Touch or Physical Keyboard?

atmcgill97

Reaction score
I was wondering what all of you perfer, touch keyboards or real keyboards.

In, my opinion, I like touch. Physical keyboards add a lot of weight. They also make the phone thicker. And having a phyisical keyboard limits the types of cases you can have. Plus, touch keyboards are getting easier to use with the bigger screens.

But thats just my opinion.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I had a physical keyboard with my last phone because it only had the 9 digit type texting or the physical keyboard and of course the Qwerty keyboard was MUCH better.
Now that I've had my Droid 1 for almost a year, I don't use my physical keyboard much. Although I do use it enough to like it. And would prefer it in my next phone if possible.
Yes there's weight, but it doesn't bother me, too much.

Oh so my vote.... physical keyboard wanted.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I jumped onto the Dare in 08 and haven't looked back. The enV1 qwerty just was not working with my big fingers so I upgraded to a Dare.
Add in my slider keyboard and I'm in heaven. I got SlideIt for my Omnia in 09 so I was already lovin'the slider when I got my Inc.
Touch for me especially with Ultra Keyboard.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Physical - I'm about to die because it's beginning to look like none of the really cool phones due for release are going to have a physical keyboard. I may have to learn to do without! :icon_evil:

shaneo40

Reaction score
Definitely like touch better than physical. I have had my droid 1 for a year now. I like to type with one hand. So it's Swype for me. The most I use the physical keyboard for, is to habitually open and close it while it's in my pocket.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

butterfras

Reaction score
I had two windows mobile phones with keyboards and one withouth, then the original droid and now the Incredible. I would say I prefer the touch keyboard, especially with Android since you can get whatever you want. I use Smart Keyboard Pro and I love all the customization. You just can't get that with a physical keyboard. Also, I really don't like the cramped portrait keyboards under the screen a la blackberry/droid pro. If you're going to put a keyboard on the thing, make it a landscape slider.

My Vote: Touch.

volando

Reaction score
Physical keyboard all the way. You can actually touch type fast and well on it. End of argument.

(BayouFlyFisher: D3 is likely going to be the next modern phone to have it... so waiting till august it is!)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what all of you perfer, touch keyboards or real keyboards.
I don't blindly prefer one or the other. I prefer a good physical keyboard or a good touch keyboard app. I personally wouldn't consider either of the stock keyboards on my Droid to be good.

Physical keyboards add a lot of weight.
Citation? I've picked up a lot of smartphones without physical keyboards that aren't drastically lighter than their counterparts.

Last edited:
OP
atmcgill97

atmcgill97

Reaction score
Physical keyboards add a lot of weight.
Citation? I've picked up a lot of smartphones without physical keyboards that aren't drastically lighter than their counterparts.[/QUOTE]
Ya, youre right. I was really only thinking of the difference between a droid 2 and an incredible.

ArtieD

Reaction score
There really is no contest: the virtual keyboard wins hands down, with the proviso that you have to use Swype.

First, the problems with physical keyboards:
1. They only work in landscape mode, so for starters you have to rotate the phone.
2. You have to flip or slide out the keyboard which another time and effort waster
3. You have to use two hands
4. They add thickness and weight to the phone

Now, why Swype:
1. With a little practice you will type much faster with Swype than any other method
2. It works great in portrait mode. I'll admit it's not so good in landscape mode, but you can still type individual letters there. But I never need to type in landscape mode.
3. It's very forgiving. That's the biggest virtue of Swype, it forgives you for over or under shooting your desired key.

Typing is a very important feature on smart phones and something most people will do a lot of. So it is mandatory that you put the effort into getting efficient at text entry. There is a Swype training video built into the phone, but you really need to go to the Swype web site and watch the extra videos and read the material there too. It's not hard, there are just some very useful features that you're not likely to figure out on your own. Here's a link to the Swype Tips and Tricks site:

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Last edited:

AlexSB

Reaction score
Yep touch wins. It just takes some time getting used to if your coming from physical keyboards

Liberated Droid II