Nook Color or Galaxy Tab for 299?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bump please... I might dive into the nook today. I'm sick so I'm stuck in bed but I might muster the energy to get up and buy one so I have something to do haha.

Also, does anyone know of a good site like this one to learn about the Nookcolor?

yeah i use both of these for mine.... i bought the nook color just as a e-reader for my girl then saw the potential then went out and bought one for myself to play with. Its now rooted and outscores the galaxy tab on both quadrant and linpack scores. Not to mention the nook color feels good in the hand unlike the cheap fragile feeling you get using a galaxy tab.

nookDevs

Barnes & Noble Nook Color - xda-developers

lol looks like BayouFlyFisher beat me to it but nothings better then a little bit of redundancy to get the point across....

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Wow thank you all so much for the responses. I think I'll drag my sick carcass out of bed for the first time in a couple of days and pull the trigger on the nook. I was worried that I might be buying it right before they release the nookcolor2, but apparently the NC has only been out for like 3 months?

patfactorx

Reaction score
Nook color feels and looks cheap

Tab has a data contract

I would say still go with the Nook tho since it has H comb

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score

Tab has a data contract

Is it Hcomb based off the SDK or from the Xoom system dump? And either way, any idea where I could find it? The only one I found while searching was an older one from the very beginning of Feb.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Tab has a data contract

Is it Hcomb based off the SDK or from the Xoom system dump? And either way, any idea where I could find it? The only one I found while searching was an older one from the very beginning of Feb.

Its based off the SDK.

lockman

Reaction score
Looks like a draw. I love my g tab, was going to get a nook but got a killer deal at verizon. Either one at these price points would be a good deal.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Tab has a data contract

have you ever held both the nook color and the galaxy tab side by side? from your answer i'm going to say no. The galaxy tab while its a good device is like all Samsung devices cheap and plasticy feeling and good luck ever getting any updates out of them. The nook color is like the droid its got some weight to it and feels solid. It also has a nice rubber coating on the back to keep it from sliding unlike the tab. The Nook color came out in November and its already received two official updates since. Unofortunatly it is still running 2.1 officially but that hasn't stopped people from loading froyo, gingerbread, and honeycomb on it.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score

Tab has a data contract

Its based off the SDK.

I'm sure it'll improve even more once HC hits AOSP. I just went out and bought one. Giddyup!

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Tab has a data contract

have you ever held both the nook color and the galaxy tab side by side? from your answer i'm going to say no. The galaxy tab while its a good device is like all Samsung devices cheap and plasticy feeling and good luck ever getting any updates out of them. The nook color is like the droid its got some weight to it and feels solid. It also has a nice rubber coating on the back to keep it from sliding unlike the tab. The Nook color came out in November and its already received two official updates since. Unofortunatly it is still running 2.1 officially but that hasn't stopped people from loading froyo, gingerbread, and honeycomb on it.

This is my thought too. When I read that post, I immediately took my NOOKcolor out of its case and tried to find what felt or looked cheap about it. I was wondering what cheapness I had missed. Turns out none.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a nook color a couple of days ago. I'm very happy with it. The modding process is a bit trickier than our droids, but manageable. I'm running phiremod beta 2 froyo until a honeycomb rom comes out. This thing is awesome

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Nice, I'm on CM7, and it's not perfect but it is still awesome. I'm really happy with the nook so far. I tried the honeycomb rom but it isn't ready for prime time yet. What are some cool things about phiremod? And do you know how to OC? I can't make it work.

The switching out of micro as cards to mid is annoying but manageable.

Sent from my NookColor using DroidForums App

Smolder

Reaction score
Nookcolor feels and looks cheap? You obviously have not held or used one.

Blayzejlm

Reaction score
So with the NC, does it have wifi web browsing right outta the box or is it just an e-reader till its rooted?