Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yeah the d-pad is essential for gaming related items even though I don't happen to use it much.

The keyboard is all about feel, just like any activity in life from driving, hitting a fastball, shooting a free throw (anything timing and touch based)... once you get the touch/feel/hang of it you'll be fine. I prefer the physical keyboard on the Droid over any type of virtual keyboard. It's also very stealthy and sleek...unlike most. It doesn't remind you of a 7 year old's toy with huge block buttons.

There was a post when someone was suggesting a game developer should add on screen controls because the d-pad felt too stiff. Now while I don't play many games on my Droid, hearing that the d-pad was too stiff and that on screen controls were needed made me laugh. Don't take offense (whoever said it) but the screen has no give.

The physical keyboard allows for the many limitations of touchscreen only phones to be surpassed.

icecold

Reaction score
I love the keyboard. I'm a big man with large hands and big ol' fingers...but I'm also coming over to Droid from Crackberry. The Blackberry Curve 8330 was cool, and I got used to those tiny "far from flat" buttons...but I have to say I'll take bigger and flat buttons over tiny and not flat buttons.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I love the keyboard. I'm a big man with large hands and big ol' fingers...but I'm also coming over to Droid from Crackberry. The Blackberry Curve 8330 was cool, and I got used to those tiny "far from flat" buttons...but I have to say I'll take bigger and flat buttons over tiny and not flat buttons.

My biggest con about the DROID keyboard is the extra space to the right of the keyboard. It offsets the keyboard and my short thumbs make it difficult to reach all the keys I need to type with using my right hand.

I could definitely get used to it, but as long as the virtual keyboard stays convenient for me, I'll probably just use that for now.

db83

Reaction score

My biggest con about the DROID keyboard is the extra space to the right of the keyboard. It offsets the keyboard and my short thumbs make it difficult to reach all the keys I need to type with using my right hand.

I could definitely get used to it, but as long as the virtual keyboard stays convenient for me, I'll probably just use that for now.

I have the exact same problem. I feel like I'm stretching my hand and/or digging the phone into my right hand when I'm typing. Also, I don't really like having the numbers where they are, and where you have to press alt to access them.

I must say: I like the idea of the physical keyboard, but do not really like the Droid's keyboard. It could be the main reason I return it. (The other being the possibility of a HTC Passion soon)

Other than that, I'm really liking the phone so far.

jerry1847

Reaction score
I hate it, Iphone keypad was much better. The Droid seems to be slow and misses keys when i type fast. The predictive text is also crap and doesnt learn as quickly as the iphone.

The slideout is almost worthless to type quickly on. def awesome to go in landscape and be able to see the entire screen. the holding down alt for numbers sucks also.

Improving the predictive text is my first request.

G

gatewayad

I'm not sure if I mentioned this previously in this thread or another but i'm usng a home replacement app (now Home++) and havent opened the keyboard up (except to look at it) HA! in the last 2+ weeks, the home replacement apps do have the ability to rotate when closed thus no need to open for a keyboard

LordKastle

Reaction score
Sorry the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard and the speed and rate of typing cannot be matched when comparing an iPhone and a Droid's physical keyboard. If you want to text legitimate messages (not "Wat r u up2") or edit documents you should not be using a virtual keypad...period.

Maybe some people just have poor hand/eye coordination..I really don't get it.

I've never seen more abbreviations used than from people who send out texts from iPhone's. I'm shocked business users actually use the iPhone for business. Maybe the apps are okay but beyond that it most likely has to do with having a mid-life crisis and trying to seem cool and trendy. Then again thats why Blackberry owns the business market of phone hardware...currently.

Besides this this..a little off topic. I wonder how many iPhone users have actually own Apple hardware when it comes to desktops or laptops. I would say the majority do not. Seems like a compensation is being made by many. For whatever reason a lot of people have Apple Envy when it comes to computers.... so when they get an iPhone they get to rejoice. It's funny.

tmac12

Reaction score
Just got a droid today and I have no problem with the virtual keyboard or the slide out. Both are good in my opinion.

wreckerbabe

Reaction score
I've only been using the phone for two days. I prefer the slide out keyboard. I've never had one so I think it will just take some getting used to. The virtual one is ok, but I find I can only use one finger or I get a lot of mistakes.

lkgmadmax

Reaction score
The keyboard is a poor design, I liked the raised rounded keys on my HTC PPC6800 better, it also had a more realistic full function keyboard layout as well. More work needs to be done on the Droid keyboard, it looks like it was a last minute addition to the Droid with little thought put into it and and no proto type testing. Keyboard testing with user feed back should have been put into the development process on this phone.

Big Lou

Reaction score
I think the keyboard on the Droid is great! The D-pad is essential for me, it's one of the reasons I got the Droid over the Eris.

imiller913

Reaction score
I think the keyboards are fine I don't use the phy kb too often but when I do it does what it is supposed to

Randomocity

Reaction score
I love, love, love the physical keyboard. Its a big factor in why i bought the phone in the first place. It is a little flat and isnt quite up there with my bold, but overall its fast and accurate, and i really enjoy it.

praeceps

Reaction score
IMHO, I think that most people who rate the keyboard quite lowly are beings critics. What I mean by that is that theiir standarda are beyond what's physically pssobile and they'll only give a 10/10 to something that's flat out jaw droppingly amaIng and likely physically impossible. I don't think it's perfect, but it's pretty good. I got used to it in 3 days, which is totally reasonable. In reality, if it had a better keyboard, the phone would be too large and we'd complaining about that instead. I do like the touch screen. I think the touchscreen needs some working because it's heat based. If I use it with my fretting hand(I play guitar) my calouses do get in the way. All in all, it's good. They fit an okay keyboard in an impossibly small space and managed to. Make it usable and easy to get used to.