats going to survive a fall the droid does well i think i read on here someone droped theirs from a balcony and it survived with no case on the keyboard was a littel messed up if i remember right. Basicly im going to sugest the droid for you.

mattygabe

Reaction score

I don't believe VZN is even offered for the Android platform. You'd have to wait for the Android 2.0, which I haven't heard is even in the immediate future for the Eris. The Motorola currently runs Android 2.0.1, with an update going to 2.1 soon. The Eris currently runs Android 1.6, and there are hardware-compatibility issues HTC still hasn't addressed with the Eris, but they eventually will, which will enable Google Maps Navigation.

mattygabe

Reaction score

No not at all....
Let me try to set you stright here, Both of these phones run the android os and verizon has not touched either of these devices interface or app wise. VZ navigator or any verizon app is not going to work on these phones the verizon apps are for the dumb phones you could say. Since both these phones run android your apps and games are basicly almost going to be the same on both because they both pull from the same android marketplace. Now if your looking for a phone thats going to survive a fall the droid does well i think i read on here someone droped theirs from a balcony and it survived with no case on the keyboard was a littel messed up if i remember right. Basicly im going to sugest the droid for you.
Not entirely true. Verizon does have the Visual Voicemail app for Android, but most of their proprietary pay apps for other "dumbphones" will not be found, as you correctly stated VZNavigator is one of them.

Reaction score

No not at all....
Not entirely true. Verizon does have the Visual Voicemail app for Android, but most of their proprietary pay apps for other "dumbphones" will not be found, as you correctly stated VZNavigator is one of them.

You know i knew someone was gona mention that but i decided not to say anything about it guess i should have lolz but i didn't because its more of basicly a glorified bookmark ^_^ but good catch. I also want to say when i say "Dumb Phone" i don't mean it disrespectfully its just what i call all non smart phones.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
Damn decisions decisions...... So basically I need the navigator so it looks like I will have to getthe moto

trust me its a good choice. i was worried about switching from my last phone that had vz navigator to using google nav but im glad i did. google nav blows vz navigator out of the water

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah the VZ Navigator is NO WHERE NEAR what Google Navigation is...NOT EVEN CLOSE

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
yea and i used to think it was really good for being a phone navigator but google nav is just great. plus now i dont waste 9.99 a month for the subscription