galaxy tab or transformer prime?

jmcdonald

Reaction score
Finally about to jump in and buy a tablet. Mostly for my kids - I have a long car trip coming up and thought it would be good to keep them occupied in the car - movies, games, etc. I can tether with my Nexus free so I only need wifi-only versions and they can still do netflix. Thinking about either Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Transformer Prime. I don't want cheap tablets - I want to make sure they have all the right internals to make it a decent experience. I do NOT want an iPad and want opinions from actual tablet owners out there which one to go with. Thanks

bjorn65

Reaction score
Finally about to jump in and buy a tablet. Mostly for my kids - I have a long car trip coming up and thought it would be good to keep them occupied in the car - movies, games, etc. I can tether with my Nexus free so I only need wifi-only versions and they can still do netflix. Thinking about either Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Transformer Prime. I don't want cheap tablets - I want to make sure they have all the right internals to make it a decent experience. I do NOT want an iPad and want opinions from actual tablet owners out there which one to go with. Thanks

Go for the prime, its the best Android tablet and with keyboard can last 18 hours plus it has 5 processor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

huskur

Reaction score
I have the OG transformer and my 6 year old loves it! Wakes up in the morning, comes downstairs opens the library door and grabs it off my desk and he is doing his thing. Between him and my twin (almost 4 year old) girls, it gets used roughly 6-10 hours per day. My wifes ipad 2 is their second choice and thats only a last resort if the transformer is dead! LOL

Its also nice to have the docking station for the added battery life and for browsing the internet

kohl6189

Reaction score
I have the transformer prime and absolutely love it the gaming and video quality it awesome I recommend the prime

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score
I have not held/used a Transformer, only the Tab. We're also considering a tablet in the future. I like how thin and light the Tab is, how does the Transformer compare?

huskur

Reaction score
I have not held/used a Transformer, only the Tab. We're also considering a tablet in the future. I like how thin and light the Tab is, how does the Transformer compare?

These were the 2 tablets i was choosing from also. I gave the advantage to the transformer because though it is a little heavier I believe it is better constructed and can handle a little more abuse. I am happy with it and all my kids love it! Now, here is the #2 reason behind getting the transformer. Support. It is made by Asus and their customer support I am told is fantastic. (i haven't needed it so thats another plus) Also, Asus is on top of things. It was the first tablet to have ICS pushed to it

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Prime, and its a great tablet. I've only used the Tab at Best Buy, never got any real hands on time with it, but the Prime won't disappoint you. It does have the usual Android quirks like random rebooting and stuttering, but very minimal. Don't regret my purchase at all.

OP
J

jmcdonald

Reaction score
What about the reports of people who needed to get three or four Primes because of WiFi issues or dead pixels on the screen? Anyone experience any of that?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about the reports of people who needed to get three or four Primes because of WiFi issues or dead pixels on the screen? Anyone experience any of that?

I've seen all the complaints myself, and the only one that's true for me is the GPS. It sucks. If you're looking for a tablet that gives you great GPS, the Prime is not the one. I haven't had any issues with wifi, dead pixels, or light bleed.

The prime is a beast, great battery life, 1080p videos playback nice and smooth, and I think it's the perfect size for the screen on a tablet. If you can get past the GPS, and random reboots very rarely, you can't go wrong with the Prime.