Verizon rep tell's me market is bad

johnzenobia

Reaction score
So I was having trouble with my Droid 1 and waiting for Verizon to send new one. While I was in the Verizon store the rep told me that the market is bad and antivirus app's "FRY THE MOTO DROID" ( I don't use anyway's) and that they will void warranty if it was on there. I argued that if that was true how could anyone know this. She had no answer. Just thought I would share that, probably why Verizon is starting their own market. I can see it now after verizon has their own market they will claim that if you use any app in the google market we will void your warranty. Just like big brother regulating everything we do.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would say 85% of VZW techs have not a clue what they are talking about, and that is probably being generous. If I understand correctly than the new market is going to be mostly v-cast apps. There is no way they would disable Google market.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Funny that many poeple have reported that Verizon reps installed AntiVirus and/or TaskKillers on their phones and now we have one saying AntiVirus will void your warranty. I would rather they said that then tell people to use them though. lol

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have had many conversations where a verizon person tries to tell me things that are dumb. Sad when I know more than them haha.

RoNYC

Reaction score
I too had similar experience. I hope by the time I'm due for an upgrade, Google revisits selling phones ala Nexus one. I would certainly jump on that.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
I have had many conversations where a verizon person tries to tell me things that are dumb. Sad when I know more than them haha.

Yeah I am with you on this one. It is sad when you say something simple that they should know, like for example who is your Chairman & CEO of Verizon? They look at you with a deer and headlights look. The answer is Ivan Seidenberg. These people should know more then me. If you learn your phones you get every upgrade and you come to fourms like this you will defeniatly know more then VzW person at the store, sad but true.

I have learned more about the Droid 1 on my own and here at Droid Fourms then I ever wanted to know. This site is the best in my opinion.

in the OP if this is true this could kill anyone wanting a smart phone. As i am sure like with the vcast apps you will have to pay. I think that might just deter some of the dev's to go else where as I am assuming the development with the new market would be closed source. Just my 2 cents..

Time will tell and we will all see what actually happens. I am a firm beliver it is only a rumor until someone at a very high level puts it in writting and distributes it for the world to see.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be fair to the reps, they have to know a something about every phone they have out there. Naturally they are going to develop opinions and get misinformation.

If you look at Verizon's web site I recall seeing in there that it recommends you get a task killer. Most of us now realize this is bad info. But the reps just gather what they can on all the different phones and try and have a general knowledge about all of them.

We specialize in Android phones so yes, we know more then they do. They don't have that luxury.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
hook, you are correct. They need to know a little about each phone. However, i have asked several of the reps basic questions where they could not answer. I do not recall the exact questions at this time.

I also did ask them if they get trained on new phones coming out. They all told me yes and I left it at that. So I assume they get a basic overview just before the phone is launched on launch day.

maybe I am being a little harsh so forgive me, please....:)

Josefius

Reaction score
Yep, one told me that the Droid 2 would not have the slide out keyboard. I bet he feels stupid since the release.

I would say 85% of VZW techs have not a clue what they are talking about, and that is probably being generous. If I understand correctly than the new market is going to be mostly v-cast apps. There is no way they would disable Google market.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nateccnn

Reaction score
To be fair to the reps, they have to know a something about every phone they have out there. Naturally they are going to develop opinions and get misinformation.

If you look at Verizon's web site I recall seeing in there that it recommends you get a task killer. Most of us now realize this is bad info. But the reps just gather what they can on all the different phones and try and have a general knowledge about all of them.

We specialize in Android phones so yes, we know more then they do. They don't have that luxury.

And to be fair...every once in a while...there are some pretty dumb answers posted on this site too. It goes both ways. Every walk of life experiences the same thing. People think they know what they don't understand. It's human nature I guess. I do it too.

Nate

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
A Day In The Life Of A Verizon Rep

Just remember, A Verizon rep is just a normal person dressed up for work, they could either be stupid or really intelligent just like any person. They are not a god of cellphone information or masters of the art of Android, just a person paid to sell phones and service customer's billing or technical issues.

We see some of the most unintelligible people on a day to day basis and have to usually fight with them on incorrect information that they got from their cousin's friend's sister's bestfriend's diet coach that told them that we would give them 5 free Droids, even though they have one line of service, just because Verizon is in the market of giving away phones. Then, when we correct them, they say they are going to At&t to get the iPhone because they say they have been a loyal customer and pay a outrageous bill even though they only been with us 8 months and their bill averages about $55 a month.(Cant remember when my cellphone bill was that low nor your guys)

Even at that, that's our easy customers, try dealing with the customer's that thought the Kin was the Holy Grail of phones, those were some kooky customers because they thought the advertisements were awesome.

The matter of fact to my point, you guys are the true experts and OCD of the Android phones not sells reps. If you need quality answers, dont bother the weary, soul-broken Verizon rep, ask someone here for Android, Crackberry for Blackberries or XDA for WinMo phones, ??? for Symbian phones.(Who cares about those phones anyways)