Note 7 causes Southwest Flt 944 to evacuate its passengers

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
261e98dd565f5754d25eeefc866915a7.jpg

It seemed like just maybe Samsung may climb out of the hole that the Note 7 batteries have put them in. Replacements were going out with safer batteries and software to calm the fears about #batterygate. Yet here we are today and it looks like Samsung may not be out of the woods yet.

Southwest FLT 944 had to evacuate at the gate after a customer's Note 7 caught fire. What made the story intriguing is that this device may have been a replacement for the Note 7 with the bad batteries. This could really set Samsung back because if the replacement batteries are causing issues then we could see the public react in a negative way towards the Note 7 going forward.

Hopefully Samsung is able to get to the bottom of this.

Any of you with the replacement Note 7 notice any battery issues?

Source: Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Southwest reminded people before boarding and doing pre-flight to turn them off.

This is just crazy. I'd throw mine away if I bought one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Southwest reminded people before boarding and doing pre-flight to turn them off.

This is just crazy. I'd throw mine away if I bought one.

I personally do not have the money to be throwing a new phone away so an exchange or refund for sure.

But I get what you were hinting at.

Hopefully carriers do right by the customers if this continues to be a trend.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd be throwing it back where I bought it getting a refund.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was considering samsung phones in the beginning of the year, not anymore.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was considering samsung phones in the beginning of the year, not anymore.
The s7 edge is actually a good device and not many complaints about batteries catching fire. This is why I'm wondering if USBC is the culprit.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have flown 4 times since this started, twice on American and twice on Delta. To reiterate what Mustang stated...the airlines are making it very clear to turn these phones OFF before getting on the plane and absolutely no using them at all. There is no excuse for that passenger to use his / her phone and put other people at risk. Imagine if this happened at 35000 feet? Thank goodness they were still on the ground and no one was seriously injured.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
The article I read said he had turned the phone off and it was in his bag when it ignited. They had to move everyone to other flights because the plane's carpeting was damaged by the phone. He behaved just like he was asked, and the thing still went up in flames.

At this point, and I know this sucks for Samsung, but the entire Note 7 line should be pulled. If their replacement phones are still igniting, they don't know what the root cause is, and they should go back to the drawing board and start over.

I was on the fence between a Note 7 and Verizon or a Pixel and Project Fi... Between Samsung devices going out of control and the announcement yesterday from Google, I think I'll be going Pixel.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The article I read said he had turned the phone off and it was in his bag when it ignited. They had to move everyone to other flights because the plane's carpeting was damaged by the phone. He behaved just like he was asked, and the thing still went up in flames.

At this point, and I know this sucks for Samsung, but the entire Note 7 line should be pulled. If their replacement phones are still igniting, they don't know what the root cause is, and they should go back to the drawing board and start over.

I was on the fence between a Note 7 and Verizon or a Pixel and Project Fi... Between Samsung devices going out of control and the announcement yesterday from Google, I think I'll be going Pixel.
I read it was off too, but in his pocket. He tossed it on the floor as everyone evacuated and his friend returned to the plane later to get something he'd left behind and found the carpet burned.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Right from the article in the first post:

said that he had powered down the phone as requested by the flight crew and put it in his pocket when it began smoking.

It was supposed to be off before he ever got on the plane.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
He still complied with the request. Would it have caught fire in his pocket in the terminal instead of the plane & not ruined everyone's travel plans? Sure, but he still shut it down.

Sent from my Moto Z

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First it was Samsung phones. Now it’s exploding Samsung washing machines!

samsung-washer-exploded.png

Samsung is having a bad year!

Source: WashingtonPost

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Right from the article in the first post:

said that he had powered down the phone as requested by the flight crew and put it in his pocket when it began smoking.

It was supposed to be off before he ever got on the plane.

Southwest told us when we got on the plane to turn them off. There was also a bulletin in the APP and the ticket counter mentioned it but not enforced. It will be enforced all over now I bet they will check the phone make