Poor Man's Tablet aka Nook Color Questions

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, or whether or not I should find another forum online for it. However, I have generally come to trust most of the frequent contributers on this site, so here it goes.

Unless you've been living under a rock *cue Geico commercial* you have undoubtedly heard of the Nook Color being touted as the "poor man's tablet", among other names, given it's easy root or dual-boot process. And indeed, for a $180 price tag (eBay) it's hard to argue with such claims.

My questions: How long will it stay relevant and useful...is it already far outdated? Or, will it stay in the spotlight for another year or so regardless of its "outdated" hardware by today's dual-core standards due to its price, making it extremely accessible to the masses?

In part, I suppose I'm asking what can tablets like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 do that a CM7 Nook Color cannot? Besides netflix and the selection of dual-core optimized games.

darkmatter

Reaction score
The nook color can do netflix easy.

I would say the nook color will remain relevant as long as the community supports it.

The d1 is only just now starting to decline, imo. The community kept it relevant far past what would have been expected. I think the cyanogen team dropping support for the d1 was the start of its decline. That's not to say there weren't fantastic roms after that, like sourcery 2.2, or even 2.3.5 ported to the d1.

I'm running phiremod 6.3 on my nook color. I plan to leave it at that until it gets a version of ice cream sandwich. ICS will really make the nook shine, imo. Able to be optimized for 7in screen, and supporting no physical keys.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
Tillmorn

Tillmorn

Reaction score
darkmatter- Thanks for the input. Those were more or less my thoughts after reading up on ICS the other day, and it's nice to know I'm not alone with those views.

tp76- You have successfully given me another website to spend an hour or two a day on! I'm not entirely sure I am happy about that...:icon_evil:

Here's a pint for the two of you :pint:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
tp76- You have successfully given me another website to spend an hour or two a day on! I'm not entirely sure I am happy about that...:icon_evil:

Here's a pint for the two of you :pint:

Either way, your welcome ;)

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The nook color can do netflix easy.

I would say the nook color will remain relevant as long as the community supports it.

The d1 is only just now starting to decline, imo. The community kept it relevant far past what would have been expected. I think the cyanogen team dropping support for the d1 was the start of its decline. That's not to say there weren't fantastic roms after that, like sourcery 2.2, or even 2.3.5 ported to the d1.

I'm running phiremod 6.3 on my nook color. I plan to leave it at that until it gets a version of ice cream sandwich. ICS will really make the nook shine, imo. Able to be optimized for 7in screen, and supporting no physical keys.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
... Im confused, since when did this happen? Cyanogen seems to supported still, scared me... My D1 is running cyanogen still. IMO i dont think D1 support is in decline.