News to me

2385amh

Reaction score
Okay so I know that a few months ago the courts said that we can legally root/jailbreak our phones. The interesting thing to me was that the other day I was in Verizon and a store manager told me that rooting/ loading custom Roms will no longer void your warranty. I still see people on here as well as other forums talking about unrooting before going to verizon. I guess we dont need to anymore.
dancedroid

Anyone else have more information about this change.

swagmonster

Reaction score
See this is news to me hopefully this. Means we can stop worring about breaking out phones/ I'm still going to take precautions because who loves tweaking it out to ur prefs then having to redo it all lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i would be very careful in this regard. as far as i know, there has been no actual court decision on rooting phones; rather, it was a regulatory/advisory body that came out with a policy statement which said that rooting should be permitted. this is not binding, legally, but simply a statement of policy (albeit, often times a persuasive statement).

even if there was a legal determination, VZW has never said that rooting your phone is impermissible. it has simply said that rooting will void your warranty. and, your warranty with VZW is a matter of contract - if VZW does not want to warranty your phone if you root it, they are pretty much within their rights to do so.

so, you are free to root your phone, and do with it what you want (you always have been). but, if something goes wrong with your phone, VZW isn't going to pay for it, and you'll bear the financial responsibility (which usually means paying full retail for a new phone).

swagmonster

Reaction score
My question is why do moto and vzw give a crap, they can always repair them its not like they throw em out, PLUS they dont give u a NEW phone they give u. A referb,

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until you see something in writing (i.e. official policy change from VZW) and/or have a EUA that says similar don't trust it... Until then you are still bound by the original EUA that you signed when you activated the phone. Keep in mind that such legal precedents usually take a VERY long time to actually work their way down the system and take effect. Until VZW issues such a policy it's going to be based largely on individual store managers and their own decision(s). That said you can probably find such managers but then you are just as likely, or more so to find one(s) that will adhere to the current policies. The litigation said that rooting wasn't 'illegal' (i.e. criminal offense) not that manufactures and service providers had to cover damage(s) incurred by such actions, there's a HUGE difference (in short it means they can't cancel your policy or 'support' of your device like Apple tried to do).

swagmonster

Reaction score
Until you see something in writing (i.e. official policy change from VZW) and/or have a EUA that says similar don't trust it... Until then you are still bound by the original EUA that you signed when you activated the phone. Keep in mind that such legal precedents usually take a VERY long time to actually work their way down the system and take effect. Until VZW issues such a policy it's going to be based largely on individual store managers and their own decision(s). That said you can probably find such managers but then you are just as likely, or more so to find one(s) that will adhere to the current policies.
SOrry diddnt quite understand ur bit on the store managers

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
Husker do you know how long the droid 1 warranty lasts? Also I have insurance w/ best buy, have any info on that?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My question is why do moto and vzw give a crap, they can always repair them its not like they throw em out, PLUS they dont give u a NEW phone they give u. A referb,

Because in many instances (damaged/fried CPU for instance) they can't easily/quickly or cheaply fix it. Even if they could why should the companies have to pay when a consumers damage a device. If you take a hammer to your TV you don't expect the manufacture to replace it for free (well, you might, but most logical people wouldn't).

This is more applicable in this country where our devices are HEAVILY subsidized by the service providers (something unique to the US that really needs to end...) so in effect until the end of your contract you really haven't 'bought' the device as the cost of the device is differed through the length of your contract (primary reason cell service is so much more expensive in this country than others).

swagmonster

Reaction score
Ok so basically we havent actually bought our phones only but. A 150$ down payment, also if the cpus and chips arent fried all they do is sbf it and resell it, now i know we all can sbf but i think its bull they charge you for another phone if there just gunna take the one u gave back and resell it, now if the hardware is fried i would have no problem say yea i screwed up heres the 600

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
SOrry diddnt quite understand ur bit on the store managers

Store managers have quite a bit of 'wiggle room' with their customers (at least the corporate store managers). In most instances they have the final call of what to do for a customer that comes into their store and as such their policies generally permeate throughout the store on a number of issues (case in point the manager of my store here will always honor 'online only' promotions and do instant rebates for 'mail in' rebates when many others won't). As such if said manager(s) decide that they don't see rooting as a big issue they will likely take back rooted devices, just don't expect to be able to walk into every other VZW store and expect the same response (to ANY issue). It's similar to ongoing thread(s) about new plan pricing, some people call and the reps know nothing about it or are told it's 'not available' then call back to a different rep and get the plan.

But again, unless you see something in writing it's at the managers discretion (or until is DM tells him specifically one way or another).

Ok so basically we havent actually bought our phones only but. A 150$ down payment, also if the cpus and chips arent fried all they do is sbf it and resell it, now i know we all can sbf but i think its bull they charge you for another phone if there just gunna take the one u gave back and resell it, now if the hardware is fried i would have no problem say yea i screwed up heres the 600

They are still incurring a lot of expenses (shipping, repackaging, labor for flashing and testing ect.). Sure 'per unit' cost might not be much but when scaled it can become quite large. But at any rate it's generally a moot point as you can return the until to stock or (if the CPU is completely fried) it doesn't matter anyway. Or worse case accidentally drop in in the sink and take a warranty replacement for $80 (not the I or DroidForums.net advocate insurance fraud :icon_ nono:).

swagmonster

Reaction score
oh ok I took my old phone (bricked) to the store my rep was cool he saw it chuckled handed me a new droid2 and then the comp messed up printed out a free 100 rebate and he gave it to me lol I kno which rep I'm going to

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
oh ok I took my old phone (bricked) to the store my rep was cool he saw it chuckled handed me a new droid2 and then the comp messed up printed out a free 100 rebate and he gave it to me lol I kno which rep I'm going to

Sweet, yeah def go back to that store:icon_ banana: I've been rather annoyed with the discrepancy of service between locations here in Nashville alone. I now only go to one location because the manager there will do just about anything to keep his customers happy (he's saved me a ton of money and/or time with rebates and things, as such he has gotten much return business and several referrals from me).

swagmonster

Reaction score
Anyway nice talking to u guys thanks for the info i doubt ill show my face in this thread again but if i do ttyl

abcstyers

Reaction score

Verizon Wireless will never get a phone from me that they can re-sell... I have big hammers.